10th percentile and 90th percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leggo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, MSAR question. I just got the MSAR, and it has the 90th and 10th percentile for MD admissions. I was just wondering, is the 10th percentile the absolute bottom GPA, both cum and sci, that they will take? Or, is it possible to get into the medical school below the 10th percentile? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, MSAR question. I just got the MSAR, and it has the 90th and 10th percentile for MD admissions. I was just wondering, is the 10th percentile the absolute bottom GPA, both cum and sci, that they will take? Or, is it possible to get into the medical school below the 10th percentile? Thank you!

Does 10 = 0 ? Think about it.

hahaha guess not. ahhh, I think all these apps are frying my head and making me nervous. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
In case you are still scratching your head, OP:

10th percentile = 10% of matriculants/acceptances/whatever are below this value.

Hypothetical example: Harvard med school matriculant MCAT 10th%: 42.
This means that only 10% of the matriculants to Harvard med school scored below a 42.

It says nothing about the "rock bottom" or minimum range -- just gives you a ballpark for that bottom ten percent.

HTH

I think 10th and 90th are outliners in statistics. They are off the normal range so they are deemed "exceptions" (sorta) and so don't truly reflect the competitiveness of the schools.