10k/mo minimum in set expenses new reality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doesn’t work that way. Tort liability

I also consulted attorney.

There is a marital loophole to divorce the lower earning spouse and put the kid under the ex spouse name and the car under the ex spouse name.

That works for college financial aide also
There are many ways to protect your wealth. I would advise folks to look at their homestead exemptions, maxing out their retirement accounts for ERISA protection, look at asset protection trusts, burying gold in the backyard or hiding $ in the mattress before considering an umbrella policy as their saving grace. I would beef up my other insurance policies before dropping a dime into an umbrella. As a matter of fact, GEICO would not even sell me an umbrella before I agreed to increase the insured limits on my home and auto policies. This increased my overall insurance costs. They also excluded coverage for any business dealings including for my C-Corp as a Locums doc.

I view some insurance policies as a scam even though you are forced to buy some of it. Health, umbrella, homeowners and disability are examples. I have a disability policy that I filed a claim once that they kept delaying like forever. A friend knows a dentist who had to go on full disability. His policy didn’t pay and forced him to go to court so they could negotiate a lower payment to him.
 
There are many ways to protect your wealth. I would advise folks to look at their homestead exemptions, maxing out their retirement accounts for ERISA protection, look at asset protection trusts, burying gold in the backyard or hiding $ in the mattress before considering an umbrella policy as their saving grace. I would beef up my other insurance policies before dropping a dime into an umbrella. As a matter of fact, GEICO would not even sell me an umbrella before I agreed to increase the insured limits on my home and auto policies. This increased my overall insurance costs. They also excluded coverage for any business dealings including for my C-Corp as a Locums doc.

I view some insurance policies as a scam even though you are forced to buy some of it. Health, umbrella, homeowners and disability are examples. I have a disability policy that I filed a claim once that they kept delaying like forever. A friend knows a dentist who had to go on full disability. His policy didn’t pay and forced him to go to court so they could negotiate a lower payment to him.
Yes. I’ve been moving a ton of money off taxable brokerage accounts

I discontinued my personal disability policy years ago.

And you don’t need homeowners insurance if the house is free and clear. Stupid to pay 30k-40k a year of a policy on the beach. It’s a risk but odds are in your favor you can pay for repairs yourself due to storm damage.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would suggest people looking for legal advice and ways to shelter assets and reduce liability consult with an actual attorney. Lots of this stuff is going to vary state to state and what works in one location may not work in another.
 
You may be overinsuring yourself on that budget. Why get umbrella insurance when you don’t have much in assets for creditors to claim. You can drop comprehensive car insurance if you buy a used car where the replacement value cost is less than the cost of this insurance. Term life insurance doesn’t make sense if you don’t have kids. You have to look at your home insurance to see if it’s reasonable.

When I started out, I just bought disability and health insurance.

Umbrella is a necessary evil for high earners.

If you get an umbrella policy they will require higher policy coverage on your car insurance though which does raise your rates

In the grand scheme, it's a relatively small amount for peace of mind.

With how lawyers milk the system regarding personal injury, I don't want to be personally on the hook for some injury I could have caused in an accident etc
 
Yes. I’ve been moving a ton of money off taxable brokerage accounts

I discontinued my personal disability policy years ago.

And you don’t need homeowners insurance if the house is free and clear. Stupid to pay 30k-40k a year of a policy on the beach. It’s a risk but odds are in your favor you can pay for repairs yourself due to storm damage.

But wait, a physician real estate guru told me to "never pay off your mortgage, EVER." 🤣
 
I was told starting out that umbrella insurance just makes the plaintiffs greedier and seek more $ in court. It may not protect your assets at all if they just ask for more. Just like most malpractice awards awarded are to the limits of your policy.

The insurance may help offset the cost of an attorney.

I had an umbrella policy through GEICO but cancelled it because they kept jacking the rates even with no claims made. Also realized they had so many exclusions to the policy it was almost pointless to buy it. For example, they told me I had to exhaust my home, auto, malpractice coverages before I could use the umbrella protections.
Yes, that is exactly what it's supposed to do. It's the backstop after the auto or home insurance is exhausted. Malpractice has nothing to do with it, as umbrella won't do anything if you get sued for malpractice.
 
Yes. I’ve been moving a ton of money off taxable brokerage accounts

I discontinued my personal disability policy years ago.

