1 year of English

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've taken 1 semester of an English class, but multiple writing intensive classes that don't say ENGL at the beginning (I attend a Liberal Arts school) will med schools accept any as a second semester of English?

Members don't see this ad.

I've taken 1 semester of an English class, but multiple writing intensive classes that don't say ENGL at the beginning (I attend a Liberal Arts school) will med schools accept any as a second semester of English?
This is kind of school specific. My undergrad policy is that one sem of the mandatory wrting class and one sem of non-science wi class will work

Your best bet is to ask the specific schools that you're interested in. (Some schools already answer this question on the prereqs page, so check there before contacting them.) It will be easier to make your case if the non-ENGL courses are formally designated as writing intensive on your transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take a single course specifically coded "English" in college and it wasn't a problem for any of the schools I applied to. I called up some admissions offices to ask, so you should probably do that too just in case you're applying to some schools that happen to have different policies than the ones I applied to.

My impression is that the English/writing requirements are a bit less firm since many classes require a lot of writing, and lots of people have AP credits to satisfy a lot of their English requirements. You'll probably want to ask individual schools what they're looking for.

I'm in a similar situation as the OP.

Is it safe to just go with what I have...and then once I am accepted, check with that school's requirements and fulfill anything I am missing the spring/summer before matriculation?

My standard suggestion to anyone who has taken an offer of acceptance and may have any question on fulfillment of prereq is to proactively check with the school quickly. You may get an informal waiver, told how to request one, or told you may need to take it prior to matriculation.
Thanks!
So worrying about it before applying is generally not necessary?