04/24/09 mcat club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernoull

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:welcome:

I started this thread for those taking the MCAT on 04/24/09, I searched this site but couldn't find any thread for this test date. I just registered today, and I'm looking forward to 2.5 months of cranium-busting so that I can put this "four-letter-word" behind me once and for all!!!! :diebanana:

So sign up people and lets support, motivate and try to keep each other sane!! Best of luck to everyone testing on this date and any date for that matter!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

VR - 11
PS - 10
Writing - Q
BS - 9
Composite - 30Q

Blah. Not exactly what I was hoping for.... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Vr: 11
ps: 8
ws: M
bs: 10
29M

What should I do!? I think I'll just apply anyway.... I'm hoping for a state school.

we got the same score...except the WS but exactly the same elsewhere...i dont have a state school (alaska resident...) any suggestions?

Bio: 11
Ps: 11
Vb: 11
R
=33R

AAMC average = 31-32. This was my best verbal!

Woooooooooohhhhhh mud&@$fhh&@& what a RIDE!!!

Goodluck everybody!!!!!!!!!!!

great score and very balanced!! looks good. :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouraging words. I was really disappointed with the BS as I'm a Biology major. There was more physiology than I expected, and I was muccchhh more prepared for genetics/DNA technology than that.

Oh well, it just means I'll probably have to limit myself to instate schools.

VR - 11
PS - 10
Writing - Q
BS - 9
Composite - 30Q

Blah. Not exactly what I was hoping for.... :(

But a good showing, nonetheless.:thumbup: Apply early and broadly.

R
=33R

Nice work.:)

AAMC average
PS:10.5
VR: 9
BS:9.8 (including the first few practice tests which I did without any organic study)

MCAT
PS:10
VR:10
WS:S
BS:07

Composite 27S.
I cannot believe I bombed bio so badlyy!!!! I refreshed multiple times after to make sure its not a mistake.... I'm completely shocked!!! had it been my verbal I might've had a shot at some school but with that bio....!!! i thought it was my strongest section too and it was the only section that my station didn't break down during!!!

R
=33R

Wow congrats! I'll give you $20 if you want to trade.... :D

AAMC average
PS:10.5
BS:9.8 (including the first few practice tests which I did without any organic study)

MCAT
PS:10
VR:10
WS:S
BS:07

Composite 27S.
I cannot believe I bombed bio so badlyy!!!! I refreshed multiple times after to make sure its not a mistake.... I'm completely shocked!!! had it been my verbal I might've had a shot at some school but with that bio....!!! i thought it was my strongest section too and it was the only section that my station didn't break down during!!!

Your station broke down? Did you report that?:(

VR 11
PS 14
BS 10
WS M

35M

Was consistently scoring 33s on the practice tests, VR 11 PS 12 BS 10. And had a bad feeling after the test so I'm pretty stoked. The writing score has me kinda worried though. I completely neglected any practice on it, hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.

Members don't see this ad :)
how bad is the 7 in verbal going to hurt me?
13PS
7 V
11 Bio
Q
31Q
I'm planning on applying TX (in-state) and broadly to out of state schools. GPA 3.5; any recommendations of schools that won't knock me out b/c of the 7?

So basically my practice tests were all over the place but the average was a 24.5.

PS: 7
VR: 10
BS: 7
Essays: Q
Total...24Q.

I SUCK AT LIFE!!!!!! :thumbdown:(

Guess I'll retake? I'm applying to almost all DO schools though. What do you think?

pretty much everyone has been getting about their AAMC average! that makes me happy! I have a week left to get my score!! please be similar to my AAMC scores!!!!!!!!!

btw, congrats everyone :)

I wish I got my average...especially considering I was getting 11-12 on every PS section before the real thing and then I got an 8 bc I am really great at physics and suck at chem...LAME...could have been worse...

AAMC 3
VR 10
BS 12
PS 14

Real thing:
VR 10
BS 11
PS 15
Writing R

I busted my butt on the BS so I'm a bit miffed. Being in CA I'm worried about getting in a state school since my scores are lopsided. So much for my dreams of getting a scholarship at U Mich or Pritzker.