And you don’t need homeowners insurance if the house is free and clear. Stupid to pay 30k-40k a year of a policy on the beach. It’s a risk but odds are in your favor you can pay for repairs yourself due to storm damage.

Doesn't homeowners insurance cover injuries etc that happen on your property? Wouldn't you need coverage to cover that type of mishap regardless of mortgage status?
 
Every man/woman should decide what they spend it on without others judging. My wife was SAH and she didn't want any help. No nannies, no family members although we have a bunch that wanted to help. If she wanted one, I would get one. Better to have a happy wife who is sane than one that is on a knife's edge lacking sleep.

SAHM is one of the hardest job. Give me going to work over SAH with 3 young kids any day.
 
Every man/woman should decide what they spend it on without others judging. My wife was SAH and she didn't want any help. No nannies, no family members although we have a bunch that wanted to help. If she wanted one, I would get one. Better to have a happy wife who is sane than one that is on a knife's edge lacking sleep.

SAHM is one of the hardest job. Give me going to work over SAH with 3 young kids any day.


I used to tell my wife that I need to go to work to get some rest.
 
There are many ways to protect your wealth. I would advise folks to look at their homestead exemptions, maxing out their retirement accounts for ERISA protection, look at asset protection trusts, burying gold in the backyard or hiding $ in the mattress before considering an umbrella policy as their saving grace. I would beef up my other insurance policies before dropping a dime into an umbrella. As a matter of fact, GEICO would not even sell me an umbrella before I agreed to increase the insured limits on my home and auto policies. This increased my overall insurance costs. They also excluded coverage for any business dealings including for my C-Corp as a Locums doc.

I view some insurance policies as a scam even though you are forced to buy some of it. Health, umbrella, homeowners and disability are examples. I have a disability policy that I filed a claim once that they kept delaying like forever. A friend knows a dentist who had to go on full disability. His policy didn’t pay and forced him to go to court so they could negotiate a lower payment to him.
best way to protect your wealth is the Hakimi method.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds about right

But when new (newer board certified ) grads are doing anesthesia locums and taking in at minimum 60k a month. Sometimes up to 150k a month Does 10k a month in expenses matter?

Younger doc I helped along in this journey. Recently turned 33. Kid been hitting 100k consistently a month. I got him in on this lucrative 30k locums weekend gig starting next month also. He may go for 200k a month soon. He’s got way more energy than me.

I’m like damn boy. And he showed me his original 450k student loan. (He made some good investments choices) also sold a house he got in residency for profit.

All student loans paid off in less than 3 years out of residency. Zero balance. So even 450k student loans can be paid off in less than 3 years. And he’s traveling like crazy. Europe 3x last year. Vietnam’s Thailand. Maldives. Australian in the fall. And he’s married. (Prenup of course) spouse made 25k last year.

So kids. Go make that cash. Go live your life.

10k average expenses is nothing. It’s a rounding error.
Where is this? I would like to transition to a locum part time locum model.
 
Where is this? I would like to transition to a locum part time locum model.
It’s every where. I keep answering the same “where is this”. It’s probably in your back yard. Except you don’t hustle around. Nothing is gonna to be given to you. Locums comes and goes. Never get comfortable. Have credentials at many places. Plan your schedule 60 days out. 30 days out. Back fill in gaps

Be flexible. Be ready. Get credential at multiple places. I’m working at 3 sites this week. Often times 2 sites on the same day. Next week is crazy week. I will do 4 sites (3 different calls blocks). Multi tasking.
 
It’s every where. I keep answering the same “where is this”. It’s probably in your back yard. Except you don’t hustle around. Nothing is gonna to be given to you. Locums comes and goes. Never get comfortable. Have credentials at many places. Plan your schedule 60 days out. 30 days out. Back fill in gaps

Be flexible. Be ready. Get credential at multiple places. I’m working at 3 sites this week. Often times 2 sites on the same day. Next week is crazy week. I will do 4 sites (3 different calls blocks). Multi tasking.
Also credential with multiple agencies, direct contracts with hospitals and AMCs.

The last minute "hey can you fly out tomorrow" call has a very high price that oftentimes is met. Just got this call 2 weeks ago- had a 2 day trip on my buddy's yacht to the Bahamas which I had to cancel because my high price was met. So be flexible, able to throw a quick bag together, a partner or family that understands and you can make an almost 15 year career like me doing locums.
 
