12/14/2016 CS Exam Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychout222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only 2 days away guys. Does anyone else still have their testing permit visible?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Score not up yet

Looking through past topics, it seems that scores for AMGs did release at the same time. Especially since your permit didn't disappear, I'm guessing it will probably be next week. I'm in the same boat.

somebody should study whether CS score, particularly the CIS portion, has any bearing on AMG residency graduation rate, oral board pass rate, and patient satisfaction....I doubt it does

Members don't see this ad :)
somebody should study whether CS score, particularly the CIS portion, has any bearing on residency graduation rate, oral board pass rate, and patient satisfaction....I doubt it does

Would be impossible to do since the process is so ridiculously secretive and since they arbitrarily change the cutoffs every so often.

Passed! Asterisk in ICE and SEP, nothing borderline in CIS. AMG, Took mine on 9/26 in Los Angeles. Score up at 11 AM, got the email saying that it'd be up at 11 AM at 11:09 AM. Permit disappeared on sunday evening.
Good luck to those still waiting!

Most of us may be getting it back next week. No idea what their methods are.

I just called the nbme and they said that scores are only released at 11a on wednesdays and if you didn't receive it today you will probably get it next week.

Just for the record how many others are still waiting?

Dear SP, excuse me for not taking your CIS score seriously when you clearly seemed bitter about having to work an afternoon shift and looked pissed when I make you go slightly off script.

I just called the nbme and they said that scores are only released at 11a on wednesdays and if you didn't receive it today you will probably get it next week.

I'm waiting :(

Members don't see this ad :)

Me✋

There has to be more today

PASSED. AMG and took it in philly on 10/20. Asterisk in SEP, had one star touching borderline in CIS but higher performance in ICE

I can't even find any sources of anyone else having to wait another week in other threads..does anyone know what this means?
There are people in previous result threads who didn't get their score on the first Wednesday and passed. We just happen to have more people talking about not getting a score yet, compared to the other threads. It should only mean a longer wait with no relation to passing or failing. But it is tough to have to wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Took it on 10/25 in Houston. No scores up. A little bit nervous not going to lie.

There are people in previous result threads who didn't get their score on the first Wednesday and passed. We just happen to have more people talking about not getting a score yet, compared to the other threads. It should only mean a longer wait with no relation to passing or failing. But it is tough to have to wait.
Well the good news is that people in the future will be able to look at this thread and know not to worry, assuming we will all pass haha

Took mine in Chicago on 10/26. American IMG here. Second attempt. First attempt failed on ICE because I literally took the exam without ever practicing the patient note (big mistake). Now finally passed it with high performance on every thing. Thank Christ. Got my report at 6 am

Took mine in Chicago on 10/26. American IMG here. Second attempt. First attempt failed on ICE because I literally took the exam without ever practicing the patient note (big mistake). Now finally passed it with high performance on every thing. Thank Christ. Got my report at 6 am
Congratualtions! I received my email at 8 AM EST. I was a nervous wreck the whole time. It was a Re-take for me as well. I failed ICE thinking I had passed with flying colors too.

Passed, thank God. Asterix in ICE (very surprised by this but I worked hard, too) and in SEP, and high performance in CIS just like last time. Very pleased and thankful for everyone that helped me.

As promised, I will update my panic thread here, and begin working on a blog to assist students having trouble with the CS and confused about failing and how to improve.

Haha, the NBME graders seem to be slacking off for this reporting period. I was hoping that they'll try to get stuff graded ASAP so they would have less work closer to the holidays, but nope...

Guess there is no point in waiting for today. We pay so much money... They should delivery, not make us wait a full week

I'm sorry some of you guys have to wait. I know that awful feeling. Hang in there, it's only the first day of the reporting period. Wishing everyone the best.

PASSED !!!
IMG - Philadelphia - 1st try

So happy I don't have to re-do it

AMG, took CS 10/27 in ATL.

PASS. Did fine. Guys, I speak English really, really well (not sure I've gotten a perfect score on anything else in medical school ever).

For whatever it's worth (most likely nothing), my permit had disappeared as of Sunday.

AMG, took CS 10/27 in ATL.

PASS. Did fine. Guys, I speak English really, really well (not sure I've gotten a perfect score on anything else in medical school ever).

