09 Crowd???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ehh, I think essay scores mean very little compared to the other sections, and matter even less for MD/PhD applicants. (Have you read some of the journal articles out there?? ;) ) I think if you do a good job on your essays on the primaries and secondaries, you should be fine. I can't imagine a person being rejected solely because of their essay scores.

Members don't see this ad.

Ehh, I know lots of people who interviewed with me who have no publications despite working for 4 years. While I may not have any pubs out right now, I'm waiting for two manuscripts to be submitted, a 5th author planned for Nature and 1st author for JBC. Crossing my fingers they go through!

That's pretty unacceptable.

The inability to get published would not only deny tenure (possibly dismissed), it certainly wouldn't garner any funding.

Good luck on your submissions. Nature and JBC are pretty keen. 1st author in JBC is impressive for a student.

So uhm, MCAT scores came in today and I got a 35...M. I have NO IDEA what happened on that essay section (I don't generally write well under pressure, but an M!?). Anyway, would anyone care to comment on how serious of a problem this is, and what I can do to correct it. Much obliged..

Hey, I applied last year. I also had a 35...M (14 verbal). It didn't seem to matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm very glad to hear that an M isn't the end of the world, because I also got one. I was so happy to see the 37, but that darn M...

What is the lower end of an acceptable GPA for entry to MD/PhD. I'm a double major in Chemistry and Neuroscience with a minor in Psychology. So far, I've accumulated 191 credits, but I've been taking very hard classes and my GPA is only a 3.64 (personally, I think its a little bit crazy that these programs are so competitive that I am saying that I ONLY have a 3.64). I am hoping that my high (at least, I think its high) MCAT score will cancel that out a bit.

Other than that, good EC (professional comedy improvisor, debate, Alpha Phi Omega, other community service groups on campus) and some fairly good clinical XP (~250 hours of various clinical volunteering and 6 months working in a doctor's office).

Any thoughts?

Boy... what a harrowing process. I know that this is what I want to do and that this is the best thing for me. I also know that I am intelligent enough to be able to succeed in an MD/PhD program. The only thing that I'm not 100% sure of is being able to convince everyone else how right MD/PhD and I are for each other... especially after that M. I need to find an English major to look over my application essays to make sure that they convey my thoughts correctly.

What is the lower end of an acceptable GPA for entry to MD/PhD.

There's no way to answer this question. Certain in the know SDNers can point to stories of people being admitted with a 2.9 though it's exceedingly rare. I don't have any data to say x proportion have this GPA or that GPA (does anyone?). There's a few websites from MSTPs that put the average accepted GPA at around 3.8 and the average applicant GPA at around 3.6 (these are top programs so the 3.6s are probably going down to the top 30 USNews ranking schools). So, the gut feeling is your GPA is a little low but not too bad, especially when combined with your MCAT score.

Other than that, good EC (professional comedy improvisor, debate, Alpha Phi Omega, other community service groups on campus) and some fairly good clinical XP (~250 hours of various clinical volunteering and 6 months working in a doctor's office).

Unfortunately none of these matter that much for MD/PhD admissions. The real question is how much research experience do you have?

Well, I've was in one lab for 1 year, and then another lab for a year and a half (still there).

In the first lab, I tried to do an independent project, but the grad student I was working with just got her PhD, so she was not really gung-ho about helping me overcome some problems that I was having with the project. Not that I am trying to insinuate that I should have been forefront on her mind, but it would have been nice to be told important steps before I ruined my experiment over and over. That was a bust.

Then I went to lab #2 which I <3. I've been working on a project, but no publication yet. Probably by the end of the summer I will have something out. I am doing this summer's research on a competitive fellowship, so that's pretty neat.

I have heard that getting published isn't important, and hopefully that's true. I have become proficient at dozens of very useful procedures, which I feel is more telling about the amount of experience that I have than spending all of my time doing only one thing and getting a publication. Although a publication would be very nice...

yay! MSTP 09 applicants! :p

so I was wondering how many schools people are applying to for MSTP/MD-PhD? I have a list of 18 schools and my adviser thought I should cut it down to 8-10? (Personally, I don't think I'm that stellar of an applicant --MDApp 10884-- but I think I should get in somewhere.) But I've also been looking on MDApps and it sounds like people are applying to lots of schools?

Thanks!

