cv length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user2222

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it bad to leave a CV at 3.5 pages and not fill up the page? or does it look better if the page is filled and it is 4 pages instead?

Members don't see this ad.

is it bad to leave a CV at 3.5 pages and not fill up the page? or does it look better if the page is filled and it is 4 pages instead?
I can not speak for others but...
My feeling is that the CV is just to get your foot in the door. Anything over 1 page starts to loose my attention. I one page I know if I want to know more about this person or not.
A good 1 page CV will have me calling the applicant for more information. A 3.5 page CV will be put in the "maybe review later" before I get to page 3.

Reactions: 1 user
My feeling is that the CV is just to get your foot in the door. Anything over 1 page starts to loose my attention. I one page I know if I want to know more about this person or not.
A good 1 page CV will have me calling the applicant for more information. A 3.5 page CV will be put in the "maybe review later" before I get to page 3.
You want a resume then. Resume is concise, usually a page or so and has key facts about your professional experiences. CV should encompass the whole course of your career and is longer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I think this is also a discussion of vocabulary: what they call a CV in the UK is equivalent to a resume in the US and an "academic CV" in the US is much longer and can be up to 10 pages. They suggest they stay between 4-6 though.

You want a resume then. Resume is concise, usually a page or so and has key facts about your professional experiences. CV should encompass the whole course of your career and is longer.
Agree.

Also, to answer the original question. I tried to get mine as close to a full page a possible only for the aesthetics of it. But, I doubt it will get you removed from consideration if your CV cuts off 1/2 way through a page.

As a PD, I need concise, not flowery, wordy, overly descriptive CV's I want to see education, experience, awards, research and leadership. Beyond that is fluff. If someone puts "DDS Class President" then uses a paragraph to describe what the job was. I am out. I know what a Class President does, don't try to make it more than it is. I can read research, I don't need a paragraph description of your dental school project. The title will speak for its self. Lastly, don't tell me what you did on externships or during your internship. I know what those are and what is entailed.

Hope this helps. CONCISE! and whoever above said 1-2 pages max. Perfect, we need more of those voices on here.

Reactions: 1 users
What’s the CV for?

My general recommendation and what I’ve always done for myself is 2 pages. My CV would be longer if I included everting I’ve done but it’s tuned up and edited for the audience. What may be relevant for one audience may be irrelevant for another warranting it’s removal from the CV.

For a resume - which I haven’t used since going to dental school - would be one page.

If you’re in academia and applying for a faculty position you may need more space if you’re well published and that is of interest to your audience.

If you’re set on 3 + pages. I think having 1/2 page is fine.