How bad will 2 W's in my GPA comeback postbacc hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NuttyEngDude

Red-Flagville
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is really bad. I literally just went from being in contention for an A+ in a class to having a D average. To make a long story short, I fell asleep and forgot to turn in an assignment over the computer so I have a zero to be averaged in, but there are not a lot of points in my class. I calculated the points and if i were to get 100% on everything from now until the end, I could end up with a B. This is an unlikely scenario, so now I am faced with having to drop the class. Did I just screw myself out of med school? The prof and TA's are excessively unsympathetic so talking with them is not an option. I am certain if I withdraw and retake this class I can get an A+ in it and if i stick it through i would probably end up with a C. Can someone please give me some advice or at the very least some words of solace, I'm pretty upset about this.

The other W is from a year ago, I dropped a research lab for credit that I was not enjoying at all nor getting anything out of.

Members don't see this ad.

Feeling a little better now.....

Another way I would like to ask this question is, should I put in a gargantuan effort to try for the B at this point, with risk, or do I have a 'W' to "spend"?

Feeling a little better now.....

Another way I would like to ask this question is, should I put in a gargantuan effort to try for the B at this point, with risk, or do I have a 'W' to "spend"?

There are people applying with way more W's. If you're that concerned about making straight A's and need the gpa repair, then I don't see the problem with dropping.

I've messed up so bad during my earlier years, always taking Ws because of overloading my schedule. So I have 5 semesters left to get straight A's and NO W's!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're getting W's you're not doing a comeback yet. The comeback starts when the damage stops.

I'd take the B because it looks more responsible than a W. Cry me a river re: having to bust your ass for that B.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the dual perspectives. The work is not the tough part of the decision, I dont mean to convey that image. When I do mention the work, I mean it as a measurement of risk so high risk to me means high work because it is more places to "mess up" and more things to ensure it doesnt happen. Perhaps my point of view on this is wrong, but I hope you get the idea I am trying to say.

It is the risk, which is, that I could very well end up with a C (B is a slim chance) but if I were to get a W and then an A or A+, which would look better to AdComs? I calculated the GPA in the postbacc and with the C I would drop to a 3.9 post-bacc GPA or if I do the W then A, it remains at 4.0, going to about 70 hours of postbacc credit.

Are W's THAT bad to adcoms? And would a couple W's spread among a lot of credits be that bad? this would be the 2nd W in my life. Granted they are peppering what I expected to be a very warm comeback story.

edit: sorry for my neurosis in this, this situation took me by surprise and I want to make the best decision, I do not want it to seem like I am pushing or fishing for one way or the other.

2nd edit: the other thing is, in a way i'm trying to brute force my cGPA up, so that I get to 3.4 or 3.5 range, and with the C it affects the overall more adversely than the postbacc, but you get the idea. The CON i suppose would be it looks like I cant handle med school work, but the PRO is I'm already at 70 credits showing I can handle a full science load (maybe 64 out of the 70 is pure science?)...............is this something I can just call my target medical school and ask them? I dont want to be in a situation where just asking what is the right thing to do incriminates me :p

final edit: after a cup of coffee i've decided hard work never hurt anyone........ see you on the other side of the finish line.

Last edited:
I don't think your app gets thrown out because of a W or a B (or even a C) during post-bac, especially if you have a 3.9 in 70 hours. But I agree with Midlife: stick it out (which it looks like you decided to do). I can't believe that missing one assignment that's not a test can take you from an A+ to a D though, that seems pretty harsh.

Yep, it's harsh, the product of a very high requirement for grades 94% for an A, 85% for a B, combined with a 0 to be averaged in pulls it down. My D would be considered a C in other classes. I get the impression that others are doing poorly, so perhaps there will be a curve at the end despite her hard stance otherwise. She allows drop tests but the tests are not what's hurting me, these assignments were supposed to be grade boosters, except in my case.

I think we have until the end of the month for drop day so I can make a "final" decision then if I cant overcome the damage of the 0% assignment.

edit: for what it's worth i'm more upset that i messed up than anything she has done. my ego is hurt by my own mistake....i'm usually impervious to these type of things.... :p live and learn...

Last edited:
NED, I withdrew from a class in my PB, it wasn't even asked about... but it was my only W ever, in my entire college career...

If you really have to get 100% on everything for a B, take the W. Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. It's easy to get a 96% on one assignment and be designated a C. I have 1 W on my post-bacc work. I know it sucks, but it's a lot better than being pulled down by the 2.0.

If you really have to get 100% on everything for a B, take the W. Don't listen to anyone that says otherwise. It's easy to get a 96% on one assignment and be designated a C. I have 1 W on my post-bacc work. I know it sucks, but it's a lot better than being pulled down by the 2.0.

I agree with this. Plus if you end up taking the class again and getting an A i don't think many questions will be asked

Hello guys,
Thought I'd update you.........drop day is in a day or two and I am now at B- range. I will stick it out and probably end up with a B, I even have some wiggle room :D

If I had done that assignment I'd be sitting on an A now :mad:

Hello guys,
Thought I'd update you.........drop day is in a day or two and I am now at B- range. I will stick it out and probably end up with a B, I even have some wiggle room :D

i had two W for postbac.
and had A+ for them later.
Asked about, but was immediatley brushed aside.

Hello guys,

Good luck! Maybe the prof will curve and you'll get a B+ or A-.