I'm a bit worried about my application and whether or not I am "good" enough to get into ANY MD/PhD program to which I applied. I know that I may be worrying a bit too much, but it's honestly my MCAT scores that scare me the most.

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10818

As you can see, I applied very broadly. Even though this looks like a lot of schools, I spend most of my time sitting in the lab waiting for antibodies to attach or a FACS slot to open. With all of this downtime I'm able to write multiple essays in a given day and then edit them the next day with a couple of coworkers.

Could someone comment on my "chances"? I know this is difficult to answer, but I should also note that I got a great LOR from my one PI who said (I paraphrase) "throughout my 15 years in the laboratory I have trained many postdocs and graduate students, and <britishmafia> is honestly in the top 2-3". Hopefully this will help, but I don't know how closely ADCOMs look at LORs or what state I reside and whether my MCAT would just knock me out of the running.

The 09 crowd seems to be particularly anxious...secondaries submitted before July? Gee...

Britishmafia, your research and GPA are very solid. Your MCAT is well balanced and not too low to warrant such pessimism. LORs? They usually look at them very closely. If your PI peppered the LOR with similar praises as the one your paraphrased here, that alone should be enough to elicit some interest from many adcoms.

I'm a bit worried about my application and whether or not I am "good" enough to get into ANY MD/PhD program to which I applied.

Read the first sticky. I put it up today specifically to answer questions like this. It should answer your question, or at least how I would answer it. You look like one excellent and two goods on the general-o-meter, which makes you a decent applicant.

Hey Neuronix, what are my chances? I'm pretty worried :scared:

(Summer is really really really boring.)

Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you think that?

Mmm, GPA is not as competative as I would like and my class LOE are probably positive but not exemplary. Also have very little clinical experience/volunteer work. Also I want to do neuroscience, but I have only 2 neuro classes so far, one of which I did poorly in. I guess I feel like I don't have a great paper application but I think I will do okay w/ interviews.

It just makes me nervous knowing the number of MDPhD applicants grows each year and there are few seats available in general.

Mmm, GPA is not as competative as I would like

It's high enough when paired with that MCAT score and your research. The Stanford name helps a little too.

and my class LOE are probably positive but not exemplary.

Whose are exmplary? As long as your PIs like you.

Also have very little clinical experience/volunteer work.

You have enough.

Also I want to do neuroscience, but I have only 2 neuro classes so far, one of which I did poorly in.

How poorly? Nobody is going to stress that your B makes you unable to do Neuroscience.

Hey friends,
I'm also applying to MD/PhD programs for 2009. Any other applicants have math degrees? I'm looking for research programs like Harvard and MIT's HST. Best of luck to everyone.

I guess I'll come out of the woodwork too...

I am applying MD/PhD for the firs time this year and I am coming from one of those 'NESCAC/New England Small Liberal-Arts Colleges'. My overall GPA is a 3.68, with my science GPA likely to be around 3.71 (who would have thought those art and history courses would be so dang tough!). MCAT is a 32R (B10, P11, V11). Oh, and I am a Canadian, eh?

Since no one apparently cares for ECs on here, I'll just mention my research gigs:
-Abstract submitted to Canadian Cardiovascular Congress/American Heart Assoc...should hear back mid-July. I'm one of 6 authors on that piece (I think I'm #3 or #4 on the abstract?) Culmination of two summers of wet lab work at The University of Ottawa Heart Institute in Canada. Furthermore, I have been granted one of four school-wide 'Senior Fellowships' to bring this work state-side to my college for senior year.
-Research assistant for a Neuroscience Prof for an academic year. Grunt work galore! Helped honed my cloning technique, though.
-University of Chicago Biomedical Informatics research this summer.
-Have submitted a book review to one of the top Biomed Informatics journals (invitation for submission). Submitted. I'm co-author.
-Have submitted an encyclopedia chapter entry for a major Databases encyclopedia (invitation for submission). Submitted. I'm co-author.
-Working on a manuscript for the top 2009 Medical Informatics Symposium. Will be first author. Submission tentative for mid-July and my PI is chairing the event, so he is confident it will be accepted.
-Did a palliative care literature review as part of my study abroad program in the UK...submitted Jun08 to a Palliative Care/Nursing journal. Haven't heard back from them yet.

So, like one of my fellow posters I have a lot of stuff pending but nothing really solid yet. Oh well! The only thing I can do is sit tight and wait for the calls for revision (or acceptances!) come through. I apologize for the ambiguities in my information, but I want to be a bit careful with anonymity.

