1 Week Before my Step 1...Quick question about NBMEs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aucdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I take Step 1 on Feb. 3rd.
I took NBME 7 last week and just finished NBME 11 tonight.
I got a 240 on 7 and 242 on 11.
I have also taken 3,5,6,12 prior.

I can't seem to break the 240 ceiling? I definitely have gaps in my knowledge.

How well do the NBMEs predict actual scores? Should I be confident that I'll get within +/- 10 of my NBMEs?

Any advice in this last week before my exam?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was within 4 points of my last 2 NBMEs. I think you should hit your weaknesses hard this last week, do one more pass of FA, and do questions daily. But, spend the last night just relaxing.

I was within 4 points of my last 2 NBMEs. I think you should hit your weaknesses hard this last week, do one more pass of FA, and do questions daily. But, spend the last night just relaxing.

Thanks!

So squeeze in another pass of FA & Qs?
Ugh!

Hey guys,

I take Step 1 on Feb. 3rd.
I took NBME 7 last week and just finished NBME 11 tonight.
I got a 240 on 7 and 242 on 11.
I have also taken 3,5,6,12 prior.

I can't seem to break the 240 ceiling? I definitely have gaps in my knowledge.

How well do the NBMEs predict actual scores? Should I be confident that I'll get within +/- 10 of my NBMEs?

Any advice in this last week before my exam?

Thanks in advance :)

I agree with the above. How did you score on nbme 5 and 6?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys :)

Less than 48 hours to my EXAM..... 8 AM on Friday :(
I'm freaking....

Doing some Pathoma/First Aid.

Thanks guys :)

Less than 48 hours to my EXAM..... 8 AM on Friday :(
I'm freaking....
Doing some Pathoma/First Aid.
You are doing the right thing.
You are very well prepared (NBME of over 240)
Remember, no-one can/will be 100% prepared for this exam.
At this stage very few people in the world know more than you do..........so go out there and show them............
MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure you get a good night's sleep before the exam....it will make a world of the difference to your score. Don't exhaust yourself the night before....eat well and sleep well ...........that's all you need to do now.
Good Luck!

You are doing the right thing.
You are very well prepared (NBME of over 240)
Remember, no-one can/will be 100% prepared for this exam.
At this stage very few people in the world know more than you do..........so go out there and show them............
MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure you get a good night's sleep before the exam....it will make a world of the difference to your score. Don't exhaust yourself the night before....eat well and sleep well ...........that's all you need to do now.
Good Luck!

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

I just have this fear that the actual Step 1 will be a completely different creature than the NBMEs that I've taken. I will definitely go to sleep by 10 pm tomorrow. I'm planning on leaving home at 6:30 am...go to Starbucks for my ice coffee and buy a sandwich & chips there and then head over to the Prometric center....

Any last minute advice or something to think about in terms of how I plan out my blocks?

I cannot wait until this done.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!

I just have this fear that the actual Step 1 will be a completely different creature than the NBMEs that I've taken.

Any last minute advice or something to think about in terms of how I plan out my blocks?

Yes it will be different from any other exam you have appeared in your life BUT they can't throw anything at you which you don't already know:cool:
Yes, there will be questions that you will get wrong despite knowing the topic but that's the nature of this beast BUT you will get some questions right without having a clue about them ...........So, in the end they will cancel each other out.:laugh:

About the planning of blocks, people usually take a 10 min break after first two blocks and then go by your feeling--take a break if you are tired and eat/drink something (just carbs so that your blood doesn't get shunted to your gut leaving less for brain):p . In fact, don't do anything which gets your blood shunted anywhere else.
MOST IMPORTANTLY don't do anything NEW till the end of the exam and you should always leave 10 min of extra break time for the unexpected till the end.
Block 1: No break
Block 2: 5 minute break
Block 3: 5 minute break
Block 4: 25 minute lunch break
Block 5: 10 minute break
Block 6: 15 minute break
Block 7: Go home
--blocks 1 and 2 in one stretch
then 10 minutes break
--block 3
then 5 minutes
--block 4
then 20 minutes (your major lunch break)
--blocks 5 & 6 in one stretch
then 10 minutes break
--block 7 Go home
Block 1: 5 minutes
Block 2: 5 minutes
Block 3: 10 minutes
Block 4: 5 minutes
Block 5: 15 minutes
Block 6: 10 minutes
Block 7: Go home

Last edited: