Dec 24, 2012
Status
Hey guys I need a little help. I am starting masters in biomedical sciences at campbell university. I have 3.1 cgpa as a chemistry undergrad. I am applying to campbell because they have a good linkage program as long as you can keep a 3.0 and >500 in the mcat. The program in 25k each semester and 2 years long. however they will accept students in the do school after one year.

I have been out of school for a 1yr now and I am blindly going into this program. Am I making a mistake taking in such a big debt?

Thanks for your response.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Yes, its a big mistake.

If you can get your GPA up to a 3.4+ and a 500+, you can get into a DO school.

Plus, there are programs like VCOM and LECOM post baccs that have automatic acceptance that are much less money.

Worst case scenario, go to podiatry school.

Hey guys I need a little help. I am starting masters in biomedical sciences at campbell university. I have 3.1 cgpa as a chemistry undergrad. I am applying to campbell because they have a good linkage program as long as you can keep a 3.0 and >500 in the mcat. The program in 25k each semester and 2 years long. however they will accept students in the do school after one year.

I have been out of school for a 1yr now and I am blindly going into this program. Am I making a mistake taking in such a big debt?

WGSgrad

2+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I can also not recommend this. I think you need to take a step back before taking on that kind of debt. I would recommend reading the following threads for better advice on what you might do instead.

Goro’s advice for DO applicants in the absence of grade replacement

The Low Gpa--What Do I Do Thread
  • DrMidLife has a huge body of work on the forum about what to do in your position (they climbed back from and even rougher place) and any it might behoove you to read through many of their post.

About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student

It's simply not worth it when there are a lot of cheaper programs, especially when you DIY.

Edit, there is also no reason for a post-bac/SMP to last two years.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status

Only thing I would add to the above advice man is this; be wary of wanting to be in a program like this because it is a formal and constructed thing to do. I just know personally I was considering SMPs like this cause it was nice in my mind to be able to tell people "oh I'm in grad school and then looking to go to med school." That's obviously not a logical thought process. I don't mean to imply you are thinking this way also but it's my experience with it and I know the experience some of my friends who were int he same situation have had.

Instead I did a DIY postbacc and really enjoyed it, and most importantly feel that it prepared me to be successful in med school. Probably spent 8k and was able to pay it up front while working. You don't want 100k of debt going into medical school on top of everything else. There are other options out there for you.

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2014
Probably the library
Status
Medical Student
Instead I did a DIY postbacc and really enjoyed it, and most importantly feel that it prepared me to be successful in med school. Probably spent 8k and was able to pay it up front while working. You don't want 100k of debt going into medical school on top of everything else. There are other options out there for you.
This. My DIY was 5 classes all paid out of pocket and probably cost less than 3k over a year and a half. I would hate myself going into school to take on ~250k in debt with ~130k owed already instead of 30. That's just insane to me.

austintr

5000 candles in the wind
5+ Year Member
May 21, 2014
Probably the library
Status
Medical Student
I'll just add this: would you pay TWO years worth of DO tuition to have a fair to good chance at paying for more years in tuition?

Peach Newport

board certified in jewish dermatology
5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Big, big mistake.

I'm gonna say it: SMP programs with Linkage are dumb. They give you a marginally better chance at acceptance at that school, but screw up your chances at other schools because the needed grades are way too hard to get. The people I know who did SMPs with linkage, even those who were ACCEPTED due to linkage, agree with me. If you can do well in the SMP, then you can do even better in an MBS - which gives you better chances at more schools.

You should never apply to medical school expecting that you will get into one specific school.

But all this is irrelevant, because that's WAY too high a price to pay. There is absolutely no good reason to do this, and you will regret it.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
I disagree about SMPs w/linkages being dumb.

For some people, it's the only way they can be a doctor, and many people have gotten into a school through a SMP with linkage. One without linkage is dumb.

I personally know people with MCATS in the low 490s who did linkage programs and are now starting their first year of Med school. She would have never gotten into a US school if it wasn't for that SMP.

Big, big mistake.

I'm gonna say it: SMP programs with Linkage are dumb. They give you a marginally better chance at acceptance at that school, but screw up your chances at other schools because the needed grades are way too hard to get. The people I know who did SMPs with linkage, even those who were ACCEPTED due to linkage, agree with me. If you can do well in the SMP, then you can do even better in an MBS - which gives you better chances at more schools.

