1 Year MPH Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdocdoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Are there any one year MPH programs out there?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes, almost every school does. However, they are for professionals (i.e. current/past health professions students). If you have no background, you probably cant do a 1 yr MPH.

Dartmouth has a rare one-year MPH program. My friend got in straight out of college, no health-care working experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
GW also has a one-year option that begins in the summer following acceptance and runs through the next summer (I was accepted for this option, but decided not to go). So, you'd be doing 4 back to back semesters (summer, fall, winter, spring/summer). It makes sense since the Master's degree is only 36 credits. I'm sure that individual departments may differ though: http://www.gwumc.edu/sphhs/html/academic/mph_alist.cfm

Some schools say its 2 years but you can wing it in a year... I did. Make sure though, that if the university says you can do it in a year, they put it in writing. I completed University of Southern California (USC) in a year plus a project in the summer. They were extremely accomodating and I made it to med school in time...

Harvard has one. I think it's just for already in the field health care professinals, though...

Yale and UAB definitely have one year programs.They r for people with prior health related exp ,though.

Would any of you say that an MPH is advisable for a pre-dental (or for that matter a pre-professional health care) applicant? I know epidemiology as well as public health are important in dentistry, but would any of you say an MPH stands out to an adcom if you were to reapply?

Does one have to take the GRE to be an applicant to MPH programs? Will they accept other scores? I know I should ask adcom directly, however, I wonder if anyone has done this before?

Yes, public health schools take accept other exam scores (e.g., MCAT, LSAT, DAT, PCAT, VCAT/VAT) in lieu of the GRE, but this varies by school (check individual requirements).

Also, public health dentistry is a very important field. But get the MPH because you want to put it in practice in the future, not as a stepping stone to get into dental school.

Best,
H&T

If I were to apply to an MPH, I would do it for many reasons, however, one of them would be a "stepping stone" into dental school. If I were to receive an MPH, the knowledge obtained while in classes would not go in one ear and out the other. From what I have heard (and seen of this website) it sounds as if it plays an essential role in the healthcare of today's and tomorrows patients. Regarding a Masters Degree as an application booster.....is an MPH the way to go.......an MS in Biomedical Sciences (ie the "post-bac Masters).....or are they essentially the same???? Basically, does one benefit in that they went back and did any graduate program or are adcoms biased towards one program or another? I can see how an MPH would be beneficial because it is something unique an applicant can offer to the professional school. Again, I know I should talk to an adcom, but I am curious of the opinions expressed on this forum

-Dave

Hey Dave,

I'm not mad at'cha.. if you're honest about the reaons that you want a Masters degree, then go for it. I guess that the question of what kind of Masters to get is a matter of personal choice. If you really feel that you'll use the MPH later, then get it. If you're more interested in basic science, then get the MS. Friends of mine who have gotten MS degrees did it to boost their science GPA and prove that they could perform well at an advanced level. If this is not your aim, and you're really interested in the MS, then go for it. I don't think that either has a more significant advantage over the other.

Adcoms look for a combination of education and experience when assessing applicants. As long as you are genuine about your interests, I don't think that you'll have a problem either way.

Best,
H&T

hello everyone,
was just wondering about 1yr mph programme.
as i have read on the forum only current/professional from health sector/medicine r considered for 1 yr course,i would like to ask a question:
-does this 1 yr mph apply for international student who has completed his graduation in medicine.
thx.

What about RN's (Associates Degree RN, Bachelor in humanities)... would that 1 yr still be available/do-able?

Bullfan16 said:
If I were to apply to an MPH, I would do it for many reasons, however, one of them would be a "stepping stone" into dental school. If I were to receive an MPH, the knowledge obtained while in classes would not go in one ear and out the other. From what I have heard (and seen of this website) it sounds as if it plays an essential role in the healthcare of today's and tomorrows patients. Regarding a Masters Degree as an application booster.....is an MPH the way to go.......an MS in Biomedical Sciences (ie the "post-bac Masters).....or are they essentially the same???? Basically, does one benefit in that they went back and did any graduate program or are adcoms biased towards one program or another? I can see how an MPH would be beneficial because it is something unique an applicant can offer to the professional school. Again, I know I should talk to an adcom, but I am curious of the opinions expressed on this forum

-Dave
hi
I read this post of yours and was wondering how are u using this as a stepping stone for your dental scholl
could u help me with what are u writing in the staement of purpose
i would really appreciate any help