Sadly in the same boat. Losing tons of $ every month but I'd lose way more without the help.

Well been doing the nanny interviews. Pretty much 45-50k/yr for 40 hours. It is going rate and people want to be paid cash only. not even sure how people do that without the bank getting all suspicious. MCOL area. The only positive is one person who is available we had a sibling use for many years and they also did some minor cooking and baby laundry as well and speaks the same native tongue so kinda lucky that they are known. Mentally sucks to see 50k down the drain but at least wife will be planning to go from 40 to 32 clinical hours after the leave.
 
Well been doing the nanny interviews. Pretty much 45-50k/yr for 40 hours. It is going rate and people want to be paid cash only. not even sure how people do that without the bank getting all suspicious. MCOL area. The only positive is one person who is available we had a sibling use for many years and they also did some minor cooking and baby laundry as well and speaks the same native tongue so kinda lucky that they are known. Mentally sucks to see 50k down the drain but at least wife will be planning to go from 40 to 32 clinical hours after the leave.
That money will be the least of your problems. If they are good and reliable and you trust them, it’s a bargain at twice the price.
 
Well been doing the nanny interviews. Pretty much 45-50k/yr for 40 hours. It is going rate and people want to be paid cash only. not even sure how people do that without the bank getting all suspicious. MCOL area. The only positive is one person who is available we had a sibling use for many years and they also did some minor cooking and baby laundry as well and speaks the same native tongue so kinda lucky that they are known. Mentally sucks to see 50k down the drain but at least wife will be planning to go from 40 to 32 clinical hours after the leave.
40-50k is a normal locums week of work especially in the summer time for anesthesia lol

Pay it and keep the spouse happy bruh. I stopped being cheap. Woman is happy. Kids happy ha ha. I don’t have to deal with the complaints.

I used to think that way also. Nickel and diming. If paying for a nanny makes your life easier and doesn’t break the bank. It’s worth it.
 
Well been doing the nanny interviews. Pretty much 45-50k/yr for 40 hours. It is going rate and people want to be paid cash only. not even sure how people do that without the bank getting all suspicious. MCOL area. The only positive is one person who is available we had a sibling use for many years and they also did some minor cooking and baby laundry as well and speaks the same native tongue so kinda lucky that they are known. Mentally sucks to see 50k down the drain but at least wife will be planning to go from 40 to 32 clinical hours after the leave.

That's not much for someone whose going to be around your kids and house basically unsupervised. Gotta pay for quality.
 
Well been doing the nanny interviews. Pretty much 45-50k/yr for 40 hours. It is going rate and people want to be paid cash only. not even sure how people do that without the bank getting all suspicious. MCOL area. The only positive is one person who is available we had a sibling use for many years and they also did some minor cooking and baby laundry as well and speaks the same native tongue so kinda lucky that they are known. Mentally sucks to see 50k down the drain but at least wife will be planning to go from 40 to 32 clinical hours after the leave.

That's very similar to how hospital admin views your skill and talents, funny how that works isn't it?

You want quality? It'll cost more, but the benefit won't be to apparent to the naked eye or people who don't care about quality (enter hospital admin, private equity)

All the pre/post nurses, surgeons, CRNAs/AAs, even anesthesia residents and SRNAs will know, however.

Pay them what they are asking for if that seems to be market rate, and they seem reliable, it's that simple.
 
Well been doing the nanny interviews. Pretty much 45-50k/yr for 40 hours. It is going rate and people want to be paid cash only. not even sure how people do that without the bank getting all suspicious. MCOL area. The only positive is one person who is available we had a sibling use for many years and they also did some minor cooking and baby laundry as well and speaks the same native tongue so kinda lucky that they are known. Mentally sucks to see 50k down the drain but at least wife will be planning to go from 40 to 32 clinical hours after the leave.


That begs the question, how does anybody survive on $50k/yr nowadays? Genuinely curious how they do that. Rich spouse? Take the bus? Dollar store? Title of this thread is “$10k/month minimum”.
 
Last edited:
That begs the question, how does anybody survive on $50k/yr nowadays? Genuinely curious how they do that. Take the bus? Dollar store? Title of this thread is “$10k/month minimum”.
I have survived on 34k as resident. Roommate in big city 25 years old

U can rent a room these days for $600/mo in 2026. My kids (like many of our kids) are so freakin spoiled (yes part of blame is on parents like me). They troll me saying “sucks to be you” when I tell them I struggled when I was younger.
 
