"Fireside chat"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

A few classmates and I were thinking about doing either a Google+ hangout or making a YouTube video that answers some questions about medical school and life as a medical student. The four of us approach school pretty differently I think, and we each have different goals with respect to our careers, so I think each of us can bring a different perspective. Keep in mind that we are all second years, so our experience is relatively limited.

So, what questions do you have? What would you like to know? Obviously this is no different than what you might find on SDN, but this format will hopefully be a little more refreshing and interesting. If we get a good pool of questions, we'll figure out the details later and I'll post here what we ultimately decide to do. If there are too many questions, we'll try and pick the "big" or most widely applicable ones or perhaps make more videos in the future.

Stay tuned! But in the mean time, let me know what you would like to learn more about!

(sent from my phone)

Edit: Here is the completed video! Glad everyone enjoyed it.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ9F10djlZA[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Coming from my lack of experience with Google Hangout, I'd say youtube would be easier to access for everyone.

It may not be the most inspired question, but I'd ask that each of the panel members to go over what an average day is like for you, including weekday vs weekend.

Coming from my lack of experience with Google Hangout, I'd say youtube would be easier to access for everyone.

It may not be the most inspired question, but I'd ask that each of the panel members to go over what an average day is like for you, including weekday vs weekend.

Those were my thoughts as well, and I think we'll probably go with YouTube.

And awesome question - we'll definitely address this.

(sent from my phone)

Members don't see this ad :)
What extracurricular challenges did you face? For example, transportation issues, financial aid hold-ups, moving, etc.

Hey everyone,

A few classmates and I were thinking about doing either a Google+ hangout or making a YouTube video that answers some questions about medical school and life as a medical student. The four of us approach school pretty differently I think, and we each have different goals with respect to our careers, so I think each of us can bring a different perspective. Keep in mind that we are all second years, so our experience is relatively limited.

So, what questions do you have? What would you like to know? Obviously this is no different than what you might find on SDN, but this format will hopefully be a little more refreshing and interesting. If we get a good pool of questions, we'll figure out the details later and I'll post here what we ultimately decide to do. If there are too many questions, we'll try and pick the "big" or most widely applicable ones or perhaps make more videos in the future.

Stay tuned! But in the mean time, let me know what you would like to learn more about!

(sent from my phone)

I want to participate, if you guys have room.

What, if any, specialties are you headed towards and what steps have you taken in the first two years to get there?

Thanks for doing this, I anticipate great things.

we get to see nick naylor and mmmcdowe on the big (laptop) screen??? :D

TBH there is a lot of potential for your youtube idea (in terms of viewer #), if you title your video correctly. I've never seen a video where multiple medical students answer questions in a Q&A format.

Anyways... I would ask you to provide a basic outline of dates (when to start research, when to start volunteering, when to go to your school committee, when to apply, when to ask for LORS, when to send in LOIs, etc)

What advice would you give incoming medical students. Does this advice change for students coming with significant others or children?

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

The good old "What would you do differently if you were a pre-med now?" as well as "What are the things pre-meds on SDN worry about which based on your experience so far is wasted energy...?"

How much time do you have for yourself? Is your face in a book all day outside of lecture?

Seconded on the Youtube...Google Hangout isn't always supported with computers and can get really laggy.

One question would be how you study habits changed from undergrad (or post-baccs) to med school, if they changed at all.

This sounds like an amazing idea. My question: how much free time do you feel you have on weekends? Is it enough to take the occasional day off go to a concert or other recreational event, or do you have more time off that you could do a two to three day long backpacking trip every few weekends. Obviously while still keeping up class material and performing well on tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about research: Is it possible to do meaningful research and get published (maybe even get multiple pubs) to the degree that radonc requires (I've heard the average # of pubs for a radonc app is 8??) while still kicking ass in academics and maybe one or two other EC's? If so, any tips? How do you get on/juggle multiple projects simultaneously? How do you balance lab time vs. study time?

Constrasting life as a student in undergrad (especially the whole premed culture) and life as a student in medical school, what would you say is the biggest difference?

Question about research: Is it possible to do meaningful research and get published (maybe even get multiple pubs) to the degree that radonc requires (I've heard the average # of pubs for a radonc app is 8??) while still kicking ass in academics and maybe one or two other EC's? If so, any tips? How do you get on/juggle multiple projects simultaneously? How do you balance lab time vs. study time?