You should never apply to medical school expecting that you will get into one specific school.

But all this is irrelevant, because that's WAY too high a price to pay. There is absolutely no good reason to do this, and you will regret it.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension

This is so expensive and time consuming that it's basically a scam. My premed courses cost me around 14.5k, which I paid mostly out of pocket.

Peach Newport

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I disagree about SMPs w/linkages being dumb.

For some people, it's the only way they can be a doctor, and many people have gotten into a school through a SMP with linkage. One without linkage is dumb.

I personally know people with MCATS in the low 490s who did linkage programs and are now starting their first year of Med school. She would have never gotten into a US school if it wasn't for that SMP.
Yes, for some people - specifically

A) people who have irredeemable mcat scores and can't/won't retake.
B) people who are willing to bet their entire future that they will be in the top 1/3 or so of a medical school class, AND are willing to risk their chances of being a doctor for a slightly Better chance at that one school.

Otherwise, the gamble is too high. If you can succeed in an SMP, you can succeed in an MBS/MAMS style program that will give you a much stronger overall medical school application, at half the stress and half the price.

GypsyHummus

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Just because someone does well in a regular masters program doesn't guarantee that med schools are going to pick them up.

I don't think you have to be in the top 1/3 of the class for the SMP. Places like VCOM and LECOM have had much better success rates. (VCOM if I recall 70% get in).

Yes, for some people - specifically

A) people who have irredeemable mcat scores and can't/won't retake.
B) people who are willing to bet their entire future that they will be in the top 1/3 or so of a medical school class, AND are willing to risk their chances of being a doctor for a slightly Better chance at that one school.

Otherwise, the gamble is too high. If you can succeed in an SMP, you can succeed in an MBS/MAMS style program that will give you a much stronger overall medical school application, at half the stress and half the price.

About the Ads
Aug 8, 2017
DO NOT GO TO CAMPBELL, They just want your money. Campbell changed the second yr of their masters program to all research. They have all but given up on the people whom were not accepted after the first year. I know some of the MSBS students. You are better of with LECOM or VCOM. Campbell does not listen to it's students. The teachers are great but the administration is terrible.

Reactions: IslandStyle808

bears1992

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Yeah 100k for a DO spot is wayyyyy too much for someone with your stats. A year of DIY postbac is all you really need to get into DO and that could cost you less than 5k.

Ixacex

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student

not worth it. Case has a SMP program which is a lot cheaper than that

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Its sad that these blood sucking leaches are profiting off of students who cannot use grade replacement anymore...

Reactions: Giovanotto

Ixacex

2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Status
Medical Student

WGSgrad

2+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Big, big mistake.

You work on commission don't you?

Peach Newport

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You work on commission don't you?
I'm legally required to disclose that the MBS-industrial complex pays me a small percentage of the tuition paid by any hopeful pre-meds I refer to any MBS program. However, they deduct the tuition of any pre-med who does an SMP. I stand to lose a lot of money if OP chooses this program and I'm worried!

WGSgrad

2+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm legally required to disclose that the MBS-industrial complex pays me a small percentage of the tuition paid by any hopeful pre-meds I refer to any MBS program. However, they deduct the tuition of any pre-med who does an SMP. I stand to lose a lot of money if OP chooses this program and I'm worried!
Awe...haha. You're adorable.

I'm old and cheesy and was making a Pretty Woman joke.

OP
K
Dec 24, 2012
Status
OSTEO schools no longer do grade replacements, thinking that i went ahead and pursued the smp program. I was able to cut the cost of the SMP and bring it down to 60k(2 years) however I was told by the admission of the DO school here in Campbell if I can keep mostly A's in SMP w a 500 on mcat I am in for incoming 2018 class. So far its challenging, I am having to fix my study habits and stuff but I am giving it all as this is the last chance for me. I will keep ya posted.

jdrb0130

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
OSTEO schools no longer do grade replacements, thinking that i went ahead and pursued the smp program. I was able to cut the cost of the SMP and bring it down to 60k(2 years) however I was told by the admission of the DO school here in Campbell if I can keep mostly A's in SMP w a 500 on mcat I am in for incoming 2018 class. So far its challenging, I am having to fix my study habits and stuff but I am giving it all as this is the last chance for me. I will keep ya posted.
How is it?

About the Ads