1 Year IM residency specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SportsMed09

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this isn't a purely PM&R question, but I was unsure of where else to put this. I'm beginning my 3rd year of med school, and one of the things that attracts me to PM&R (along with the actual day-to-day activity) is that it is 1 year of Internal Med before going into Rehab. I was wondering what other specialties are like this. I have heard Optho is like this, but I wasn't sure where to find this out. Does anyone know where I could find this type of information (or could you just tell me)?
 
Why does this "attract" you? To me it's a downside. 😴
 
I know this isn't a purely PM&R question, but I was unsure of where else to put this. I'm beginning my 3rd year of med school, and one of the things that attracts me to PM&R (along with the actual day-to-day activity) is that it is 1 year of Internal Med before going into Rehab. I was wondering what other specialties are like this. I have heard Optho is like this, but I wasn't sure where to find this out. Does anyone know where I could find this type of information (or could you just tell me)?

you can do a year of prelim medicine, transitional year, or even a year of surgery, peds, or family medicine as long as it fulfills the ACGME requirements for intern year.

other residencies that you do a year of internship are: Opthalmology, dermatology, anesthesiology, radiology, some psychiatry, some pathology, and neurology.

like drusso said, not sure what the attraction is to doing a year of int med but hope this info helps you.:laugh:
 
I just completed a 2 month inpatient rotation at our school which is the day-to-day life of a resident: seeing patients in the morning, progress notes, rounding, and taking call or clinic in the afternoon. I realize that residency isn't all peaches and cream, but if I had to do that for 3 years...ugh. 1 year and then jumping into the actual specialty that I will be doing the rest of my life appeals to me more.