100mm lens f/2 or f/2.8?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gumtee

Reaction score
Hi guys
Looking to buy a new camera

When buying a 100mm lens what is the difference between f/2 and f/2.8!?
Think I’ve ordered a canon 100mm f/2 but noticed that most dentists use 100mm f/2.8. Should I return it ?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

An f2 camera lens is better than an f2.8. Although I dont imagine you would even use that low of an f stop in the office so it doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
An f2 camera lens is better than an f2.8. Although I dont imagine you would even use that low of an f stop in the office so it doesn't matter.
Thank you that’s what I thought but had a mini panic

Members don't see this ad :)
@Awarara do you know if whether the lens is macro or not is important or not ? I don’t think the lens I bought is macro ...

For dental photography you won’t be using a wide aperture so what the F number is doesn’t really matter. However a macro lens allows close focusing which may be needed if you need to take a picture of a single tooth at very close range.

Reactions: 1 user
For dental photography you won’t be using a wide aperture so what the F number is doesn’t really matter. However a macro lens allows close focusing which may be needed if you need to take a picture of a single tooth at very close range.
Thanks. I’ll double check when it arrives but I imagine I will have to return it

With a focal length of 100mm I don't think you're going to be close enough to the subject for a macro to really matter. Assuming the f2 lens you bought doesn't have an absurdly long minimum focus distance then you should be good without the macro function. Now if you had a shorter focal length, like 35 or 50, you'd be much closer to the subject and probably want macro.