04/24/09 mcat club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

I started this thread for those taking the MCAT on 04/24/09, I searched this site but couldn't find any thread for this test date. I just registered today, and I'm looking forward to 2.5 months of cranium-busting so that I can put this "four-letter-word" behind me once and for all!!!! :diebanana:

So sign up people and lets support, motivate and try to keep each other sane!! Best of luck to everyone testing on this date and any date for that matter!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got: 27M
PS: 9
Verbal: 8
BS:10

So tell me please, have I screwed it up big time? My sGPA is 3.6 and my cGPA is 3.8 (undergrad 3.4 post grad 4.0) and I've got about 160 hours community service. My school list was:

U of ArkansasU of ArizonaStanfordU of Southern CaliforniaUC IrvineUCLAUCSDUCSFU of ConnecticutGeorgetownHowardFlorida StateEmoryU of Hawai'iCarver-IowaU of ChicagoBostonUSUHSJohns HopkinsWashington UU of N. CarolinaWake ForestDukeAlbanySUNY DownstateColumbiaOhio StateU of ToledoOHSUDrexelU of PittsburghVanderbiltU of WashingtonU of Wisconsin

But now I have to take out the high tier schools of course. What do you guys think?

That doesn't leave a whole lot.:( Have you considered retaking?

MCAT in Sept 2008: 28R Composite Score
VR 06 - PS 12 - WS R - BS 10

MCAT in April 2009: 33R Composite Score
VR 11 - PS 11 - WS R - BS 11

OK, so really, I am a bit puzzled at my score. :confused:

I'm lovin' the VR score :), but I am totally shocked by the sciences. I thought I'd easily get a 13+ (but at the very least a 12!) in BS and I thought I did better in PS as well. :scared:

Overall however, I really can't complain, since each of my sections will probably exceed the cut-offs at all of the schools I apply to! :thumbup: (Although this score is quite a bit lower when compared to my AAMC average, which was in the high 30s I believe...)

I guess ppl were well justified in saying that the PS/BS sections were very difficult...I didn't think they were, but they were clearly tougher than I thought.

Good luck to everyone else who hasn't checked! :xf:

I'm lovin' the VR score :), but I am totally shocked by the sciences. I thought I'd easily get a 13+ (but at the very least a 12!) in BS and I thought I did better in PS as well. :scared:

Overall however, I really can't complain, since each of my sections will probably exceed the cut-offs at all of the schools I apply to! :thumbup: (Although this score is quite a bit lower when compared to my AAMC average, which was in the high 30s I believe...)

I guess ppl were well justified in saying that the PS/BS sections were very difficult...I didn't think they were, but they were clearly tougher than I thought.

Congratulations on your improvement.:)

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats on the improvements, and enjoy your celebration!!!

So since I am retaking in August should I apply early and then send my new scores when they come out? I can opt not to send the current scores correct? I have all my essays etc. finished just need to finish the AAMC app.

Myuu-Yeah I have but I'm in New Zealand so I'd have to go to Australia to retake. Would you recommend that I do a Master's then reapply?

AAMC Average
PS: 09
VR: 10
BS: 10
Total: 29

Real Scores
PS: 09
VR: 11
BS: 10
Total: 30O

I am perfectly happy with this score : ]

Myuu-Yeah I have but I'm in New Zealand so I'd have to go to Australia to retake. Would you recommend that I do a Master's then reapply?

I don't know if a master's would be all that beneficial to you, as it looks like your GPA and coursework may be just fine. If your ECs, PS, and clinical experience are solid, the MCAT may be the only barrier (unless you're an international student, in which case that's a whole other can of worms that I know nothing about). At the very least, I'd say take some time off to study and sit for the test again.:thumbup:

is it just me, or does it seem like there are alot of scores on the lower end this time?

I've seen a few 35+ ppl here, but where are all of the BIG players like other test dates that get 39s and 40s?

is it just me, or does it seem like there are alot of scores on the lower end this time?

I've seen a few 35+ ppl here, but where are all of the BIG players like other test dates that get 39s and 40s?

They'll find their way here eventually. It is inevitable. :)

So since I am retaking in August should I apply early and then send my new scores when they come out? I can opt not to send the current scores correct? I have all my essays etc. finished just need to finish the AAMC app.

I don't think you can just opt to not send older scores. The scores are automatically submitted to AMCAs and for Texas schools they want all the scores that are available.

But if you just do better the next time and it should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do we narrow down schools? I mean are there any schools that are safety schools for everyone?

How do we narrow down schools? I mean are there any schools that are safety schools for everyone?

There is no such thing as a safety school.:( The WAMC sub-forum has a nice spreadsheet that can help you do a numerical once-over, though.:thumbup:

They'll find their way here eventually. It is inevitable. :)

Or, perhaps, this was the hardest MCAT administration of all time? :rolleyes:

Sometime to think about....

No I kid...although this thread was a lot less popular than other MCAT admins so there'll be less score posts overall and therefore less 98th+ percentile scores.

AAMC Average - I can't fully recall the individual score, but this is where it was around.
PS: 13
BS: 13
Total: 37

Real Scores
PS: 14
BS: 15
Total: 40Q

Although I'm extatic with my score, I still feel like my chances of getting into a med school are not any better than anyone else's because this was the third time I took the MCAT. I scored a 37 the last time, applied for 3 years straight with a PhD in biochem, and all that didn't get me into a med school.

But take it from me, there's no barrier that won't break when being banged on by a persistent, thick skull (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

Good luck to everyone with apps and getting letters of rec.

AAMC Average - I can't fully recall the individual score, but this is where it was around.
PS: 13
Total: 37

Real Scores

Although I'm extatic with my score, I still feel like my chances of getting into a med school are not any better than anyone else's because this was the third time I took the MCAT. I scored a 37 the last time, applied for 3 years straight with a PhD in biochem, and all that didn't get me into a med school.

But take it from me, there's no barrier that won't break when being banged on by a persistent, thick skull (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

Good luck to everyone with apps and getting letters of rec.

That suggests to me that the MCAT wasn't the obstacle. Have you addressed other potential weaknesses in your application?

Real Scores

I feel as if I could have just as easily gotten this score....despite the fact that mine doesn't even compare. The MCAT is such a crapshoot, just like this whole application process! :confused:

Great score and good luck with the rest of your application! :luck:

I feel as if I could have just as easily gotten this score....despite the fact that mine doesn't even compare. The MCAT is such a crapshoot, just like this whole application process! :confused:

Great score and good luck with the rest of your application! :luck:

Wrong! The MCAT is statistically-graded. It is your personal perception of it that changes. Perhaps it was not that you did poorly, but that others did relatively well. :)

That suggests to me that the MCAT wasn't the obstacle. Have you addressed other potential weaknesses in your application?

There's nothing I could do about my undergrad GPA of 3.4. But I did manage to get a 3.9 in grad school.

But research ate up all my time and I had only 2 hours to give a week volunteering at the local hospital.

Since finishing the thesis, I've been volunteering 7 hours a week at a homeless outreach program once a week (since October) and at the local emergency room for about 4 hours a week (since October). I've also had a chance to shadow a couple of doctors for a total of about 20 hours to see what I really want to do once med school is done.

I hope that was the weakness in the past. But I can only guess. Wish there was a bit more transparency to the application process.

Wrong! The MCAT is statistically-graded. It is your personal perception of it that changes. Perhaps it was not that you did poorly, but that others did relatively well. :)

Yeah that's clearly true, but that was as close as possible to a dream BS section for me, so I thought for sure 13+.

So either I bubbled the wrong choices (!), or I forgot the basic sciences pertinent to my undergraduate major! :eek:

I can reason my PS score, but it's really the BS score that puzzles me!

...Nice MCAT yourself Myuu! (but who cares now, you're a matriculant! :))

There's nothing I could do about my undergrad GPA of 3.4. But I did manage to get a 3.9 in grad school.

But research ate up all my time and I had only 2 hours to give a week volunteering at the local hospital.

Since finishing the thesis, I've been volunteering 7 hours a week at a homeless outreach program once a week (since October) and at the local emergency room for about 4 hours a week (since October). I've also had a chance to shadow a couple of doctors for a total of about 20 hours to see what I really want to do once med school is done.

I hope that was the weakness in the past. But I can only guess. Wish there was a bit more transparency to the application process.

Sounds like you've made solid progress in that area. I hope the med schools agree this year. :D

Yeah that's clearly true, but that was as close as possible to a dream BS section for me, so I thought for sure 13+.

So either I bubbled the wrong choices (!), or I forgot the basic sciences pertinent to my undergraduate major! :eek:

I can reason my PS score, but it's really the BS score that puzzles me!

...Nice MCAT yourself Myuu! (but who cares now, you're a matriculant! :))

Eh, either way you did well! What's done is done. :) And thanks.:D

previous score SEPT 2007
30Q
9 V
10 B
11 PS

APRIL 2009 SCORE
27Q
6 V
10 B
11 PS

I think the only thing I can do is really just apply early and broadly and hope that some schools look at my first score...
FML

Really work on your sciences - it's where the most "bang for the buck" lies during a short time (between now and july).

