Who Exactly is a "Re-Applicant"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueMoon22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know that if you apply to say, UC Davis, in one cycle, and then apply to UC Davis again the following cycle, then you are a reapplicant in UC Davis' eyes. However, if you apply in your second cycle to a school that you have never applied to, does that school see you as a first time applicant or a reapplicant? In other words, is there a way they can tell that this is the second cycle you are applying in if it's the first time you've ever applied to their school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you submit your app through amcas one year and submit again another you are a re-applicant. School's know even if you didn't apply to that school last year

Members don't see this ad :)
If you submit your app through amcas one year and submit again another you are a re-applicant. School's know even if you didn't apply to that school last year

Are you positive about this?

Hmm, I'm not so sure that it's that simple, felix2929. I called a UC med school to see what their take on it was and the lady said (granted she did not seem like she was an expert on the matter) that if you have never applied to the school before you are a first time applicant... even if you have applied in previous cycles to other schools. So, now I'm even more confused....

Does anyone else have an idea about this?

I stand corrected. According to AMCAS
You are only a reapplicant to schools that previously received an AMCAS application from you. For example, if you applied to School A and School B last year, then you would be considered a reapplicant at both of those schools if you are applying to them this year. You would not be considered a reapplicant at School C since you did not previously apply to that school.

You will indicate your reapplicant status per school in the Medical Schools section of your application.

You are only a reapplicant to schools that previously received an AMCAS application from you. For example, if you applied to School A and School B last year, then you would be considered a reapplicant at both of those schools if you are applying to them this year. You would not be considered a reapplicant at School C since you did not previously apply to that school.

You will indicate your reapplicant status per school in the Medical Schools section of your application.
Additionally, some schools have secondaries that ask if you are a re-applicant to medical school (not just to their school). Full disclosure is recommended.

Ah ok that's what i thought it was.

Additionally, some schools have secondaries that ask if you are a re-applicant to medical school (not just to their school). Full disclosure is recommended.

+1

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

who cares. as long you are a stronger candidate, I doubt schools give a cent with avg of 4k apps coming in,

Yeah, I think if a school asks you specifically on the secondary, then it might be something they take into consideration. Otherwise, I'd imagine they view you as a first time applicant so long as you haven't submitted an AMCAS app to that particular school.