1 continuing research position vs. more wide reaching experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hi all,

So I had a quick question and wanted to get some input on what ad comms would prefer more. I am a senior. I am currently working as a research assistant at a VA hospital. It is great experience, studies on hypertension/diabetes/stroke, yadda yadda. Looks great on resume and I can talk about it once I apply to med school. However, I do not feel like I get THAT much responsibility (often bored at work doing data entry etc) and I don't get much facetime with the PI's...which is understandable because they are busy, but they are also not all that friendly even when I do see them.

I just had an interview for a different position at a VERY prestigious medical school here in NYC, in a field of research I am MUCH more interested in. The research is rooted in Psychiatry/Neurology, two fields I am very much interested in getting into after medical school, and the PI's seem much more down to earth and it also looks like they are down to hire some of the interns for full time positions after they graduate, so this would be a really awesome opportunity for me.

If I get it, I'm most likely going to go with the new position....but I wanted to ask: do ad comms prefer an applicant that has been at 1 research position over an applicant that has jumped from 1 position to another? I've been at the VA for about 5 months now (over the summer up until now). It doesn't seem like a big deal after writing all that out...I should probably do what I'm more interested in so I can be more passionate talking about it during interviews...but I wanted some advice.

Thanks!!!

-sixstring

I would recommend going with the new opportunity. Research is best when the researcher loves the particular lab, subject, and environment he/she is in. I think it would be a better experience for you, especially since your current position seems to have stagnated.

In general, I would only recommend staying in a lab if you feel like you will be productive or expect to grow in the near future. I highly doubt ADCOMs will consider this change a "red flag". Tons of students switch labs when they discover the lab they choose first doesn't fit their fancy.
 
Hi all,

So I had a quick question and wanted to get some input on what ad comms would prefer more. I am a senior. I am currently working as a research assistant at a VA hospital. It is great experience, studies on hypertension/diabetes/stroke, yadda yadda. Looks great on resume and I can talk about it once I apply to med school. However, I do not feel like I get THAT much responsibility (often bored at work doing data entry etc) and I don't get much facetime with the PI's...which is understandable because they are busy, but they are also not all that friendly even when I do see them.

I just had an interview for a different position at a VERY prestigious medical school here in NYC, in a field of research I am MUCH more interested in. The research is rooted in Psychiatry/Neurology, two fields I am very much interested in getting into after medical school, and the PI's seem much more down to earth and it also looks like they are down to hire some of the interns for full time positions after they graduate, so this would be a really awesome opportunity for me.

If I get it, I'm most likely going to go with the new position....but I wanted to ask: do ad comms prefer an applicant that has been at 1 research position over an applicant that has jumped from 1 position to another? I've been at the VA for about 5 months now (over the summer up until now). It doesn't seem like a big deal after writing all that out...I should probably do what I'm more interested in so I can be more passionate talking about it during interviews...but I wanted some advice.

Thanks!!!

-sixstring

I would go with the new experience, and this is coming from someone that has been in the same laboratory for years. You should do what you're passionate about, and more responsibility and the chance for a paid position is even better. You're going to want a good rec letter too, so you want a good relationship with your PI (which you don't have at your current position). I was lucky to find a great lab my first time around, which is why I haven't left.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Go with the new lab hands down. I'm sure "commitment" is an issue, but being able to list a prestigious school/lab doesn't sound so bad either.

As someone who just jumped labs (from doing same procedure over and over again, no PI facetime, actually left b/c lab members ran out of things for me to do) into a super awesome cancer research lab (with PI helping out every day, way more interesting material, etc.) I can definitely assure you that dedication/interest can bring you a long way. I now spend more hours in my new lab, but it definitely doesn't feel as drawn out/long/boring since it's something I'm interested in.

All my friends are jealous of how much I get to do in my new lab now and how my PI is so integrated within our lab. Also doesn't hurt that my new PI treats us out to lunch too 😛
 
Hi all,

So I had a quick question and wanted to get some input on what ad comms would prefer more. I am a senior. I am currently working as a research assistant at a VA hospital. It is great experience, studies on hypertension/diabetes/stroke, yadda yadda. Looks great on resume and I can talk about it once I apply to med school. However, I do not feel like I get THAT much responsibility (often bored at work doing data entry etc) and I don't get much facetime with the PI's...which is understandable because they are busy, but they are also not all that friendly even when I do see them.

I just had an interview for a different position at a VERY prestigious medical school here in NYC, in a field of research I am MUCH more interested in. The research is rooted in Psychiatry/Neurology, two fields I am very much interested in getting into after medical school, and the PI's seem much more down to earth and it also looks like they are down to hire some of the interns for full time positions after they graduate, so this would be a really awesome opportunity for me.

If I get it, I'm most likely going to go with the new position....but I wanted to ask: do ad comms prefer an applicant that has been at 1 research position over an applicant that has jumped from 1 position to another? I've been at the VA for about 5 months now (over the summer up until now). It doesn't seem like a big deal after writing all that out...I should probably do what I'm more interested in so I can be more passionate talking about it during interviews...but I wanted some advice.

Thanks!!!

-sixstring

From my experience, I will tell you this. Adcomms care about the MCAT. Pick the one that will be less time consuming and spend your efforts on the MCAT. Studying for that test will do MUCH more for your application than anything else.
 
Thanks everyone! Knocked Up, you are very right. More than anything I need to make sure my grades are top notch as well as my MCAT. I just got accepted to the new lab this morning, and I am going to go ahead with it. Thanks again!