1 year study plan tbr/ek?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reit24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDNF,

I plan on taking the MCATs a year from now and need a solid study plan. I am going into my 4th year of college and took physics my senior year of high school, gchem as a freshman, organic as a sophomore, and bio/biochem/molec bio as a junior. I will be taking physics again as a senior since I didn't take the AP exam in HS. I was told EK and TBR are the best for review and was hoping for some suggestions as to how to best combine them over the course of a year without getting burnt out.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDNF,

I plan on taking the MCATs a year from now and need a solid study plan. I am going into my 4th year of college and took physics my senior year of high school, gchem as a freshman, organic as a sophomore, and bio/biochem/molec bio as a junior. I will be taking physics again as a senior since I didn't take the AP exam in HS. I was told EK and TBR are the best for review and was hoping for some suggestions as to how to best combine them over the course of a year without getting burnt out.

Thanks in advance!

Take it slow? Spend a few weeks going through all the material at least once. Take a practice test, find your weaknesses. Then work on the weaknesses slowly but surely.

I'm sure you could modify SN2s schedule to over a year. But I think you'd be better off spending 3 or 4 months studying instead of an entire year. No way will you remember crazy detail that you read a year ago. Unless you have an eidetic memory. In which case, I am jealous.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a waste of time and very inefficient to study for the MCAT for 1 year. You most likely won't remember everything you study during that time period and will need to revisit topics over and over. I would do a 4/5 month study plan for the MCAT. It's a bit longer than the usual 3 month study period, but its not so long that makes it inefficient. In the end, time is irrelevant. It's not about quantity of time you spent studying, but the quality and intensity.

Quality over quantity. 4 hours of productive studying and reviewing and understanding your mistakes from the previous day then thinking through the concepts(concepts over memorization, TBR will tell you that over and over) is better than 8 hours of obsessing over details and calling your errors "stupid mistakes"(I used to do that).

A year is ridiculous.... just do 4 months if you really want to. You could start reading magazines that may help for verbal though.

This sure is an old post but I was actually considering doing this. I understand the general populations concern about retention and cramming in studying during a 3-5 month stint but what about my logic and plan? Read below and please comment :)

I've been out of college for about 6 months, have a full time job and am wanting to study for this exact same time period. The only difference is that I would be taking the MCAT in April of 2013.

My Logic:
I haven't visited the tested subjects for quite some time. Mainly due to questioning whether medicine is worth the commitment and if practicing medicine is something I would like to align myself with or not....

Skipping forward a little bit: Because I've been away from the material for quite some time, I figured that I would study for an extended and slow period of time; digesting, comprehending, re-digesting and moving on.

I have EK and Kaplan materials but I have noticed that BR is much more in-depth so this is why I chose to use them during my year study. I suppose I would rather spend time understanding and comprehending than just rote memorizing.

My Plan:
I currently have the BR books and I broke down the weekly schedule. It's about 26 pages per week (the entire BR books that I have amass to approximately 3,000 pages). I haven't gotten to the weekly breakdown of sections yet because I wanted to hop on here and see what people thought about a yearly study.

However, I haven't decided if I should switch between subjects or not. I'm leaning towards 'yes I should' because there may be overlap and dots to be connected between subjects.

At the end of that year, I plan to devote a solid 3-4 months of intense review leading up to my eventual domination of the MCAT.

That 3-4 month time period would likely follow SN2ed's schedule.

So, whatdya guys think? Don't be afraid to criticize. I have enough wiggle room that I could dramatically alter my plan if enough logical thought is presented.

Thanks!

I actually disagree with everyone else. If you study for a year, every day then you will get benefit out of it. Thats what my good friend did and he got a 37. His lowest score was in verbal which was a 9. I think he got a 13 PS 15 BS if I recall.

You will forget some stuff, but the more you go over the stuff you forget the more you store in your memory..Ive been studying for a long time and I can see a lot of benefit so far...

I actually disagree with everyone else. If you study for a year, every day then you will get benefit out of it. Thats what my good friend did and he got a 37. His lowest score was in verbal which was a 9. I think he got a 13 PS 15 BS if I recall.

You will forget some stuff, but the more you go over the stuff you forget the more you store in your memory..Ive been studying for a long time and I can see a lot of benefit so far...

That's what makes logical sense to me. I suppose to each their own.

I appreciate the real-world experience advice, sir / ma'am! :)