Would anyone be able to chime in as to what sorts of schools I should be aiming for?

Apply to all schools that accept international students, forget about rankings and tiers. Also consider non-MSTP MD/PhD programs, they tend to be more friendly towards international students.

Apply to all schools that accept international students, forget about rankings and tiers. Also consider non-MSTP MD/PhD programs, they tend to be more friendly towards international students.

Thanks for the tip! I have about 16 on the list, and they all accept "international" MD/PhD applicants.

I'm hoping to submit the primary by Tuesday, then it is off to the races as they say...

My overall GPA is a 3.68, with my science GPA likely to be around 3.71 (who would have thought those art and history courses would be so dang tough!). MCAT is a 32R (B10, P11, V11). Oh, and I am a Canadian, eh?

Your GPA isn't great and your MCAT is flat out low for MSTP.

Since no one apparently cares for ECs on here, I'll just mention my research gigs:
-Abstract submitted to Canadian Cardiovascular Congress/American Heart Assoc...should hear back mid-July. I'm one of 6 authors on that piece (I think I'm #3 or #4 on the abstract?) Culmination of two summers of wet lab work at The University of Ottawa Heart Institute in Canada. Furthermore, I have been granted one of four school-wide 'Senior Fellowships' to bring this work state-side to my college for senior year.
-Research assistant for a Neuroscience Prof for an academic year. Grunt work galore! Helped honed my cloning technique, though.
-University of Chicago Biomedical Informatics research this summer.
-Have submitted a book review to one of the top Biomed Informatics journals (invitation for submission). Submitted. I'm co-author.
-Have submitted an encyclopedia chapter entry for a major Databases encyclopedia (invitation for submission). Submitted. I'm co-author.
-Working on a manuscript for the top 2009 Medical Informatics Symposium. Will be first author. Submission tentative for mid-July and my PI is chairing the event, so he is confident it will be accepted.
-Did a palliative care literature review as part of my study abroad program in the UK...submitted Jun08 to a Palliative Care/Nursing journal. Haven't heard back from them yet.

There's a lot of fluff here so I'm having a hard time deciphering. How much research have you done timewise? 2 summers and a PT academic year? You're going to do one more academic year?

Would anyone be able to chime in as to what sorts of schools I should be aiming for?

If you were a US citizen I'd say you were borderline because your GPA is a little off and your MCAT is a lot off. You have decent research but as an international I don't think it's going to make up for the two. I wonder if you're going to have any success with the US programs. Make sure you apply to Canadian programs as well.

Your GPA isn't great and your MCAT is flat out low for MSTP.

There's a lot of fluff here so I'm having a hard time deciphering. How much research have you done timewise? 2 summers and a PT academic year? You're going to do one more academic year?

If you were a US citizen I'd say you were borderline because your GPA is a little off and your MCAT is a lot off. You have decent research but as an international I don't think it's going to make up for the two. I wonder if you're going to have any success with the US programs. Make sure you apply to Canadian programs as well.

1. The GPA/MCATs I have are low for the top MSTP programs, yes, I would agree. However, a lot of other programs I checked out I was right in the range. You wouldn't happen to attend one of those top programs would you? Hmm.

2. Fluff? If by fluff you mean a lot of productivity as of late and now waiting to hear back from reviewers on the status of submissions...? Unfortunately, research doesn't heed to medical school application timelines so I have to make do with the current status of the work completed.

3. Research, time wise: on my third summer, one full year PT, and I will be doing a full year FT as part of a 'fellowship'.

Thanks for the advice, but maybe re-consider your delivery in the future. You were once in my shoes and I don't think you would have appreciated such a friendly response.

Last edited:
Hey friends,
I'm also applying to MD/PhD programs for 2009. Any other applicants have math degrees? I'm looking for research programs like Harvard and MIT's HST. Best of luck to everyone.

Interesting! Are you looking to get your PhD in Math as well? I've never heard of an MD/PhD in Math (I'm just applying this year, though, so I haven't heard of many MD/PhDs period).

Out of curiosity, what kind of research do you see yourself doing in the future with an MD and a PhD in math? Are you looking to integrate the two? What are your career goals?

I'm looking to get a PhD in neuroscience and then specialize in neurology, so that's pretty cut and dry. But I am very interested in non-traditional MD/PhD combinations.

