USMLE going P/F starting January 2022 at the earliest - What does this mean for OMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DustFreeEraser

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Being that CBSE is managed by NBME which manages USMLE, are any current residents/PDs/etc able to chime in on what they think would happen?

What purpose does CBSE have in keeping numerical scores when Step 1 itself is P/F? Will oral surgery start looking at ADAT more heavily?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Being that CBSE is managed by NBME which manages USMLE, are any current residents/PDs/etc able to chime in on what they think would happen?

What purpose does CBSE have in keeping numerical scores when Step 1 itself is P/F? Will oral surgery start looking at ADAT more heavily?

Thanks for your time!
Why do you think the ADAT is a more suitable exam?

It will change nothing for the cbse. Already OMFS 6-year residents simply need to pass step 1 and their actual score on step 1 is meaningless aside from pride. So in a sense, it's already been P/F for OMFS residents. The CBSE is way more relevant to OMFS residency than the ADAT. A strong argument could be made that OMFS should be a medical residency instead of dental. The CBSE helps to expose applicants to the scope of knowledge needed to excel in a medical setting. Additionally, the CBSE does a great job of stratifying applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The ADAT was simply a random example that I used, to be honest.
I feel OS wanted an additional way to stratify students and Part 1 was originally used before it too became P/F hence the switch to CBSE.
I am just fearing NBME discontinuing CBSE and/or having no numerical scores given from the test.

It will change nothing for the cbse. Already OMFS 6-year residents simply need to pass step 1 and their actual score on step 1 is meaningless aside from pride. So in a sense, it's already been P/F for OMFS residents. The CBSE is way more relevant to OMFS residency than the ADAT. A strong argument could be made that OMFS should be a medical residency instead of dental. The CBSE helps to expose applicants to the scope of knowledge needed to excel in a medical setting. Additionally, the CBSE does a great job of stratifying applicants.
I think something OP was also meaning is whether or not the CBSE will also change their score to a P/F system, or if they will stay with 3 digit?

on the interview trail i heard residents say that cornell removed its 6 year track because the omfs residents were having issues getting 230+ on step 1 thus lowering the step 1 average. if that's the case then that explains why high cbse scores are an important factor for omfs 6 yr program applicants, but now that step 1 is shifting to p/f maybe very high cbse (75+) scores don't matter as much... but who knows..

on the interview trail i heard residents say that cornell removed its 6 year track because the omfs residents were having issues getting 230+ on step 1 thus lowering the step 1 average. if that's the case then that explains why high cbse scores are an important factor for omfs 6 yr program applicants, but now that step 1 is shifting to p/f maybe very high cbse (75+) scores don't matter as much... but who knows..

230+??? A lot of med students don't even get that.

Correct...thats with 2 years of med school and dedicated time off to study. Compare that to some OMFS programs that give no time off and having to take it during intern year. I guess I'm just surprised a med school would be upset with the OMFS residents getting <230.

I feel like OPs question boils down to...will CBSE be affected by the change? It is handled by the NBME so if the Step 1 has no scoring why would the CBSE?
You could argue that it would keep a score so students know just how close to failing or passing they are.

there is definitely an argument that they will stop scoring it too.

I feel like OPs question boils down to...will CBSE be affected by the change? It is handled by the NBME so if the Step 1 has no scoring why would the CBSE?
You could argue that it would keep a score so students know just how close to failing or passing they are.

there is definitely an argument that they will stop scoring it too.

Yes, thank you, that is precisely what I am wanting to know.

Looking at Canada, OS schools select based on school grades (more viable in Canada as no schools are P/F), extracurriculars, and reference letters. I am thinking US may move towards this path. However, it is also interesting to note the US used Part I score prior to CBSE as they wanted to stratify applicants in some way, so who knows, maybe the ADAT will be used.

On a side note, Step 1 becoming P/F is a step towards emulating how the residency process is done in Canada as medical schools in Canada are P/F and students show interest in a particular field (e.g. ophth, derm, etc) through research, extra curriculars, and electives.

A 230+ on USMLE as an OMFS resident is very doable

Reactions: 1 user
yeah because 2-3 residents would significantly lower the average of a 100 person class. Not saying you didn't hear that, but that's a stupid reason to get rid of a program.

Reactions: 1 users
yeah because 2-3 residents would significantly lower the average of a 100 person class. Not saying you didn't hear that, but that's a stupid reason to get rid of a program.

If OMFS residents fail, that's a much bigger deal than scoring in the low 200s. I have no idea what happened with that program but OMFS residents definitely have failed step 1 (at various programs) and that makes things politically difficult for those 6 year programs.

I think this will mean that more 4 year programs will turn into 6 years. If med schools had apprehensions due to Step 1 concerns, this kind of alleviates the issue. Most people are matching with passing step scores nowadays anyways.

I think a lot of 4 year programs are strictly hospital based without an associated med school.

Reactions: 1 user
230+??? A lot of med students don't even get that.

depends on the school..
I just know that the average step score matters to med schools because many accepted students use that as a factor to determine where end up matriculating, but with step going to p/f none of it matters anymore