I have survived on 34k as resident. Roommate in big city 25 years old

U can rent a room these days for $600/mo in 2026. My kids (like many of our kids) are so freakin spoiled (yes part of blame is on parents like me). They troll me saying “sucks to be you” when I tell them I struggled when I was younger.


I did fine on $28k/yr in Manhattan in the 1990s but it’s 2026 now. So nanny rents a room or do they get housing?
 
I did fine on $28k/yr in Manhattan in the 1990s but it’s 2026 now. So nanny rents a room or do they get housing?
If you look on Facebook market place or similar places, people are always looking for rooms to rent. I see them as low as $300 to as high as $1000 a month. $150 a week etc

There are ways to make ends meet.
 
That begs the question, how does anybody survive on $50k/yr nowadays? Genuinely curious how they do that. Rich spouse? Take the bus? Dollar store? Title of this thread is “$10k/month minimum”.

This forum has a massive perspective problem.

They have roommates and/or live in a LCOL area. They eat cheaply. They don't fly business class, or they don't fly at all. They drive an old car. They don't have nannies or a lawn service. They don't buy bitcoins or TSLA stock. They don't spend $155/month in streaming subscriptions. They have no health care or they have subsidized health care. They are one $500 emergency away from a payday loan. They struggle with revolving debt.

They wonder why doctors bitch so much about being so poor.
 
This forum has a massive perspective problem.

They have roommates and/or live in a LCOL area. They eat cheaply. They don't fly business class, or they don't fly at all. They drive an old car. They don't have nannies or a lawn service. They don't buy bitcoins or TSLA stock. They don't spend $155/month in streaming subscriptions. They have no health care or they have subsidized health care. They are one $500 emergency away from a payday loan. They struggle with revolving debt.

They wonder why doctors bitch so much about being so poor.

I lived on roughly $18,000 per year in 2000 in what would be considered an intermediate COL area. Inflation calculators tell me that would be roughly $35,000 today. I had a roommate. I lived cheaply.
 
I lived on roughly $18,000 per year in 2000 in what would be considered an intermediate COL area. Inflation calculators tell me that would be roughly $35,000 today. I had a roommate. I lived cheaply.
That’s different. U had cash coming in. You were playin with house money so can leave any way you want.

It’s like me trolling Locums companies during negotiations. I have income already. Some locums needs the cash and can’t go with cash for long since they depend on the money.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That’s different. U had cash coming in. You were playin with house money so can leave any way you want.

It’s like me trolling Locums companies during negotiations. I have income already. Some locums needs the cash and can’t go with cash for long since they depend on the money.

I had $18,000 a year coming in. That was my gross pay that year. I had not yet enrolled in medical school. I probably lived on less since I didn't spend every dollar I had, some of it ended up in a savings account. I lived in a little 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate.
 
Last edited:
This forum has a massive perspective problem.

They have roommates and/or live in a LCOL area. They eat cheaply. They don't fly business class, or they don't fly at all. They drive an old car. They don't have nannies or a lawn service. They don't buy bitcoins or TSLA stock. They don't spend $155/month in streaming subscriptions. They have no health care or they have subsidized health care. They are one $500 emergency away from a payday loan. They struggle with revolving debt.

They wonder why doctors bitch so much about being so poor.
Exactly this. I survived on 12k/year in Hawaii of all places...before taxes
 
Last edited:
Well been doing the nanny interviews. Pretty much 45-50k/yr for 40 hours. It is going rate and people want to be paid cash only. not even sure how people do that without the bank getting all suspicious. MCOL area. The only positive is one person who is available we had a sibling use for many years and they also did some minor cooking and baby laundry as well and speaks the same native tongue so kinda lucky that they are known. Mentally sucks to see 50k down the drain but at least wife will be planning to go from 40 to 32 clinical hours after the leave.
Guaranteeing that your kids will be fluent in your native language is a huge advantage. Hire her.
 
So depressing to be poor.

Times are tough.
There are no easy answers

my kids like to say this “sucks to be you “ to many of those in the article. Ha ha

It’s true. A lot of is self inflicted. The old personal responsibility angle.