Open question to everyone: what are some unusual combinations that you're seen in the past, and what did those people go on to do (if you know)?

Also, to Lonelion87: I don't think that anyone was trying to be offensive. They were just trying to offer their advice. Believe me, I know how stressed you are right now. If this is what you want to do, then go for it 100%!!! I've heard of people getting into programs with GPAs of 2.8 and MCATs of 28 (not both together, but you get the point). I really can't speak to the "international student" thing, but if you have found schools that claim to accept them, then that's perfect! I think the point is that, like most applicants, including myself, you're not a shoe-in. But then again, my friend who applied last year with a 3.95 and a 39 on the MCAT only got into one place. This whole process is just the luck of the draw from what I can tell. Various statistics and time frames push the luck in one direction or another, but in the end it's uncomfortably random. Let's just hope that we get interviews, and then our charming personalities will win them over. :D

1. The GPA/MCATs I have are low for the top MSTP programs, yes, I would agree. However, a lot of other programs I checked out I was right in the range. You wouldn't happen to attend one of those top programs would you? Hmm.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask. I'm sorry if you didn't like my opinion. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you to make it more palatable.

But I go by my own guide. See the sticky at the top of this forum:
What are my chances? Read before asking.

I'm not just pulling this stuff out of my rear end. See: http://www.aamc.org/members/great/mdphd/presentations/garrisonhandout.pdf

The average overall MCAT score for non-MSTPs (lower tier programs) is 32.9. The average GPA is 3.73. Frankly, international applicants are held to a higher standard. So my point was, you are borderline with those stats as an applicant from the US. Not being a citizen or permanent resident of the USA hurts you further, so I don't think your chances are good. Maybe you will get in though. It's just my opinion that your chances are not good. I don't have a crystal ball and I can't see the future. My best suggestion to hedge your bets is to apply in Canada in addition to the US.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask. I'm sorry if you didn't like my opinion. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you to make it more palatable.

But I go by my own guide. See the sticky at the top of this forum:
What are my chances? Read before asking.

I'm not just pulling this stuff out of my rear end. See: http://www.aamc.org/members/great/mdphd/presentations/garrisonhandout.pdf

The average overall MCAT score for non-MSTPs (lower tier programs) is 32.9. The average GPA is 3.73. Frankly, international applicants are held to a higher standard. So my point was, you are borderline with those stats as an applicant from the US. Not being a citizen or permanent resident of the USA hurts you further, so I don't think your chances are good. Maybe you will get in though. It's just my opinion that your chances are not good. I don't have a crystal ball and I can't see the future. My best suggestion to hedge your bets is to apply in Canada in addition to the US.

While I may be a bit more sensitive to these sorts of things at this stage in the game, I mean, honestly, you wouldn't break "bad news" like that to one of your patients, would you?

If you don't want opinions, don't ask

I asked for school recommendations, not a critique of my worthiness as an applicant. So, I didn't ask for any of the answers you so generously provided in your response.

Anyway, enough of that I suppose. According to your data above, my numbers alone may not be near the top of the pile, but I guess I'll just have to lean on the other 60% of the application to show off my colors. Besides, I have not taken basket-weaving or any other GPA padding course so my 3.7'ish (pending on study abroad grades counting, and the general science GPA calculation) would most likely, as I have been told by those who know, stand tall with higher, padded GPAs. I digress, but I don't think its possible to look at a MCAT score in conjunction with a number for a GPA to base any sort of "opinion" as to whether or not I have "good" chances to get in anywhere without knowing what makes up the GPA - not to mention the rest of the application. Again, I didn't ask for any input on my worthiness...just schools. Thanks for going beyond the call of duty!

While I may be a bit more sensitive to these sorts of things at this stage in the game, I mean, honestly, you wouldn't break "bad news" like that to one of your patients, would you?

So...you want him to talk to you as if you were a physically ill, debilitated patient, and you DON'T want him to talk to you as if you were a potential future colleague? :confused: Interesting.

I asked for school recommendations, not a critique of my worthiness as an applicant. So, I didn't ask for any of the answers you so generously provided in your response.

Again, I didn't ask for any input on my worthiness...just schools.

No. Your original question was "Would anyone be able to chime in as to what sorts of schools I should be aiming for?" The wording of the question indicates that you were asking whether you should aim for top tier, mid-tier, etc....which, indirectly, asks about your worthiness of an applicant.