AAMC 3
VR 10
BS 12
PS 14

Real thing:
VR 10
BS 11
PS 15
Writing R

I busted my butt on the BS so I'm a bit miffed. Being in CA I'm worried about getting in a state school since my scores are lopsided. So much for my dreams of getting a scholarship at U Mich or Pritzker.

That's an awesome PS score!

So basically my practice tests were all over the place but the average was a 24.5.

PS: 7
VR: 10
BS: 7
Essays: Q
Total...24Q.

I SUCK AT LIFE!!!!!! :thumbdown:(

Guess I'll retake? I'm applying to almost all DO schools though. What do you think?

I'd try for a retake. Just an extra point or so in each of the sciences may change everything for you. Who knows though - you might be okay... What's your GPA?

VR 11
PS 14
BS 10
WS M

35M

Was consistently scoring 33s on the practice tests, VR 11 PS 12 BS 10. And had a bad feeling after the test so I'm pretty stoked. The writing score has me kinda worried though. I completely neglected any practice on it, hope it doesn't come back to haunt me.

Eh, who cares about writing? Your 11 balances it out.

Am I ok with a 29Q (PS 8, VR 11, WS Q, BS 10) if I have a 3.98? (I don't have any in state schools...should I retake? my average was only a couple of points higher...

AAMC Average
PS: 13
VR: 12
BS: 13
Total: 38

Real Scores
PS: 14
VR: 11
Total: 38T

Glad the real thing turned out like I had hoped. Sooooo relieved about my verbal score (I thought that section had gone terribly).

29Q

DAMN CHEMISTRY!!! I GOT AN 8 in PS...

PS 8
VR 11
WS Q
BS 10

average was about 30.5 overall...what should i do?

I'd go ahead and apply. The average MATRICULATING STUDENT is still at around a 30 on the MCAT.. The 8 may hold you up, but the 10 may save you. Best of luck.

AAMC Average
PS: 13
VR: 12
Total: 38

Real Scores
PS: 14
VR: 11
Total: 38T

Glad the real thing turned out like I had hoped. Sooooo relieved about my verbal score (I thought that section had gone terribly).

Congratulations! :D

AAMC average
PS: 12
BS: 11

Total: 32

----------------

MCAT
PS: 10 (meh...)
VR: 11 (sweet?)
BS: 10
WS: Q (whoa?)

Total: 31Q

I really thought I bombed this test really badly. So I'm ecstatic :D.

Sorry to those who did not do as well as you hoped, but this is my re-take so just know that its possible to improve. :thumbup:

AAMC average
PS: 12
BS: 11

Total: 32

----------------

MCAT
PS: 10 (meh...)
VR: 11 (sweet?)
BS: 10
WS: Q (whoa?)

Total: 31Q

I really thought I bombed this test really badly. So I'm ecstatic :D.

Sorry to those who did not do as well as you hoped, but this is my re-take so just know that its possible to improve. :thumbup:

Congrats! :)

the 4/24/2009 was a retake, I initially took it in september 2008

September 2008: MCAT: 28Q (P:9 V:10 B: 9)

4/24/2009 MCAT: 33s (P:12 V:10 B:11)

What I did to prepare for the 2008 MCAT was go over the examkrackers and do the AAMC practice exams...which I averaged about a 30.

What i did to prepare the 2nd time around for the April MCAT was take a princeton review course and redid all the AAMCs as well..and I also bought some berkley review books and read the physics and chemistry sections. I put a lot of work into the retake..and I actually almost voided my score because I felt like I let my nerves get the best of me...i had poor timing..and i started panicing...but whatever..i'm not going to complain. Princeton review practice exams were anywehre between 24-30...i never got higher than a 30 on the princeton reviews...and the AAMC ones i ranged from 32-36..but that's not really fair considering i had taken them before.