I was doing good on AAMC tests, lowest being 28 and highest 32 but idk what happened on test day, 25M....,im applying to mostly DO schools with a 3.3gpa....do i still have a shot?

previous score SEPT 2007
30Q
9 V
10 B
11 PS

APRIL 2009 SCORE
27Q
6 V
10 B
11 PS

I think the only thing I can do is really just apply early and broadly and hope that some schools look at my first score...
FML

The first time I got a VR 6 I thought it was an anomaly (I was so close to contesting it)....it looks like you can score higher in VR, so if you can and are willing, I'd re-write ASAP so that the sciences are still somewhat fresh! :)

My VR jumped 5 points this time around (from 6 to 11) so massive gains can be seen! :thumbup:

Last edited:
AAMC average

VR 8.5
PS 10
BS 10.5

Actual Scores

VR 10!!!
PS 10
WS M
BS 13!!!!!

33M !!

I nearly shat myself when I saw those numbers! I've been having nightmares for days about this! I'm really proud of myself!

sept 08

VR 8
PS 8
BS 9

APRIL 09

VR 6
PS 10
BS 10

Can someone please tell me what to do? i am literally having a breakdown :( my overall improvement was 1 point. And i went down in VR to a 6. What does this do for me? :( :(

sept 08

VR 8
PS 8
BS 9

APRIL 09

VR 6
PS 10
BS 10

Can someone please tell me what to do? i am literally having a breakdown :( my overall improvement was 1 point. And i went down in VR to a 6. What does this do for me? :( :(

The science improvement is good. Apply EARLY, and think about DO as well. If you don't get anywhere this cycle, then retake.

I was doing good on AAMC tests, lowest being 28 and highest 32 but idk what happened on test day, 25M....,im applying to mostly DO schools with a 3.3gpa....do i still have a shot?

Sure, especially if you can get a couple more points on the test. A little higher MCAT will help balance your little bit lower GPA/

previous score SEPT 2007
30Q
9 V
10 B
11 PS

APRIL 2009 SCORE
27Q
6 V
10 B
11 PS

FML

According to your MDApps, you're applying both MD & DO? Apply as early as you can. Your sciences are stable, so it's not THAT awful. Plus, some schools do take your highest score (check MSAR).

AAMC average:
12 P (11-13)
10 V (9-11)
11 B (10-12)

Actual:
9 P
10 V
11 B

30P

Well, thought i got completely owned(< 30), so I guess I can't be too disappointed. Not sure what to make of it and whether or not I should apply this cycle or study and retake for next yr. What really gets me is physical sciences was my forte, but that doesn't quite show in my scores :(

AAMC average:
12 P (11-13)
10 V (9-11)
11 B (10-12)

Actual:
9 P
10 V
11 B

30P

Well, thought i got completely owned(< 30), so I guess I can't be too disappointed. Not sure what to make of it and whether or not I should apply this cycle or study and retake for next yr. What really gets me is physical sciences was my forte, but that doesn't quite show in my scores :(

What're your GPA/EC's?

As I said a page back or so, 30 is still the average for matriculants into med school. It's a balanced score too, so you probably have a decent shot. The CA state of residency would be the only thing holding you back - but if you apply broadly, I don't see why you wouldn't have a chance this cycle.

AAMC average:
PS: 10

Actual:
PS: 11
BS: 11

33R

I have a 3.9 gpa and 3 summers of research experience; is this enough to give me a shot at an md/phd program?

What're your GPA/EC's?

As I said a page back or so, 30 is still the average for matriculants into med school. It's a balanced score too, so you probably have a decent shot. The CA state of residency would be the only thing holding you back - but if you apply broadly, I don't see why you wouldn't have a chance this cycle.

Cumulative and science GPA are in the 3.7ish range and countless hours of research (no pubs, though), decent clinical experience in the form of volunteer work in a mobile clinic working with the indigent population, and a couple various other things involving community service. I took a look at your EC list, though, and I'm no where near your involvement!

Real MCAT:
PS:11
VR:9
BS:13
Writing:M
=33M

This is sort of in line with what my AAMC scores were for the middle portion of my studying for the MCAT but I'm a little bummed that I didn't get the AAMC scores I worked up to ~35-37. Is my score (verbal/writing) too unbalanced? Will a 4.0GPA compensate for the low verbal? I'm applying in-state (Hawaii). Thanks.

Almost had a heart attack prior to clicking log in but here it is:

I went through AAMC #3-8 and averaged:
PS - 8
VR - 10
BS - 8
Total: 26

I took the 9/3/08 MCAT and disaster:
PS - 9
VR - 8
BS - 8
25 Q

Then studied some more, took AAMC #3-10
AAMC average:
PS - 9
VR - 10
BS - 9
Average 28

Retook on 4/4/09 but the PS section killed me because I refused to give up on the first two passages which were killer passages, I ran out of time and then guessed on the entire last passage...voided.

One month later, not much hardcore studying, just a passage here and there, took the 4/24/09 MCAT:
PS - 10
VR - 11
BS - 9
Average 30 Q !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relieved to say the least. Very satisfied. I'm in Texas and am applying only in state.

Good luck to the rest of you!

When you studying more what exactly did you do?

Between the first two MCATs I continuted taking pre reqs (I'm a non-traditional, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering). So I took Genetics and Microbiology. Prior to my very first MCAT in 2008 I took three months to go over some Princeton Review books that a friend gave me from the class she took. During this time I was learning a lot of the material and not just studying it. So I hardly got to give some subjects more than a look through. Then I took the september mcat and didn't do so hot. Afterwards, I just took those classes and continued going through the questions in the PR books. At that point I had two AAMCs I hadn't done yet so I did those too. Then I took the 4/4 MCAT with a ridiculous amount of determination which ended up screwing me because I wouldn't give up on the tough passages and move on. That's about all I did...

AAMC average:

Actual:
PS: 11

33R

I have a 3.9 gpa and 3 summers of research experience; is this enough to give me a shot at an md/phd program?

You've got pretty much the same stats as me.... I havn't gotten my MCAT scores back though... but 33ish was my average (with probably a standard deviation of 3. I'm praying that's enough for some mstp program. I'm probably going to be retaking though. It seems something around a 36 is the average for most md/phd programs. :( atleast your score is well rounded though. you've probably got a decent shot. From the grading scales i've seen there really isn't too much difference between 11-13s, and I think most med schools would know that.

Last edited:
AAMC average:
PS: 12
BS: 12

Actual:

31R. good enough for me.
Third times a charm....25Q and 27Q first two.

You've got pretty much the same stats as me.... I havn't gotten my MCAT scores back though... but 33ish was my average (with probably a standard deviation of 3. I'm praying that's enough for some mstp program. I'm probably going to be retaking though. It seems something around a 36 is the average for most md/phd programs. :( atleast your score is well rounded though. you've probably got a decent shot. From the grading scales i've seen there really isn't too much difference between 11-13s, and I think most med schools would know that.

there's a big difference between 11 and 13, and med schools know that. med schools initially ONLY care about #s. it's lame. they look beyond #s once you get the interview.

haha, did you seriously calculate the standard deviation for your AAMC average!? hehehe

good job everyone!! like I posted earlier, just about everyone got their AAMC average. that's a relief for me! 1 weeeek

Almost had a heart attack prior to clicking log in but here it is:

I went through AAMC #3-8 and averaged:
PS - 8
VR - 10
BS - 8
Total: 26

I took the 9/3/08 MCAT and disaster:
PS - 9
VR - 8
BS - 8
25 Q

Then studied some more, took AAMC #3-10
AAMC average:
PS - 9
VR - 10
BS - 9
Average 28

Retook on 4/4/09 but the PS section killed me because I refused to give up on the first two passages which were killer passages, I ran out of time and then guessed on the entire last passage...voided.

One month later, not much hardcore studying, just a passage here and there, took the 4/24/09 MCAT:
PS - 10
VR - 11
BS - 9
Average 30 Q !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relieved to say the least. Very satisfied. I'm in Texas and am applying only in state.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Congrats!!!

Real MCAT:
PS:11
VR:9
BS:13
Writing:M
=33M

This is sort of in line with what my AAMC scores were for the middle portion of my studying for the MCAT but I'm a little bummed that I didn't get the AAMC scores I worked up to ~35-37. Is my score (verbal/writing) too unbalanced? Will a 4.0GPA compensate for the low verbal? I'm applying in-state (Hawaii). Thanks.

Your science scores (esp. BS) are great. You should be fine. Apply early and :luck: !!

how bad is the 7 in verbal going to hurt me?
13PS
7 V
11 Bio
Q
31Q
I'm planning on applying TX (in-state) and broadly to out of state schools. GPA 3.5; any recommendations of schools that won't knock me out b/c of the 7?

Wrt the in-state schools, I don't think that it will be as much of a problem as out-of-state schools, as TX seems to have their own system. Was the VR score an anomaly or has this typically been an issue in the past (i.e. is English your second language)? If the VR is as a result of ESOL, and Spanish, for example, is your dominant language, then you likely have zero problems in Texas, especially if you can weave a compelling story into your personal statement or secondaries. Just my opinion, though, and what I know about the need for Spanish-speaking healthcare providers in TX...

Cumulative and science GPA are in the 3.7ish range and countless hours of research (no pubs, though), decent clinical experience in the form of volunteer work in a mobile clinic working with the indigent population, and a couple various other things involving community service. I took a look at your EC list, though, and I'm no where near your involvement!

Still, your GPA is about average and the research/clinicals sound fine. Apply early and broadly. Best of luck!

(And thanks for the compliment :))

Do you guys think that taking the MCAT again on July 31st would be too late for this application cycle?

Thanks!