1 g-chem question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keroro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Choose the CORRECT physical properties pertaining to ionic compounds.

I. Strong conductors of electricity in solid states
II. High melting points
III. Hard and brittle
IV. Ductile and malleable

Members don't see this ad.

I. Strong conductors of electricity in solid states ---> Incorrect. Ionic compounds conduct electricity only in liquid or gas state
II. High melting points ---> Correct
III. Hard and brittle --->Correct
IV. Ductile and malleable --->Incorrect. It's the characteristic of metallic bonds i think

ionic solids conduct electricity in the solid or molten state.

so, are they strong conductors of electricity in solid or gas and liquid state??

:confused: :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
RockstarDMD said:
ionic solids conduct electricity in the solid or molten state.

I always thought ionic solids conduct electricity poorly. Metals conduct electricity because they don't hold onto their electrons very easily, right? Well I always thought ionic compounds behave differently. For example, water is H2O and it exists as a bunch of H2O molecules all interacting. Well the ionic compounds don't stay as molecules. If XY is the ionic compound by itself when you get them all together in a big pile, the X isn't attached the Y like the hydrogens are connected to the oxygen. It's kinda like the electrons/bonding is spread amongst all the atoms so it's really hard to rip the electrons out.

This is how it was presented in a material engineering course. So...it might be presented in a dumbed down way because it wasn't a theory chem course...

Does that spark anyone's memory or anyone have a correction?

I agree with Wlee and Saxy, ionic solts do not conduct electricity well. Only choices II and III are correct. You cannot use a hardened mass of table salt to conduct an electrical current.

I agree with Saxy et al. Ionic solids don't share electrons with each other let alone with other molecules. Metals have a 'sea of electrons', this is the opposite.

I think the correct answer is brittle and high melting point.

When you knock an ionic solid the +ve and -ve charges are now alligned with each other (think + and +) so instead of attracting each other they repel therefore the solid easily cleaves.

The highly ordered structure of an ionic crystal solid (think table salt) has a great deal of order to loose before it will melt into a less ordered state.

yea I agree with the answers yall have put down.

The ionic molecules cant conduct electricty well in solid state but can do so in the liquid/aqueous state

And metallic bonds are no ionic but rather covalent bonds and thus are able to be good conducters as solids