The april exam felt SOOO much harder than the september exam...scratch that it WAS harder..so I guess they really do curve it accordingly?

the 4/24/2009 was a retake, I initially took it in september 2008

September 2008: MCAT: 28Q (P:9 V:10 B: 9)

4/24/2009 MCAT: 33s (P:12 V:10 B:11)

What I did to prepare for the 2008 MCAT was go over the examkrackers and do the AAMC practice exams...which I averaged about a 30.

What i did to prepare the 2nd time around for the April MCAT was take a princeton review course and redid all the AAMCs as well..and I also bought some berkley review books and read the physics and chemistry sections. I put a lot of work into the retake..and I actually almost voided my score because I felt like I let my nerves get the best of me...i had poor timing..and i started panicing...but whatever..i'm not going to complain. Princeton review practice exams were anywehre between 24-30...i never got higher than a 30 on the princeton reviews...and the AAMC ones i ranged from 32-36..but that's not really fair considering i had taken them before.

The april exam felt SOOO much harder than the september exam...scratch that it WAS harder..so I guess they really do curve it accordingly?

Way to go! :D

so when ppl say apply early (bc I have a lower mcat score) would that be right at june 2nd or whatever it is? or should I wait a week or two bc i have heard that all of the 4.0 45T ppl apply right when it opens so you will look like crap if you apply with them...what do you guys think?

so when ppl say apply early (bc I have a lower mcat score) would that be right at june 2nd or whatever it is? or should I wait a week or two bc i have heard that all of the 4.0 45T ppl apply right when it opens so you will look like crap if you apply with them...what do you guys think?

No matter when you apply there will be people with good scores and bad scores applying at the same time. The idea is to get your applications complete (primary, secondary, LoRs, etc.) at all the schools as soon as you can.

Think of it this way: the faster you get your primary in and verified, the faster you get secondaries. The faster you get and fill out secondaries, the faster you're complete. At the beginning of the season, schools still have all of their interview slots open to assign as they see fit. As the season, progresses, however, they have fewer and fewer spots left. Would you rather compete for a larger or smaller number of spots?

Actual:
PS 12
VR 11
BS 13

36S

My average on the last five AAMC I took was 39, so I scored on the lower end of my range for the real thing. Think I can get into a CA school with this score and a 3.7 GPA? (I iz CA resident)

Last edited:
Actual:
PS 12
VR 11
BS 13

36S

My average on the last five AAMC I took was 39, so I scored on the lower end of my range for the real thing. Think I can get into a CA school with this score and a 3.6 GPA? (I iz CA resident)

Can't say for sure, of course, but I'd say you had a decent shot as an in-state resident (assuming the rest of your application is equally solid).:thumbup:

I got: 27M
PS: 9
Verbal: 8
BS:10

So tell me please, have I screwed it up big time? My sGPA is 3.6 and my cGPA is 3.8 (undergrad 3.4 post grad 4.0) and I've got about 160 hours community service. My school list was:

U of ArkansasU of ArizonaStanfordU of Southern CaliforniaUC IrvineUCLAUCSDUCSFU of ConnecticutGeorgetownHowardFlorida StateEmoryU of Hawai'iCarver-IowaU of ChicagoBostonUSUHSJohns HopkinsWashington UU of N. CarolinaWake ForestDukeAlbanySUNY DownstateColumbiaOhio StateU of ToledoOHSUDrexelU of PittsburghVanderbiltU of WashingtonU of Wisconsin

But now I have to take out the high tier schools of course. What do you guys think?

Think of it this way: the faster you get your primary in and verified, the faster you get secondaries. The faster you get and fill out secondaries, the faster you're complete. At the beginning of the season, schools still have all of their interview slots open to assign as they see fit. As the season, progresses, however, they have fewer and fewer spots left. Would you rather compete for a larger or smaller number of spots?

I heard that most secondaries don't even come out til July 1? Any truth to this or do they come out June 2nd right when the AMCAS opens? I've always been confused about this...

I heard that most secondaries don't even come out til July 1? Any truth to this or do they come out June 2nd right when the AMCAS opens? I've always been confused about this...

A lot of schools don't have secondaries ready to go until July, and even some of those are late July. You can use the gap to start preparing your secondary essays, though.:thumbup: