10 Questions format for Anki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderdog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow SDNers,

I found an excellent blog with corresponding instructions on a method to improving studying in medical school with Anki.

This is a unique method that I haven't found before.

https://managingmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/how-to-make-high-quality-anki-cards-quickly/

I've been using this method and I feel as though my decks and studying are much more organized.

Members don't see this ad.

I like this blog. Undecided about the method.

Reactions: 1 user
You people are obsessed with this Anki crap. What ever happened to reading a book?

Members don't see this ad :)
I continue to use the old version of Anki because the new one doesn't support my method of making cards. Here's my method:
1) Open pdf of lecture, fit to half your screen
2) Open Anki deck and make the 'add cards' window the other half of your screen
3) Open your favorite screen capture program and have it ready in case you need it

4) copy/paste the first remotely testable point to an anki card. highlight a term or group of terms in the anki window and press F9. This is the cloze function which basically removes the highlighted portion from the front of the card, puts a blank in its place, and copies the whole front of the card to the back with the excerpted point highlighted in blue.

5) You can ctrl-v to redo this and chose different terms to cloze out. I would usually get a few cards for every testable point/slide because I knew they would get scattered throughout the deck during reviews and it made sure I knew the material from every possible angle

6) later, rinse, repeat. Can use screen grabs of pics if needed as well. I like to screen grab every slide and place the relevant one at the bottom of every card derived from it(2-3 keystroke speed key) so I can recall it in context.

Takes 40-60 minutes to convert every word of a 1 hour lecture into 100-150 anki cards, less if you're not as crazy. Would end up with 4-5000 cards per exam covering 5-6 weeks of material, an insane amount but doable if you chip away at it every day during the block. Pretty much guarantees 98-100% on the material covered, but may also drive you insane. SOOOO glad to be done with pre-clinical!

5000 cards?!??!!??!?!? Holy. First year, I was averaging 600-700 cards/test. Second year, it's closer to 900-1000, and I already go crazy. I can't imagine 5000 cards.

wtf. I never went to class so probably ended up studying about 2 hrs/lecture total before exams. that is generous.

it would've taken 2hrs to just make 150 flash cards.

I mean, whatever works but holy **** when do you chill??

sort of off topic:

Does anyone know how to separate the order in which I see review/learn/new cards? For example, if I had a deck with 10 new cards 10 to review and 10 to learn, right now by default the learning cards have priority so I'll get those 10 first. It then alternates (seemingly) randomly between the 20 remaining new and review cards. Ideally my order would go 10 learn->10 new-> 10review, followed by learning those new cards if necessary. Hope that makes sense. Any ideas?

I searched on Anki forums and in the manual but couldn't find an answer... I've been using Anki for about 1.5 years now but haven't gotten too deep in manipulating formatting and options.

sort of off topic:

Does anyone know how to separate the order in which I see review/learn/new cards? For example, if I had a deck with 10 new cards 10 to review and 10 to learn, right now by default the learning cards have priority so I'll get those 10 first. It then alternates (seemingly) randomly between the 20 remaining new and review cards. Ideally my order would go 10 learn->10 new-> 10review, followed by learning those new cards if necessary. Hope that makes sense. Any ideas?

I searched on Anki forums and in the manual but couldn't find an answer... I've been using Anki for about 1.5 years now but haven't gotten too deep in manipulating formatting and options.

I'm not sure Anki is capable of doing that.

sort of off topic:

Good question, I've wondered the same thing. Also, is there any way to always have the cards come up in the same order that they were made? That would help immensely for certain subjects where one card out of context doesn't make sense.

sort of off topic:

Good question, I've wondered the same thing. Also, is there any way to always have the cards come up in the same order that they were made? That would help immensely for certain subjects where one card out of context doesn't make sense.

This is why I used Mental Case if I ever wanted to use flash cards. It's the closest thing I've found that's set up like a physical set of cards; it doesn't force you to adhere to any particular study regimen. I just wish it was cross platform and not for Mac stuff only!

MTApBCh.png

I use it to make cards only for high yield topics or things I struggle with. Good program but honestly, it's overkill to use it for the minutiae of day-to-day classes.