Look, no one wants to hear "Well, you might not be good enough to get in," or "You might have a REAL tough time getting in." But it's something that everyone needs to hear, and everyone needs to plan for. In your case, that may be the eventual outcome, but it might not. But preparing for that possibility (and being able to accept blunt criticism and opinions without denial or going into super-defensive mode) is something that every pre-med needs to do (but sadly very few actually do do).

Last edited:
So...you want him to talk to you as if you were a physically ill, debilitated patient, and you DON'T want him to talk to you as if you were a potential future colleague? :confused: Interesting.

No. Your original question was "Would anyone be able to chime in as to what sorts of schools I should be aiming for?" The wording of the question indicates that you were asking whether you should aim for top tier, mid-tier, etc....which, indirectly, asks about your worthiness of an applicant.

Look, no one wants to hear "Well, you might not be good enough to get in," or "You might have a REAL tough time getting in." But it's something that everyone needs to hear, and everyone needs to plan for. In your case, that may be the eventual outcome, but it might not. But preparing for that possibility (and being able to accept blunt criticism and opinions without denial or going into super-defensive mode) is something that every pre-med needs to do (but sadly very few actually do do).

All I was trying to get at was that a little humility doesn't cost anything. And if I were a future colleague, trying to discourage be from trying from day one would not be a great business move, don't you think? Maybe he is having a rough day.

Furthermore, when someone encapsulates my research experience as "fluff" I don't and won't take that as any sort of constructive criticism. My PIs wouldn't consider their work fluff. It only serves him (or her?), no one else, as an opinion that achieves nothing more than a little self-validation. Again, maybe he's having a rough day.

And as far as dismantling my question and digging deep for inferences...I think I know what I wanted to get out of my question. What sorts of schools? Well saying your chances aren't good, period, doesn't really answer my question, does it. Maybe I should just pick out of the 100-odd schools at random - thanks for the insight.

I thought this forum was for you accomplished folk to help out - but apparently you come on here between classes or rounds to offer reality checks. And links to flaws in logic. Brilliant!

This soap box display is getting ridiculous.

As far as I can tell, Neuronix is just calling them as he sees them. No harm in that...By fluff I think he meant that your original post was too verbose, it was hard to really tell how much research you have...

I would consider myself an applicant fighting a very uphill battle. I have a 29R MCAT, 3.87 GPA. I know the statistics of my MCAT score and getting accepted to an MSTP or non-MSTP MD/PhD. I do however have great research, great LOR's and a decent amount EC's. But regardless of where neuronix goes to school, he is simply telling you that you have an uphill battle and you should be prepared for that. I started a "what are my chances" thread and he gave a similar reply and I was grateful for that because it made me really analyze and be smart about where I'm applying.

If you want an idea of where I'm applying, you can PM me and I'll be happy to share them with you. Search for MD/PhD programs that say they look at the applicant as a whole. They might look beyond just your numbers. You won't get that from harvard, hopkins, ect, but I think you get the point.

And if I were a future colleague, trying to discourage be from trying from day one would not be a great business move, don't you think?

I wasn't trying to dissuade you from applying. I never said that anywhere. I said "I wonder if you're going to have any success with the US programs. Make sure you apply to Canadian programs as well." That is how I see it. I wonder if does not mean don't apply. It means, be sure to apply back home because that will maximize your chances. You asked what schools to apply to. The answer: Be sure to include Canadian programs. The rest of the post, why I said that.

Furthermore, when someone encapsulates my research experience as "fluff"

Fluff refers to the verbosity with which you wrote it all. It does not refer to the quality of your resume. We need to know two things to gauge your research competitiveness on this forum: how long you've been doing research and what you have to show for it. Sure there's other factors like letters of recommendation and interviewing skills, but we can't gauge that here. Nevertheless, it was hard for me to decipher everything you wrote. Since you've called me on it, I will abbreviate for you:

On my third summer of research, one full year PT, and I will be doing a full year FT as part of a 'fellowship'.

One first author review article in review, Co-authors on a book review and a database entry also in review
Manuscript in preparation for a symposium
One 3rd author conference abstract in review

That makes it much easier for me to gauge your competitiveness, since you were asking. It's no different from the forums when you go to apply for residency. People just need to know a few things. Grades, Step scores, # of publications. It sucks to be funneled down to a few things, but those are the major indicators of success. Here the major indicators are MCAT, GPA, and years of research experience. Much to my own chagrin it never seems to change a whole bunch.

