04/24/09 mcat club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

I started this thread for those taking the MCAT on 04/24/09, I searched this site but couldn't find any thread for this test date. I just registered today, and I'm looking forward to 2.5 months of cranium-busting so that I can put this "four-letter-word" behind me once and for all!!!! :diebanana:

So sign up people and lets support, motivate and try to keep each other sane!! Best of luck to everyone testing on this date and any date for that matter!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdoctobe
how bad is the 7 in verbal going to hurt me?
13PS
7 V
11 Bio
Q
31Q
I'm planning on applying TX (in-state) and broadly to out of state schools. GPA 3.5; any recommendations of schools that won't knock me out b/c of the 7?

Wrt the in-state schools, I don't think that it will be as much of a problem as out-of-state schools, as TX seems to have their own system. Was the VR score an anomaly or has this typically been an issue in the past (i.e. is English your second language)? If the VR is as a result of ESOL, and Spanish, for example, is your dominant language, then you likely have zero problems in Texas, especially if you can weave a compelling story into your personal statement or secondaries. Just my opinion, though, and what I know about the need for Spanish-speaking healthcare providers in TX...

Thanks for your response. I have an 8 on my previous Verbal Score. My previous score was a Verbal 8, 9 PS, 10 Bio M.....and my second attempt (april 2009) was a Verbal 7, PS 13, Bio 11 Q - so overall, I raised it by 4. I wish English was my second language. I don't have a good reason for scoring so low, but I studied really hard for all of the sections because I knew I needed to increase my score in all the sections. I really don't want to retake, because I risk going down in the sciences. During my practice tests, I was pretty consistently getting a 13 in PS and between a 10-11 in Bio and a 7-9 in Verbal. I feel like retaking would be risky.

VR - 11
PS - 10
Writing - Q
BS - 9
Composite - 30Q

Blah. Not exactly what I was hoping for.... :(

So since everyone else seems to be doing it, here's a "what are my chances" thing.

3.5 cumulative and science GPA.

1 year of research

100 hours of shadowing experience

1 year in a leadership program that included community service

A science-related job...this one's hard to explain. I work with pigs engineered to produce Factor IX...so it's somewhat pharmaceutical related. I am responsible for the health of the pigs, so I administer medicine to them and keep health logs, and I help with the extraction of Factor IX. I don't really know what to consider this experience though...

A non-science related job where I am an assistant manager

As far as clubs: AMSA and a weekly bible study, but that's about it. I've been in Relay for Life for every year since I was 16 and I put a lot of time into that, too.

Oh yeah, Virginia resident, if that matters. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Be careful not to contract the swine flu!
icon4.gif

So since everyone else seems to be doing it, here's a "what are my chances" thing.

A science-related job...this one's hard to explain. I work with pigs engineered to produce Factor IX...so it's somewhat pharmaceutical related. I am responsible for the health of the pigs, so I administer medicine to them and keep health logs, and I help with the extraction of Factor IX. I don't really know what to consider this experience though...