12-13 Credit semesters: looked unfavorably?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurryPower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Because Junior year will be rough (DAT in early junior spring + applications), I plan on doing 12-13 credit semesters during my junior year. I was wondering if this will be looked unfavorably by dental schools, especially top-tier--> Harvard, columbia, penn, etc...

Fall: Biochem, Physiology, Cell Biology, Theology Class = 12 Credits

Spring: Ceramics I (My manual dexterity art class :)), Accounting I,
Latin II, Philo 1 = 13 Credits

Thank you. If schools like Columbia look at this unfavorably, I don't mind searching for an easy 3-credit class in the spring to make it 16, but I really need to utilize the fall to gear towards DAT prep.

Thanks for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Because Junior year will be rough (DAT in early junior spring + applications), I plan on doing 12-13 credit semesters during my junior year. I was wondering if this will be looked unfavorably by dental schools, especially top-tier--> Harvard, columbia, penn, etc...

Thank you. If schools like Columbia look at this unfavorably, I don't mind searching for an easy 3-credit class in the spring to make it 16, but I really need to utilize the fall to gear towards DAT prep.

Thanks for your advice.

I seriously doubt it. I had about 52 AP credits going into college and therefore I could afford to take fewer classes with more focus and concentration. Most of my semesters I had fewer than 15 credits, and I don't think people looked down on that. To me it's about the quality of the credits, not the bulk. Because I had my basics taken care of by AP, I was able to take a lot of higher level classes that were quite difficult. Doing well in fewer, advanced classes is definitely better than taking a lot of filler classes.

I dunno but I would maybe put one of those science classes from the fall to the spring to even things out more. Also it will be nice to review a science while you are studying for the DAT. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think dental schools would care much as long as you do well in those classes (especially your fall semester classes) :):D:cool:

Good luck!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your advice.

You may have to convince adcoms (say with a high DAT score) that you really needed the the low load, otherwise, if you cannot handle more than 12-13 hours/semester they may wonder how you will be able to handle 22+.

I have taken only an average of 13 credit hours per semester and was told by numerous individuals that the adcoms would look unfavorably on me because of this. However, I also worked 30 hours a week. Most of the admissions people I spoke with said their schools took this into consideration since I made sure to mention it in my personal statement. So, I think it depends on how you spin it to the adcoms.

I'm not so sure how adcoms would view the 12-13 credits per semester for your junior year, but please, for your own sanity and well-being, switch one of the science classes with one of the classes you are planning to take for the spring semester. I would recommend switching either cell bio or biochem out. Those two classes have a lot in common and I think you will benefit more by having a full year of that type of stuff than having one intense semester of glycolysis, proteins, membranes, etc. Just my opinion..:D

In my opinion, 12-13 credits of math and science is much more impressive then 16-18 credits of one science and the rest BS classes. Science and math classes take a lot of more effort and time then some 3 credit amcult class you tacked on just to get to 18 credits.

i don't think it would be taken unfavorably, when adcoms wonder why you take so little it could be a small factor in your acceptance. THe "i was studying for DAT" so that is why i took less units is not really a good reason too since a lot of people are doing that while taking more units. Dental school is going to be a lot tougher and time consuming as they take 20-22 units each quarter. My advice would be to take more units as long as you could maintain good grades. Maybe you could also take sciences instead of those nonscience classes that you have listed for your second semester unless they are requirements for y our major.

i don't think it would be taken unfavorably, when adcoms wonder why you take so little it could be a small factor in your acceptance. THe "i was studying for DAT" so that is why i took less units is not really a good reason too since a lot of people are doing that while taking more units. Dental school is going to be a lot tougher and time consuming as they take 20-22 units each quarter. My advice would be to take more units as long as you could maintain good grades. Maybe you could also take sciences instead of those nonscience classes that you have listed for your second semester unless they are requirements for y our major.

:laugh: That would be like a vacation at any dental school in the US

I took 13, 14, 13, 13, 13, 12, 12. Im now taking 14. I did take summer clases always, Graduating with exactly 120 credits. Besides all, I did not work my first 2 years at school. I doubt they care or otherwise I wouldnt have had 7 interviews. Just make sure to do good on each class and you should be fine.

i never really took more than 13-14 credits/semester and at times even dipped below 12. i still got into a couple of great d-schools. if you're going to lessen your courseload, i suggest you fill your free time with something productive rather than playing guitar hero.

jb!:)

I am going to graduate in 2.5years for an undergrad.

My school charges you for being a full time student and not on how many credits you take.

I take an average of 19credits per semester and have worked between 15-30hours per week. My GPA could be maybe .1-.2 higher had I not taken so many.

I think that even if you only took 13credits, but puller off a 4.0 or near it, you would be better off than taking 19credits and a 3.7.

I only did it that way cuz it was cheaper to go through taking massive credits and staying for summer semesters. I would have preferred taking it slower, learning the material a little better and having more time to really get better grades and focus.

I am going to graduate in 2.5years for an undergrad.

My school charges you for being a full time student and not on how many credits you take.

I take an average of 19credits per semester and have worked between 15-30hours per week. My GPA could be maybe .1-.2 higher had I not taken so many.

I think that even if you only took 13credits, but puller off a 4.0 or near it, you would be better off than taking 19credits and a 3.7.

I think 19 units with a 3.7 is a lot more impressive than a 4.0 with 13 units.

Depends if along with those 13 hours you are working and involved in school (ie-clubs, community service) It also depends what type of classes you carry. Having 19 hours and only two hard classes and all the rest fluff, then that is not as impressive as having 13 hours with all higher level classes. (Just my opinion). Bottom line, if you have a 3.7 or higher, you are doing well. Just be well rounded and not just a recluse that only has their GPA going for them.

Depends if along with those 13 hours you are working and involved in school (ie-clubs, community service) It also depends what type of classes you carry. Having 19 hours and only two hard classes and all the rest fluff, then that is not as impressive as having 13 hours with all higher level classes. (Just my opinion). Bottom line, if you have a 3.7 or higher, you are doing well. Just be well rounded and not just a recluse that only has their GPA going for them.

I agree. But everything being equal, a 3.7 with 19 units is much more impressive than a 4.0 with 13 units. There are even some schools that recommend that an applicant take at least 4-5 science classes per quarter/semester a couple of times. Bottom line, just do well.

Tell them you had a job. If they hate, let 'em hate.