10 Days to go and I'm Burnt OUT!

BYUIDoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take the test in 10 days! I've been studying since April and I'm burnt out. I took my first TopScore test yesterday and did o.k.
AA 320
TS 330
I got 31 out 40 right on RC and it said I got a 290. Kaplan and Opted both say that is 340-350 which would make my AA 330.

I feel like I'm wasting precious time if I don't study all day everday. I still have the 2 Full-length Kaplans to take, 2 more TopScore, and the official one from the website. Not to mention I could go over OAT destroyer for a 2nd time.

Any suggestions? Should I take every other day off just to relax my mind? What order should I take the tests in? Is TopScore easier than Kaplan?

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Im in the same boat!

I take my test in 14 days. I have taken 1 kaplan (330 AA, 340 TS) and I took one topscore today (340 AA, 350 TS).

I still have 1 kaplan and 2 Topscores to go.

Having 2 full weeks to study, I am taking 2 full length tests per week, and on the off days I review what I missed. I also work at an optometrist's office 2 days a week.

Hang in there, and dont study every day either. You can read over what you missed on off days, its good practice.

I am writing to ask about the topscore RC too.... I got 33/40, 83% correct and It said I got a 300! It should be more like 360.

Also, going by precentages, I feel like my physics should be slightly higher (it read 350, I feel like it should be more like 360 or 370, I got 75% correct).

Hang in there! Good luck!

When is yours? I take mine August 7th in Maitland, FL

Dont mean to spam, but I overlooked something.

What is the "official one" from the site? what site? Set me up with a link...

Thanks!

Their is a sample test on www.opted.org in the same place where you registered for the OAT. It's almost a full length practice test (only 15 questions-1 passage for RC and only 40 questions for QR). From what I've heard, it's the most representative practice test there is.

Based on your scores Grover2k9, it looks like Kaplan is quite a bit harder than TopScore (especially if you adjust your scores with the correct scoring of QR).

Thanks for your adivce...good luck!

I'm taking it August 3rd in Boise, ID

Members don't see this ad :)
Im in the same boat!

I take my test in 14 days. I have taken 1 kaplan (330 AA, 340 TS) and I took one topscore today (340 AA, 350 TS).

I still have 1 kaplan and 2 Topscores to go.

Having 2 full weeks to study, I am taking 2 full length tests per week, and on the off days I review what I missed. I also work at an optometrist's office 2 days a week.

Hang in there, and dont study every day either. You can read over what you missed on off days, its good practice.

I am writing to ask about the topscore RC too.... I got 33/40, 83% correct and It said I got a 300! It should be more like 360.

Also, going by precentages, I feel like my physics should be slightly higher (it read 350, I feel like it should be more like 360 or 370, I got 75% correct).

Hang in there! Good luck!

When is yours? I take mine August 7th in Maitland, FL

Do you guys know how the OAT is scored? I don't. I thought you both might since you keep saying your scores "should be" higher. What's that based on? Just curious.

By the way, I'm glad I didn't know about this site 5 years ago because posts like this would have scared the crap out of me. I bought one $30 prep book, paged through it, did a few problems and that was it. If I had known how some of you prepare, I probably would have been cramming all the time.

Goodluck to everyone taking it!!!!!!! You guys are scaring me too, I have been studying for about a month and a half and feel as if there is still so much to go over.

Do you guys know if the same curve as the one from the practice test on opted.org is the same curve that will be used on the real exam? I have also been using that curve to chart my progress on the kaplan subject tests.

The thin Kaplan book has a score conversion chart that indicates what your scaled score (200-400) is based on how many questions you get right. www.opted.org also has a similar scoring chart. Our TopScore scores should be higher based on these charts. For example, TopScore says a 31/40 is a 290, but the official website says it should be 350.

I admit to being a bit fanatical about studying, but I don't want to risk any chances of having to take it again. Plus, as the years go on the competition seems to be getting tougher. Most optometrists I've shadowed said that as long as I scored a 300 or better I'd be fine. Not anymore!

Thanks BYUIdoc. I have another question..I believe you are taking a kaplan course for the OAT too (correct me if I am wrong)..do you know if the thin kaplan oat book has the same questions as the online practice tests on the course website?

Don't feel bad for preparing a lot for the exam, I am sure many out there are doing the same. Since many of us really want to maximize our chances of acceptance, we don't want to risk getting a lower score. I feel the same way,=). Goodluck to you again.

300+ in all subsections is something to shoot for...

I found that TopScore was lower than my actual OAT scores, just my 2 cents.

Also, take off the day before your exam. Don't do anything optometry related, relax your mind, get plenty of rest. Have breakfast, too!

Good luck!

sniklegem, How much lower were your topscore tests than the real thing? Did you take them within a few weeks before the real test, after you'd already studied the subjects well, or more towards the beginning of your studies?

richard86, I actually didn't sign up for the full-on Kaplan course. I do, however, have access to five subject tests for each subject. I can check them out at my school library. I pretty sure they are from the OAT/DAT Kaplan course. In comparing those with the practice sets in the kaplan book, I have already seen every physics question. The other sections are different. I'm not sure about the actual full-length practice tests though, I'll be taking my first one tomorrow.

If you score around 330 on your topscore exams, I would expect you to score 360+ on the real thing. Also, they make mistakes on your reading comp score so obviously dont go off of that. I got 37/40 on one of the topscore reading comps and they still gave me a surprisingly low score (low 300's i think).

If was hitting 340's on topscore and Kaplan and when the real exam came around i got mostly 400's.

I think grover and byu are going to do VERY well and you'll be happy with your results!

Sight5. You made me feel great just now.

I am excited to take it now, and get it over with.

I dont apply for another year though :)

Oh my gosh, you guys are making me soo nervous! I've been getting like 290s when taking the practice tests. I only have a month left to study - yikes! Has anyone tried the Kaplan tutoring? I know it's really expensive but it just may be worth it...

sniklegem, How much lower were your topscore tests than the real thing? Did you take them within a few weeks before the real test, after you'd already studied the subjects well, or more towards the beginning of your studies?

From what I recall... because it was some time ago... it was about 30 points lower. So after I was fretting about my sub-300 physics scores on the TopScore, I was really relieved with real score. Good luck, have fun!