1 year mph programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AwaPremed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which schools offer 1 year instead of 2 year mph programs?

Members don't see this ad.

AwaPremed said:
Check out Columbia and Johns Hopkins. t.

Also Dartmouth and Jefferson

NJT said:
Check out Columbia and Johns Hopkins. t.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently at Loma Linda
I am doing an MPH/MBA.
But the MPH can be done in a year, depending on emphasis

AwaPremed said:

you might also be able to obtain your MPH through a combined MD/MPH or DO/MPH program in one year.

BU's MPH can be done in a year.

Hihi guys!

Yes, Dartmouth has a one year MPH program. I know some people were curious about stats and such - I just found out I got accepted to the program today - if anyone wants to know mine, PM me. =)

professionals can get a 1 yr MPH at UC Berkeley. Most schools offer some form of 1 year MPH for people that already have advanced degrees.

I'm completing the one-year MPH program at the Harvard SPH, but to be eligible you either have to already have a graduate/professional degree or be enrolled in medical school. Hence, the one-year MPH group is composed mainly of doctors and medical students. I'm a 4th-year at Boston University taking a one-year leave of absence to complete the program, and will be resuming clinical studies this June.

BUmmedic said:
I'm completing the one-year MPH program at the Harvard SPH, but to be eligible you either have to already have a graduate/professional degree or be enrolled in medical school. Hence, the one-year MPH group is composed mainly of doctors and medical students. I'm a 4th-year at Boston University taking a one-year leave of absence to complete the program, and will be resuming clinical studies this June.

bummedic--i've been thinking of doing something similiar (mph b/w MS3 and 4) was your school supportive and do mph progams with 'professional degree requirements' count a few years of med school as sufficient?

The University of Southern California also provides the completion in 1 yr!

guarana said:
bummedic--i've been thinking of doing something similiar (mph b/w MS3 and 4) was your school supportive and do mph progams with 'professional degree requirements' count a few years of med school as sufficient?

You should contact the admissions office and ask them exactly what their criteria are for "professional degree requirements." For example, this information is taken directly from the HSPH MPH website:

"The MPH program is geared toward professionals who hold a doctoral degree in medicine (or foreign degree equivalent), dentistry, veterinary medicine, law, or other fields related to public health (for example, biology, behavioral sciences, or natural and social sciences) or a master's degree in nursing. Individuals with a master's degree in a field closely related to public health and at least three years of related work experience may also be considered for admission to the program. Preference is given to applicants with clearly identified career goals relevant to the program and who demonstrate a strong academic background. Those without the required professional training or experience should consider a master of science program in one of the HSPH departments.

Students enrolled in MD, DMD, or DDS programs (and some law students) who have a career interest in public health and/or preventive medicine are also eligible to apply for admission to the MPH program. Medical and dental students undertake the MPH program while on leave of absence between the third and fourth year of medical or dental school. They receive the MPH degree upon successful completion of both programs and conferral of the doctoral degree."

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys!

Yes, Dartmouth has a one year MPH program. I know some people were curious about stats and such - I just found out I got accepted to the program today - if anyone wants to know mine, PM me. =)
Do MPH programs frown upon undergrad students....are they more likely to admit only MD's to their 1 year MPH programs?

What kind's of reqs do they like?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi
i wld like to know if neone knows of some good one year mph programs.especially ones that provide some financial aid too

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys!

ya plz let me know

How do you like Loma linda..and also how are their fees?

AspiringDoctor9:

I was just browsing the web and came across your tread on sdn. I am graduating this year from UIUC with a bachlor's in molecular and cellular biology. I interested in enrolling in a one-MPH degree. After completion i hope to go to medical school. What can you tell me about the MPH program at Darthmouth? Do they accept students with only a bacholor in science degree? Thanks!

Honestly, it depends on your concentration if you want to do the 1-year MPH. Even Columbia's website says that it is very likely to complete a 1-year MPH if you have a general concentration in public health. Epidemiology and Biostatistics would be pretty difficult to complete in one year, unless you could devote a lot of time to it.

Tulane has a great program that you might be able to finish in 1 year (including a summer)

Is your school supportive of the school change for the mph? Is it very common to change schools for the mph program?

http://tdi.dartmouth.edu/

The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice (TDI) offers a 10-month (1-year) MPH or MS degree.

TDI is part of Dartmouth Medical School and Dartmouth College. The classes are evenly mixed between recent undergrads, mid-career professions, and practicing physicians.

Check it out - it will change your life and career!

Honestly, it depends on your concentration if you want to do the 1-year MPH. Even Columbia's website says that it is very likely to complete a 1-year MPH if you have a general concentration in public health. Epidemiology and Biostatistics would be pretty difficult to complete in one year, unless you could devote a lot of time to it.

i'll be starting in columbia's general public health MPH this fall and yes, it can be done in a year or less. but i think it requires either 2 years community health experience or a related professional degree (i'm in medical school and will get my diploma at the same time as my mph though i'm done w/ med school rotations at the end of this month). just double check the requirements to apply to these shorter programs though not all require another degree (i think hopkins does not and its 11 months; harvard definitely does).

Hi. I'm a medical doctor in nigeria, but would love to have an MPH done in a year. Can you help with a link or information about application, tuition and scholarship since you are an alumnus already, thanks in anticipation.

Sent from my SM-P555 using SDN mobile