My science gpa is pretty bad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okyeah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I have about a 2.97 sGPA calculated from 11 SH of chem, 8 SH physics - community college, 8SH biology, and 7 SH of english (I'm shooting for DO realistically).

I have not taken biochem or organic chem I/II.

I read Goro's guide but I'm a bit confused on how to fix my sGPA when a lot of the classes mentioned on the guide would not factor into it. I'm planning on a 2 year DIY post bacc. It looks like if I got A's in biochem + organic I/II it would put me at ~3.24 sGPA. Any advice is welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, biochem and both semesters of ochem are 3 of the most difficult science classes you will take. If you were asking this question after having achieved A's in those courses, I might be a little more optimistic about the trend, but at this point, you need to demonstrate that you can master the gatekeeper courses. Don't get me wrong; I don't agree that those subjects should necessarily be gatekeeper courses, but nonetheless, they are.

Unfortunately, biochem and both semesters of ochem are 3 of the most difficult science classes you will take. If you were asking this question after having achieved A's in those courses, I might be a little more optimistic about the trend, but at this point, you need to demonstrate that you can master the gatekeeper courses. Don't get me wrong; I don't agree that those subjects should necessarily be gatekeeper courses, but nonetheless, they are.

I see. I’m definitely worried because I’ve been out of school 5 years. I am choosing between an accelerated BSN and becoming a nurse by 2026 or doing a 2 year post bacc starting Fall 2024 and trying for DO.

I was thinking try the post bacc and if I fail I can just do nursing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone.

I have about a 2.97 sGPA calculated from 11 SH of chem, 8 SH physics - community college, 8SH biology, and 7 SH of english (I'm shooting for DO realistically).

I have not taken biochem or organic chem I/II.

I read Goro's guide but I'm a bit confused on how to fix my sGPA when a lot of the classes mentioned on the guide would not factor into it. I'm planning on a 2 year DIY post bacc. It looks like if I got A's in biochem + organic I/II it would put me at ~3.24 sGPA. Any advice is welcome.
The classes suggested in the guide would factor into it. Genetics, physiology, molecular biology, biochem II, immunology etc would go into the science GPA. Many of those classes are upper division courses in the biology department of colleges.

The classes suggested in the guide would factor into it. Genetics, physiology, molecular biology, biochem II, immunology etc would go into the science GPA. Many of those classes are upper division courses in the biology department of colleges.

Oh wow. Well if all those factor into sGPA then I can boost it very high potentially

Oh wow. Well if all those factor into sGPA then I can boost it very high potentially
I remember the post your shared last summer. You will probably want to ease back in with a class or two at first to get back to being a student again before taking more courses to show you can handle the workload.

I remember the post your shared last summer. You will probably want to ease back in with a class or two at first to get back to being a student again before taking more courses to show you can handle the workload.
Oh yes! Haha. Well I’ve finally come around to the time to return to school. I just got certified as a CNA and got an A in the course. I’ve been loading myself slowly with responsibility and volunteering. I’ll be starting work in a hospital this month.

I’m not sure if admissions frown upon starting slow? I thought ideally they love to see just a strict post-bacc as a full time student to show you can handle workload.

My anxiety about school has been lessened a bit for sure because I realize I’m not as out of touch as I thought as far as learning and my study methods.

I’m not sure if admissions frown upon starting slow? I thought ideally they love to see just a strict post-bacc as a full time student to show you can handle workload.
I started with an easy load before ramping up to a full load of science courses and had a successful application cycle.

Excelling with whatever you put on your plate and a strong performance on the MCAT should go a long way to proving your ability to handle the workload. Then it's about showing your understand of and suitability for the career.