Well saying your chances aren't good, period, doesn't really answer my question, does it. Maybe I should just pick out of the 100-odd schools at random - thanks for the insight.

Do a search on this forum for international. Perhaps you weren't aware and I should have stated this, but of the 100-odd MD/PhD programs more than half don't take international students. Here are a couple threads on the topic:

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=61421
http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=509354
http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=503472

I'm not aware of any more comprehensive lists. It seems to change a bit from year to year as well. If you have more information about schools that are or are not taking international applicants, I encourage you to add to one of those threads.

Lonelion, I'm sorry you had a less than pleasant experience seeking comments here. Neuronix didn't serve his advices with sugar and cream, and you might not be so upset if he did, but that has nothing to do with the quality of his advices, right? I was an applicant myself just months ago, and from my experience I also feel that you have a very tough battle ahead. Neuronix was simply warning you of this reality, he wanted you to be rather over than underprepared for it. If you discredit his words and end up with a less than ideal application season, no one else but you suffer. However, if you heed to his advices, apply broadly, prepare thoroughly and lower your expectations, the outcome can be very different. Don't throw out a whole serving of tuna because you don't like the decoration on the plate. :)

I take a break from SDN and I come back to drama!!!

I take a break from SDN and I come back to drama!!!

Oh there you are... I'd been waiting for you to come back so I could say you have no chance in hell! Give up!

315bz87.gif

;) ;) ;)

Don't throw out a whole serving of tuna because you don't like the decoration on the plate. :)

I can say with 100% certainty that I have never heard this saying before. That being said, there is good news. I have a new favorite saying! :p

Interesting! Are you looking to get your PhD in Math as well? I've never heard of an MD/PhD in Math (I'm just applying this year, though, so I haven't heard of many MD/PhDs period).

Out of curiosity, what kind of research do you see yourself doing in the future with an MD and a PhD in math? Are you looking to integrate the two? What are your career goals?

I'm looking to get a PhD in neuroscience and then specialize in neurology, so that's pretty cut and dry. But I am very interested in non-traditional MD/PhD combinations.

Open question to everyone: what are some unusual combinations that you're seen in the past, and what did those people go on to do (if you know)?

Also, to Lonelion87: I don't think that anyone was trying to be offensive. They were just trying to offer their advice. Believe me, I know how stressed you are right now. If this is what you want to do, then go for it 100%!!! I've heard of people getting into programs with GPAs of 2.8 and MCATs of 28 (not both together, but you get the point). I really can't speak to the "international student" thing, but if you have found schools that claim to accept them, then that's perfect! I think the point is that, like most applicants, including myself, you're not a shoe-in. But then again, my friend who applied last year with a 3.95 and a 39 on the MCAT only got into one place. This whole process is just the luck of the draw from what I can tell. Various statistics and time frames push the luck in one direction or another, but in the end it's uncomfortably random. Let's just hope that we get interviews, and then our charming personalities will win them over. :D
I think I would like to get my PhD in math, but I'm open to possibilities in physics, chemistry and engineering. However, there are opportunities to apply math and statistics in medicine. For example, Dr. Sandor Kovacs at Wash U. mathematically models the heart. (http://research.medicine.wustl.edu/...06c43f967a05852a8625677d00592f3c?OpenDocument) There is also plenty of mathematical processing involved with imaging (such as MRI and CT). Furthermore, Biologists are also generating terabytes of data just waiting to be statistically analyzed.

Would someone care to comment on my MDApps profile? It's here: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10951. I'd appreciate any thoughts especially about schools I should be applying to.

Also, is anyone else working at the NIH this year? I just got an offer.

OK, I was a bit sensitive. Can you blame me?

I have applied broadly, and to a few 'reach' places where I have contacts there that have encouraged me to do so.

I'll just have to sit tight and ride this out I suppose.

I am applying MD/PhD this year, too. Anemone, obviously higher is better, but I think that you will be ok if you focus on writing awesome essays for the AMCAS and for your secondaries. I think they are less interested in how well you can BS an essay in 30min than in how well you can think. So interviewing will be really important, too. Do you have lots of research? Can you answer questions about it and phrase things in simple but intelliget terms? Things to think about.