Took the words out of my mouth. Good question. :thumbup:

we get to see nick naylor and mmmcdowe on the big (laptop) screen??? :D

TBH there is a lot of potential for your youtube idea (in terms of viewer #), if you title your video correctly. I've never seen a video where multiple medical students answer questions in a Q&A format.

Anyways... I would ask you to provide a basic outline of dates (when to start research, when to start volunteering, when to go to your school committee, when to apply, when to ask for LORS, when to send in LOIs, etc)

NN is much prettier than me.

My question is:

What do you think the problems with modern medicine are?

Sent from my SGH-T759 using SDN Mobile

Awesome idea!

Maybe you guys could talk about what books each of you actually used/are using for the first/second years.

My question is:

What do you think the problems with modern medicine are?

Sent from my SGH-T759 using SDN Mobile

I could be wrong, but I don't think those are the type of questions they are looking for :D

It would be great if you guys could include a piece about your perceptions of what you wanted in a med school, how you came to your decision to attend your current school, and now do you think those things were really as important as you thought they were. And lastly if there's something else that you'd take into consideration about potential schools if you had to go through the app season again?

And I x1000 on the Youtube Video. I've never even heard of Google Hangout until this thread. :thumbup:

Deff interested!

What is studying like in Med school? How do you approach that?

A less serious albeit important question:

Nick, I understand you went to Baylor for UG. I'm assuming there were a lot of hot girlies. What's the general rule for the women of med school? DO you mostly have to look outside your class to find em?

Nick, I understand you went to Baylor for UG. I'm assuming there were a lot of hot girlies. What's the general rule for the women of med school? DO you mostly have to look outside your class to find em?

Baylor doesn't have any hot girls. You gotta go to UT or A&M for that.

(notsrs)

(kindasrs)

The more attractive women in healthcare tend to become PAs or RNs. If you were really that smart AND attractive, why would you be shooting for med school?

In the future, just quote this post, delete the quotes, and add your question to the list! That way we can keep everything organized. I've also taken the liberty of paraphrasing your questions; if I misunderstood what you asked, please let me know and/or make a post correcting it.

1) What's an average day like (weekdays and weekends)?
2) What kinds of challenges outside of academics have you faced?
3) What specialties are you interested in? What have you done to get there?
4) Advice for incoming students. What about those with children/SOs?
5) How much time do you have for yourself? Time outside of studying? Do you have time to do fun stuff on the weekend?
6) Is it possible to do significant research during school? How do you balance study time vs. other commitments?
7) How is life different between undergrad and med school?
8) What is studying in med school like? How do you approach it?

Hey everyone,

(sent from my phone)

You may already have this covered, but I was thinking you might want to have medical students that represent every type of curriculum available (traditional, pbl, etc) since their daily schedules/amount of free time may vary because of it.

2) What kinds of challenges outside of academics have you faced?
5) How much time do you have for yourself? Time outside of studying? Do you have time to do fun stuff on the weekend?
6) Is it possible to do significant research during school? How do you balance study time vs. other commitments?
9) Do you have a lot of interprofessional interaction within your curriculum?
10) Every school I've interviewed at has bragged about clinical exposure as an M1. Do you think that is important? Waste of time?

Lol, it depends on your approach. We have had a few intraclass couples, and I'm sure there are people who have sought out people outside of med school. We also have a married couple who are both in our class.

It depends on what you're looking for. You will almost certainly have the opportunity to pursue non-med students. Whether or not that's what you WANT is another thing. As in all situations, there will be weird people, normal people, and awesome people. Med school may attract more of the less normal people (on both sides of the curve), but I think it would be inaccurate to say that it's impossible to find normal, well-adjusted people in your class to date. Thinking there are only bizarre weirdos in med school is fallacious.

And Venom: I think the privileged, spoiled, wealthy Protestant girls at Baylor are, in general, pretty damn attractive. ;)

You may already have this covered, but I was thinking you might want to have medical students that represent every type of curriculum available (traditional, pbl, etc) since their daily schedules/amount of free time may vary because of it.

