My Loan Repayment Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bnwj89

SPT
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alrighty, here's the breakdown I spent a while doing tonight. I know it's not perfect, so any feedback is appreciated :) I want to make sure I am not missing anything big

I currently have 32K in undergraduate loans, at 6.8% interest (mostly subsidized)

My program will cost 79K. Will be completely covered by Stafford Loans, unsubsidized, 6.8% interest

Cost of living will be about 45K (roughly 15K a year). My girlfriend is coming with me (we plan to get engaged after I graduate, she graduated with a business degree and is looking for an entry-level job) is able to get a good job, maybe this can be trimmed down to about 35K. This will be paid with gradPLUS loans, at 7.9% interest.

That leaves me with a grand total of $156,000 in debt.

I used financial aid calculators to calculate that if I want to pay this off in 5 years, I will need to pay about $3100 per month. To pay it off in 10 years, I will need to pay about $1800 per month. To pay it off in 20 years, I would have to pay about $1100 per month.

I will most likely get a job in a SNF (seemingly highest paying area of PT outside of traveling, I did a lot of observation in SNF and enjoyed it) and make about 70K. With PRN jobs on some weekends, I can probably realistically make a grand total of $80K per year.

Assuming I live in a state with roughly 5% income tax, and assuming 401K employer max matching at 6% of my income, I used a payroll calculator to calculate that my take home pay will be about $51K a year, or $4,250 per month.

If I pay $1800 per month in student loans, that leaves me with $2450 per month. I realize that isnt a ton, but it is equivalent to grossing 43K per year (subtracting federal tax, state tax, and 6% taken out for retirement)

This, added with my (eventual) wife's salary, I think we will be okay :) Might have to wait a while to buy a house, but I am okay with that.

Members don't see this ad.

You're wise to run the numbers ahead of time, congrats. A couple of comments:
- did the payroll calculator take into account FICA and Medicare taxes? They would lope 7.65% (6.2% for FICA and 1.45% for Medicare) off your gross pay;
- I'd re-run the numbers with a 7% or 8% state tax rate;
- if you have access to tax software I'd plug those numbers into it and play out different scenarios. You can go to TaxAct.com and do it for free.

You could also consider working in a rural area and not necessarily working in a SNF. I work OP ortho mainly with some IP at a critical-access hospital in Nebraska. I also do PRN on the side at a couple places one or two weekends a month. Anything I pay toward student loans is in addition to what my employer pays every month. It's not a bad deal though I understand working in a rural area is not for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
So your employer pays some of your student loans? How much?

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you make at your regular job, and how much doing PRN work? I am very curious because I live in south dakota right now, about 10 min from the Nebraska border. I wouldn't mind at all working and living in a rural setting after I graduate

Sent from my XT907 using SDN Mobile

The max amount of Stafford loans a graduate student can borrow per year is $20,500. So, your entire tuition will not be covered with the Stafford loan and you'll have to borrow the rest with the Grad Plus loan at the 7.9% interest rate.

The max amount of Stafford loans a graduate student can borrow per year is $20,500. So, your entire tuition will not be covered with the Stafford loan and you'll have to borrow the rest with the Grad Plus loan at the 7.9% interest rate.

Sorry I should have clarified, because I thought that exact same thing at first. My school's financial aid office explained to me that for them, 2 semesters are an "academic year". 8 semesters, ~80K total, so each semester is about 10K. 20.5K split into two semesters, so tuition is covered by the Stafford Loans.

I am not sure how it works or how we are able to get the full 20.5K for two semesters, but I am very happy it works that way!

Thank you for the information. I will definitely need to discuss that with my school's financial aid office!

Sorry I should have clarified, because I thought that exact same thing at first. My school's financial aid office explained to me that for them, 2 semesters are an "academic year". 8 semesters, ~80K total, so each semester is about 10K. 20.5K split into two semesters, so tuition is covered by the Stafford Loans.

I am not sure how it works or how we are able to get the full 20.5K for two semesters, but I am very happy it works that way!

I only get $ 20500 per year so after I read this I went by my fin aid office and was told that this would not change even though I am taking a summer semester all three years. I asked her if there was any research she could do since it looks like other schools are able to do it but she explained that there really is nothing they can do.
What school are you attending. Are you at a private school and does that change the rules? And if anyone has any more experience in this area I would love to hear more.

My classes run July through end of May, school counts it as 2 sem...with tuition being charged / paid in July and January.....however several classes overlap w/ different start and end dates, some run longer than others..........We break for the month of June. Schools w/ June start dates may have an issue due to when Gov. releases the loan money. Believe " new " cycle starts in July. It's government.............