We live in a society where we can only help so many people. Some people become just a drain on society. Dead weight. Darwinism. Is that mean to say? Some say yes. Some say no.

It’s a heavy topic. Some say children don’t choose to be poor or their environment. But this comes back to Darwinism. My bff grew up in inner bad queens neighborhood (think south Jamaica). (not Trump’s rich queens neighborhood Jamaica estates). 1/3 of his high school males ended up in jail or on drugs he told me. He got out of the hood. So kids can get out. And be successful. It comes from within. The inner drive. His younger brother is a deadbeat unfortunately he tries to help out from time to time.
 
Guaranteeing that your kids will be fluent in your native language is a huge advantage. Hire her.

Thanks yes she gave a verbal yes just few details remaining so thats a win. I hear the nighmares my friends said about nannies being drug users etc... So I need to be thankful that i dont really need to vet someone who will likely be around for the next 4-5 years minimum.
 
Im a planner. I have asked a bunch of medicine colleagues how much they spend while they are living through the newborn phase at least newborn through age 5 with nanny costs and most of them dont know or say expect your expenses to be 50-100% extra from your no kids days. Im not going into the sports traveling or private school phase costs just the first 5 years before i send them to the excellent free schools near me.

Well my no kids phase has only crept up year after year. Currently close to 180k yearly expense but includes 16k yearly car payment that just got paid off (cheers). In 3 years the business car will be paid off so another 18k off the books. My run rate is closer to 165k till business car paid off but likely less traveling next year and for sure no international trips so i have been told naturally expenses will just move around and instead of travel for example will go toward baby related things so it sorta evens out.

165k x 50%-80% = 248k-300k ish Is this right. Seems kinda high??
To quote Jimmy Turner from Money Meets Medicine : "Personal finance is personal" It's not about how much you make or spend, it's about how much you keep. No one can tell you if those expenses are high or not. It depends on your priorities in life, when you want to retire/slow down, what you envision for your kid, etc.
 
Im a planner. I have asked a bunch of medicine colleagues how much they spend while they are living through the newborn phase at least newborn through age 5 with nanny costs and most of them dont know or say expect your expenses to be 50-100% extra from your no kids days. Im not going into the sports traveling or private school phase costs just the first 5 years before i send them to the excellent free schools near me.

Well my no kids phase has only crept up year after year. Currently close to 180k yearly expense but includes 16k yearly car payment that just got paid off (cheers). In 3 years the business car will be paid off so another 18k off the books. My run rate is closer to 165k till business car paid off but likely less traveling next year and for sure no international trips so i have been told naturally expenses will just move around and instead of travel for example will go toward baby related things so it sorta evens out.

165k x 50%-80% = 248k-300k ish Is this right. Seems kinda high??

It's high but if you can afford it and it works for your house hold income, go for it.

A kid/baby can be as expensive as you want to be honest.

I had my first in residency and my second in fellowship, so fairly limited income.

Clothes were from Walmart or Target since they grew so quickly. We weren't bothering with designer baby clothes, which are out there.

If we ate out, it was at places like the Cheesecake factory (13 years later, we still go to the Cheesecake factory with the kids→ can't stop, won't stop).

Wife stayed at home with the kids and managed that well, so no nanny.

But you should be fine.
 
I was told starting out that umbrella insurance just makes the plaintiffs greedier and seek more $ in court. It may not protect your assets at all if they just ask for more. Just like most malpractice awards awarded are to the limits of your policy.

The insurance may help offset the cost of an attorney.

I had an umbrella policy through GEICO but cancelled it because they kept jacking the rates even with no claims made. Also realized they had so many exclusions to the policy it was almost pointless to buy it. For example, they told me I had to exhaust my home, auto, malpractice coverages before I could use the umbrella protections.
I strenuously object (movie quote)

When a plaintiff attorney is deciding whether or not to file a suit, they’re gonna look at publicly available information like what homes do you owe cars? What is your job etc. etc.

Once a suit is filed, their goal is to extract as much money as possible, regardless of whether you have umbrella coverage or not. And yes, at that point they will become aware through discovery what your coverage is, but that will not increase their greed. Their greed is at max at baseline.

Having a robust umbrella policy astronomically increases the chances that the case can be settled in a satisfactory way to the plaintiff without digging into your personal assets and probably even more valuable; you will have a team of people taking care of this nightmare for you covering attorneys fees, etc., etc. with high coverage limits, they will be motivated to defend rigorously.
 