While there is definitely value in getting lots of opinions, that's not really my goal. When panels get too big, they become counterproductive and everyone gets very little time to speak. I would rather have a smaller group have the opportunity to speak more on things than a large group that only gets to speak very little (if at all). SDN is a great resource if to get very broad opinions with lots of different perspectives (and this isn't meant to be a substitute for SDN).

mmmc can provide some perspective from a different school - I'm not sure of Columbia is PBL or not, but he will at least have a different opinion than the rest of us.

I definitely understand what you're saying, though. I don't know about mmmc, but our curriculum has a little flavor of PBL. It's obviously no substitute for a full PBL curriculum, but we can provide at least a little perspective on what group/peer-based learning vs. traditional lecture is like.

I could be wrong, but I don't think those are the type of questions they are looking for :D

Just reread the first post and definitely agree that I was off with my question :D

2) What kinds of challenges outside of academics have you faced? (((Including relocation)))

In addition to #2: How was the adjustment for people who had to move out of state?

No questions yet. I just wanted to affirm you for doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Lol, it depends on your approach. We have had a few intraclass couples, and I'm sure there are people who have sought out people outside of med school. We also have a married couple who are both in our class.

It depends on what you're looking for. You will almost certainly have the opportunity to pursue non-med students. Whether or not that's what you WANT is another thing. As in all situations, there will be weird people, normal people, and awesome people. Med school may attract more of the less normal people (on both sides of the curve), but I think it would be inaccurate to say that it's impossible to find normal, well-adjusted people in your class to date. Thinking there are only bizarre weirdos in med school is fallacious.

And Venom: I think the privileged, spoiled, wealthy Protestant girls at Baylor are, in general, pretty damn attractive. ;)

Speaking of approach, have you found it more effective to open or close with the fact you are a medical student (when hitting up the non-med school hunnies). I would guess towards the close, like using it as the kicker.

Speaking of approach, have you found it more effective to open or close with the fact you are a medical student (when hitting up the non-med school hunnies). I would guess towards the close, like using it as the kicker.

Hmm, I don't think you know too much about him :laugh:

You're kidding, right?

I'd be interested in just generally knowing what your different goals/perspectives are. What your career goals, and how have you been working towards them while in school? What are your different "approaches" to medical school?

I live with my girlfriend so these days are behind me. ;)

(sent from my phone)

I'd be interested in just generally knowing what your different goals/perspectives are. What your career goals, and how have you been working towards them while in school? What are your different "approaches" to medical school?

This is a great question and I think you'll get a different perspective from all of us. We a approach school differently and have very different goals with respect to what we want from and hope to achieve within medicine. We'll definitely discuss this stuff.

(sent from my phone)

I live with my girlfriend so these days are behind me. ;)

(sent from my phone)

Just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean you can't still look at the menu. :D

Lol jk, but that's cool man. Maybe you can allude to what it's like having a relationship in med school, contrasting successful ones with failed ones, how you are able to find a fine balance between the two extremes of never seeing them because of work and then seeing them so often you become sick of them.

Last edited:
Just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean you can't still look at the menu. :D

Lol jk, but that's cool man. Maybe you can allude to what it's like having a relationship in med school, contrasting successful ones with failed ones, how you are able to find a fine balance between the two extremes of never seeing them because of work and then seeing them so often you become sick of them.

Here's something related, on LDRs.

The single most important thing for a med school long distance relationship is strong dialogue with your significant other. Before you have fully transitioned into med school mode, the best thing you can do for your relationship is have a long, meaningful discussion about your relationship.
In some ways, if your SO is also in medical school LDRs can be easier on at least a philosophical level. If not, you need to prepare your SO for the fact that there will be times where you will be too busy with school work, too tired, or too frazzled to talk with them. It requires tolerance and the willing-ness to be flexible with plans and, if you pass out during your Skype date still reeking of formaldyhede, they must have the good humor to pick up the phone and find some friends to spend the evening with instead of you. This is not, however, a one way street. You too must be willing to make sacrifices for this to work. Medical school was the first time in my adult life that I have voluntarily missed a lecture of class. There will be times post-exam when your SO needs you and, though NYC calls to you, you must abstain and make up some of that time that you missed while cramming. If you are like me and require more extensive travel, make sure to pull up the year's exam and vaca-tion schedule ASAP and plan out all possible trips. Don't hesitate to make up a few extra days of lecture online so that you can turn a 3-day weekend with your honey into a 5 day one. As time goes on, you begin to cut back on study-ing some as your efficiency increase (or your standards decrease). If you make it through the first rough 1-2 months of adjustment, things tend to go much smoother. Clinical year can be a bit more difficult in terms of you going to visit your SO, but there is time to do it.