For whatever it's worth (most likely nothing), my permit had disappeared as of Sunday.
When did you receive your results
Still have nothing here!
(IMG by the way and took it in Philly 9/22)

Hi,

I am an IMG took my exam in Houston on September 28, haven't got my result back yet. I am worried, anyone in the same situation??

Looks like they're just slower with the grading this year (or for some reason more of us are on SDN). It seems very, very unlikely that all of us did badly. It sucks, but hopefully we'll hear back next week.

Looks like they're just slower with the grading this year (or for some reason more of us are on SDN). It seems very, very unlikely that all of us did badly. It sucks, but hopefully we'll hear back next week.
Well for what its worth, everyone I saw that posted they failed got it back on the first day of the period.

QF_Score_and_Score_Reporting.pdf

IMG
Passed first attempt thank you God!
Took exam on Nov. 1st
Received scores at 7:50 AM ET

Wishing everyone all the best!

AMG that sat for this exam in Chicago on 10/11. Results were posted yesterday and I am thankful to be counted among the "PASSED" group. I did not heed the advice of many and merely "glanced at FA for CS" only briefly before taking the exam, and I regretted this decision each anxiety-provoking moment I waited to hear back from the NBME. Just read the 100 cases, practice writing the notes you want to write, and at least mentally go through a few cases. While I have not experienced a failure with Step examinations, I can tell you I sweat bullets with this one. Of course, this all feels so much better now in retrospect and the temptation that many succumb to is to say "just speak english and wash your hands". It is "probably" more difficult than that, why take the chance?

If you're reading this while waiting still, my anecdotal experience was that doing things like: having entire blank sections of a patient note (ROS, OBGYN Hx, etc.) due to time constraint, forgetting to wash hands until after beginning the PE (twice, oops), missing two diagnoses of twelve (one was on my differential, one was not), running out of time and thus missing the chance to order SEVERAL critical dianostic studies/lab tests, and forgetting to do PE maneuvers that would have been helpful to make the diagnosis (neuro exam reflex testing, CN8, and there are more......) all still came out okay. I landed a "higher" performance with a single asterisk in CIS and English Proficiency, and dead center b/w higher and borderline, with nothing touching the borderline section, for ICE.

Do yourself a favor and study a little (give it a day or at least an afternoon). Save yourself 8 weeks of torture or worse with a failure. For those who are still waiting, I know your pain and wish you the best!

Last edited:
Word to the wise, DON'T MISS CLOSURES!!! AMG (I'm sure I did all the empathetic stuff fine) and totally missed two closures because I didn't manage my time well and came dangerously close to failing CIS (some stars in the lower performance section). Make sure you manage your time well and skimp on the PE if you need to in order to do the closure.

Did anybody fail or know anybody who failed and got scores back this past week?

Did anybody fail or know anybody who failed and got scores back this past week?
If it makes you feel any better, people on other forums posted that they failed on the first day. And I don't see them delaying a week because of a low score-all they have to do is add up numbers (which is probably done via computer) because they state that they only confirm that the math was correct if you decide to do a recheck.

In other words, in all of my stress of anticipating these scores, I have found 0 evidence suggesting that a delay=greater chance of failure compared to receiving scores on day 1 of the reporting period.

Hi guys,

IMG here, took exam on Sep 28 and didn't get the result last week, my CS eligibility period expired on Nov 9.

When I try to create a new CS exam application, its allowing me to do it. Does it mean I failed??

I tried to create a new step 1 application and it says our computer records indicate you have passed this step component.

I am terrified. Is it allowing me to create a new application since my eligibility period expired or since I failed??

Any past experiences of ppl who ended up passing even after being allowed to create a new application, does it imply anything?

Look forward to anyone replying, I am very worried.

Hi guys,

IMG here, took exam on Sep 28 and didn't get the result last week, my CS eligibility period expired on Nov 9.

When I try to create a new CS exam application, its allowing me to do it. Does it mean I failed??

I tried to create a new step 1 application and it says our computer records indicate you have passed this step component.

I am terrified. Is it allowing me to create a new application since my eligibility period expired or since I failed??

Any past experiences of ppl who ended up passing even after being allowed to create a new application, does it imply anything?

Look forward to anyone replying, I am very worried.

No need to worry. The message you're getting is because you don't have a result in the system yet. You can't create a new testing permit until the results come in. Otherwise, there would be tons of people signing up for slots who end up passing.

As of now, you haven't failed, but you don't know if you passed. Unfortunately, we're all stuck here waiting for now.