I strenuously object (movie quote)

When a plaintiff attorney is deciding whether or not to file a suit, they’re gonna look at publicly available information like what homes do you owe cars? What is your job etc. etc.

Once a suit is filed, their goal is to extract as much money as possible, regardless of whether you have umbrella coverage or not. And yes, at that point they will become aware through discovery what your coverage is, but that will not increase their greed. Their greed is at max at baseline.

Having a robust umbrella policy astronomically increases the chances that the case can be settled in a satisfactory way to the plaintiff without digging into your personal assets and probably even more valuable; you will have a team of people taking care of this nightmare for you covering attorneys fees, etc., etc. with high coverage limits, they will be motivated to defend rigorously.
And that’s why I think we need to extract social security payments from poor people who commit crimes or do civil damage

It’s gotta be a two way street if you get harmed by a poor person with no money.

And let the govt deal with it
 
If we ate out, it was at places like the Cheesecake factory (13 years later, we still go to the Cheesecake factory with the kids→ can't stop, won't stop).

Controversial take from a Bay Area food snob:

Cheesecake factory is amazing. I always sort of assumed that it was like Chili’s or Applebee’s, where everything was delivered packaged and frozen on the truck to be microwaved and slapped on a plate. I saw a business insider video on YouTube that completely changed my mind. They make something like 95% of all their food (ironically, not their cheesecakes) in house from actual fresh food. It is a feat of management, engineering, and desire to be able to get inexperienced cooks to be able to make such a crazy diversity of menu items essentially from scratch, but I was very impressed.
 
And that’s why I think we need to extract social security payments from poor people who commit crimes or do civil damage

It’s gotta be a two way street if you get harmed by a poor person with no money.

And let the govt deal with it
Not sure they would usually have anything to extract?
 
Controversial take from a Bay Area food snob:

Cheesecake factory is amazing. I always sort of assumed that it was like Chili’s or Applebee’s, where everything was delivered packaged and frozen on the truck to be microwaved and slapped on a plate. I saw a business insider video on YouTube that completely changed my mind. They make something like 95% of all their food (ironically, not their cheesecakes) in house from actual fresh food. It is a feat of management, engineering, and desire to be able to get inexperienced cooks to be able to make such a crazy diversity of menu items essentially from scratch, but I was very impressed.

I'm just there for the bread basket. Could eat the brown bread by the bucket full.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Controversial take from a Bay Area food snob:

Cheesecake factory is amazing. I always sort of assumed that it was like Chili’s or Applebee’s, where everything was delivered packaged and frozen on the truck to be microwaved and slapped on a plate. I saw a business insider video on YouTube that completely changed my mind. They make something like 95% of all their food (ironically, not their cheesecakes) in house from actual fresh food. It is a feat of management, engineering, and desire to be able to get inexperienced cooks to be able to make such a crazy diversity of menu items essentially from scratch, but I was very impressed.


Have you tried this place?

 
I strenuously object (movie quote)

When a plaintiff attorney is deciding whether or not to file a suit, they’re gonna look at publicly available information like what homes do you owe cars? What is your job etc. etc.

Once a suit is filed, their goal is to extract as much money as possible, regardless of whether you have umbrella coverage or not. And yes, at that point they will become aware through discovery what your coverage is, but that will not increase their greed. Their greed is at max at baseline.

Having a robust umbrella policy astronomically increases the chances that the case can be settled in a satisfactory way to the plaintiff without digging into your personal assets and probably even more valuable; you will have a team of people taking care of this nightmare for you covering attorneys fees, etc., etc. with high coverage limits, they will be motivated to defend rigorously.
Have you looked at the fine print on umbrella policies? They exclude many situations where they will not be responsible for covering you. Oh, you got sued for malpractice? Not our problem…call your malpractice carrier. Also when you have different insurance companies that overlap the same coverages, each company will try to weasel their way out of covering you. They will say it was the other insurer’s problem. An umbrella just adds to the confusion.

Plaintiff attys. will extract as much as they can from you, umbrella policy be damned. It doesn’t hurt them to ask for more and see what they can get. They will look at your umbrella coverage and add that to the award amount requested. I can’t find a case example where plaintiffs asked for less because you had umbrella coverage.