Last edited:
What is your weekly schedule, including recreation, work out, etc....?

Here's something related, on LDRs.

The single most important thing for a med school long distance relationship is strong dialogue with your significant other. Before you have fully transitioned into med school mode, the best thing you can do for your relationship is have a long, meaningful discussion about your relationship.
In some ways, if your SO is also in medical school LDRs can be easier on at least a philosophical level. If not, you need to prepare your SO for the fact that there will be times where you will be too busy with school work, too tired, or too frazzled to talk with them. It requires tolerance and the willing-ness to be flexible with plans and, if you pass out during your Skype date still reeking of formaldyhede, they must have the good humor to pick up the phone and find some friends to spend the evening with instead of you. This is not, however, a one way street. You too must be willing to make sacrifices for this to work. Medical school was the first time in my adult life that I have voluntarily missed a lecture of class. There will be times post-exam when your SO needs you and, though NYC calls to you, you must abstain and make up some of that time that you missed while cramming. If you are like me and require more extensive travel, make sure to pull up the year’s exam and vaca-tion schedule ASAP and plan out all possible trips. Don’t hesitate to make up a few extra days of lecture online so that you can turn a 3-day weekend with your honey into a 5 day one. As time goes on, you begin to cut back on study-ing some as your efficiency increase (or your standards decrease). If you make it through the first rough 1-2 months of adjustment, things tend to go much smoother. Clinical year can be a bit more difficult in terms of you going to visit your SO, but there is time to do it.

Thanks for the informative and timely response.

Another question would be do most ppl going to medical school have a significant other? I know med school is quite a defined and rigid path and you can project where you will be in your career and what you will be doing many decades away. Maybe for whatever reason ppl are motivated to pursue such a predictable, stable path is also the reason a lot of ppl are involved in long distance/long term relationships in med school?

Personally, the idea of too much definition this early in my life is just something I am completely uninterested in. I'm pumped for starting the path down med school, but I don't feel like I could get excited about starting down that long relationship path with a significant other at this point or any point in the near future!

Can I get an Amen?

Thanks for the informative and timely response.

Another question would be do most ppl going to medical school have a significant other? I know med school is quite a defined and rigid path and you can project where you will be in your career and what you will be doing many decades away. Maybe for whatever reason ppl are motivated to pursue such a predictable, stable path is also the reason a lot of ppl are involved in long distance/long term relationships in med school?

Personally, the idea of too much definition this early in my life is just something I am completely uninterested in. I'm pumped for starting the path down med school, but I don't feel like I could get excited about starting down that long relationship path with a significant other at this point or any point in the near future!

Can I get an Amen?

I think there are more people in SERIOUS relationships (vs. "I have a boyfriend/girlfriend), but I think the ratio of taken/single is pretty preserved.

2) What kinds of challenges outside of academics have you faced? (((Including relocation)))

In addition to #2: How was the adjustment for people who had to move out of state?

That sums it up pretty well.

I think there are more people in SERIOUS relationships (vs. "I have a boyfriend/girlfriend), but I think the ratio of taken/single is pretty preserved.

Forever alone. :(

This sounds like a really inane question (someone probably mentioned it), but when is the best time to study for Step 1 exam?

That sums it up pretty well.

Forever alone. :(

This sounds like a really inane question (someone probably mentioned it), but when is the best time to study for Step 1 exam?

Most people seem to do some mild review in the few months leading up to the exam, but it really doesn't pick up until your actual dedicated time. Just like the MCAT, though, each person has a slightly different strategy and approach depending upon what they need to work on and what works best for them.

(sent from my phone)

9) What are your tips for surviving/adjusting in the first couple of months?
10) Looking back now, what would you have done differently to maximize success with Anatomy?

Great idea BTW