Hey friends,

Hi there! Just wanted to chime in with an "I'm applying MD/PhD this year too" and that though I don't quite yet have a math degree yet, I will [crossing fingers] next May.

As for research programs, I don't know of any quite like the HST, but from going through my primary, I know that Northwestern, Pritzker, and Vanderbilt all provide check-boxes for those interested in a PhD in "Mathematics & Applied Mathematics", so I'm assuming they have something in that vein. If memory serves, UCLA also has a partnership with CalTech whereby MD/PhD students can choose to do their PhD at either school; you'll want to double check me on that one though.

Anyways, looking forwards to seeing some of y'all on the interview circuit! Once we all get past the primaries and secondaries of course. Best of luck :luck:

When is a good time to submit the primary application?

I just submitted mine on Sunday, and I feel like that was pretty late, but that may just be from reading this forum too much. :p

Before this week, they were able to keep up day by day with the applications as they came in. Now, AMCAS is starting to run a bit behind. It looks like primary application rush hour is starting! The sooner you get it in, the sooner you can get going!

So... on another note, I checked that I was interested in the GWU md/phd program on my application, and I was so excited, because I didn't know they had one! Now, after paying their fairly high secondary application fee, I find out that they do NOT actually have an MD/PhD program. Can anyone help me figure this out? Do they have one or did I just waste almost $200 applying to a school without the program I'm interested in?

Looking on their website, they appear to offer the degrees in conjunction, but don't seem to integrate it at all or have a dedicated administration for the MD/PhD. It doesn't sound like it'd be funded either, which could be a consideration, but I'd ask the contacts listed just to double check.

$200 for the secondary fee? That seems abnormally high, even for the costly process this is!

Well, their fee was $125, but add in the primary application fee and it starts to creep up there. I really can't complain that much, since I should have looked into it more before I applied, but I'm just very confused as to what just happened. I think that it's pretty dishonest to say that you have an MD/PhD program if there is nobody in charge of it, no one enrolled in it, and nobody who I can contact with questions about it except for the regular MD people.

I sent out an email about it. I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until I get an answer from the horse's mouth!

hello everyone. im applying mstp and mdphd this year as well. ive submitted over 10 secondaries but am waiting for my letters to come in still... judging from last years interview thread it seems like we can get invites as early as mid august! im getting nervous :p

also too bad there aren't more ppl in this thread so we can talk about the app process... how is it going for everyone?

Did the supply of MSTP wannabes suddenly stop???

I am actually applying MSTP and wanted to know how much research experience does one need? Also, I understand GPA and MCAT score are looked upon very seriously. However, I heard that MSTP committees really value research experience the most. ANy thoughts?

Well, their fee was $125, but add in the primary application fee and it starts to creep up there. I really can't complain that much, since I should have looked into it more before I applied, but I'm just very confused as to what just happened. I think that it's pretty dishonest to say that you have an MD/PhD program if there is nobody in charge of it, no one enrolled in it, and nobody who I can contact with questions about it except for the regular MD people.

I sent out an email about it. I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until I get an answer from the horse's mouth!

I COMPLETELY agree. I was so frustrated and disappointed with GWU's MD/PhD Program. But from my understanding the medical school portion is paid by the student. Additionally, I was told by the MD secretary that "maybe 2 people are in it" and "students don't come to GW for research".
My response..."oh..."

I am actually applying MSTP and wanted to know how much research experience does one need? Also, I understand GPA and MCAT score are looked upon very seriously. However, I heard that MSTP committees really value research experience the most. ANy thoughts?
it's hard to say how much you need since no one is really saying. I'd say min. 2 years? (just a guess though).

as for GPA and MCATs, it depends on the school and a million other factors nobody understands... maybe not even adcoms.

hello everyone. im applying mstp and mdphd this year as well. ive submitted over 10 secondaries but am waiting for my letters to come in still... judging from last years interview thread it seems like we can get invites as early as mid august! im getting nervous :p

also too bad there aren't more ppl in this thread so we can talk about the app process... how is it going for everyone?

Hey everybody! Its been a while... filling out all those secondaries has kind of beat me to a pulp. Can we really expect invitations that early? I was wondering if its at all possible to get most of MD/PhD interviews done in the fall... I'm thinking about doing a study abroad in England in the spring.

Last edited:
thanks dendro :)

Out of curiousity, how many schools did you apply to?