12 Types of Medical Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahahaha hilarious

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh: :laugh:
I'm posting this in the Lounge if you dont mind.

No problem, I just wanted to share it b/c I thought it was hilarious.

bnichols0330 said:
No problem, I just wanted to share it b/c I thought it was hilarious.

That's pretty funny. I think I'm perpetually enraged. :laugh:

"Chicken has bones, so yes.." :laugh:

Anyone have a single page version of this or can anyone condense it to one page? Just curious.

I think im a mix of a couple of them hehe :)
They missed the hardcore slackers tho'

How about the missing prankster?

Members don't see this ad :)
stinkycheese said:
This is property of Michelle Au. You shouldn't hand out the comics without her permission. They are for sale on her website,
http://theunderweardrawer.homestead.com/scutmonkey.html

Usually I don't make it a habit of copyright infringement, but if you actually take the time to go to Michelle's site (which you obviously have not recently), you will see that the book is currently sold out. If anything, by making SINGLE printout and showing it to my friends in med school, I've increased awareness of the Scutmonkey comic and thus her potential sales (assuming she ever gets more in stock).

-wolferman

P.S. I removed the link from my site to pacify stinkycheese, but also because it was using up all my free bandwidth. Buy the book. It's funny.

wolferman said:
Usually I don't make it a habit of copyright infringement, but if you actually take the time to go to Michelle's site (which you obviously have not recently), you will see that the book is currently sold out. If anything, by making SINGLE printout and showing it to my friends in med school, I've increased awareness of the Scutmonkey comic and thus her potential sales (assuming she ever gets more in stock).

-wolferman

P.S. I removed the link from my site to pacify stinkycheese, but also because it was using up all my free bandwidth. Buy the book. It's funny.

Actually, I visit her site quite often, and am fully aware that the comic BOOK is sold out, but she has many items about the 12 med students for sale. And also, the last time I checked, copyrights don't just go away when something is sold out. I am sure Michelle appreciates the exposure, so no, it's not a big deal, but I just want people to be aware that she sells these comics and that it's not really appropriate to pass them out for free.

No need to get huffy, dude.

stinkycheese said:
And also, the last time I checked, copyrights don't just go away when something is sold out.

True, copyrights don't go away when something is sold out, however, Chapter 1, section 107 of the US Copyright Law of the United States details the limitations on exclusive rights, namely "Fair use". Printing a single copy, as I did, for the purposes of "comment" and/or "criticism" does not constitute an infringement of copyright. One might even argue that because I showed classmates the comic in our lecture hall during regular school hours that the viewing could constitute "scholarship" and "research" (research into what types of medical students we might develop into during our educational process). ;)

-wolferman

stinkycheese said:
This is property of Michelle Au. You shouldn't hand out the comics without her permission. They are for sale on her website

And now many mp3s did people here download last year? :rolleyes:

I'm not interested in arguing about mp3's or anything else, nor am I a fan of the argument, "it doesn't matter because it happens all the time", my only interest in this thread is to point out that this is property of Michelle Au and that should be respected. Bitch and moan all you want about copyright law; I could care less. I'm not on some copyright crusade. I am concerned about Michelle getting appropriate credit/payment for her work. END OF STORY.

You are somewhat uptight and you haven't even started medical school yet... Move on.... You have expressed your concerns and leave it at that. There are greater issues to worry about than some cheap comic strip.

stinkycheese said:
I'm not interested in arguing about mp3's or anything else, nor am I a fan of the argument, "it doesn't matter because it happens all the time", my only interest in this thread is to point out that this is property of Michelle Au and that should be respected. Bitch and moan all you want about copyright law; I could care less. I'm not on some copyright crusade. I am concerned about Michelle getting appropriate credit/payment for her work. END OF STORY.

i think we know what category to put stinkcheese in

stinkycheese said:

I think we should all applaud stinkycheese for her efforts to protect the integrity of Michelle's work. :clap: It's very noble of her. Especially since she's not getting any of the profits...or is she? ;) If she's this intense advocating for a comic strip, just imagine how she'll be with her patients.

I could see stinkycheese yelling at physicians who are making copies of journal articles in the library rather than getting a subscription...

What ticks me off is that people were having fun with this forum and it was quite entertaining, and stinkycheese came in and messed it up... If I wanted to listen to copyright and patent infringements I would have gone to law school.

Tallguy said:
I could see stinkycheese yelling at physicians who are making copies of journal articles in the library rather than getting a subscription...
:laugh: Wow, you're a nutcase. As I have already stated, I don't really give a **** about copyright law. What I care about is that Michelle get the proper recognition for her work.

What ticks me off is that people were having fun with this forum and it was quite entertaining, and stinkycheese came in and messed it up... If I wanted to listen to copyright and patent infringements I would have gone to law school.

Oh, go cry in a corner. All I said was that this was Michelle's work. You *****s turned it into a huge debate.

Get a life! It's a stupid internet forum. I'm sorry you're so pissed off at me, but... I really don't care.

ROFL, I'm gonna start categorizing everyone in my class by this.

Some points I think need to be made:

1) Given that the comic is accessible to all for free via the website, it's not really clear that reproducing it to show people is a "copyright infringement." Meaning, there's no real difference between showing people it on paper and taking them to your computer and showing it to them on your screen.

2) I think a lot of people are hazy on copyright law. Like, you can't just SAY "copyright 2005" to make something copyrighted. People do that a lot on the Internet, but there's an actual process.

3) Justifying OR negating an action based on an unrelated action is flawed logic. Meaning, to justify violating copyright laws for one thing by bringing up MP3s is weak logic -- that doesn't mean BOTH are OK, it means BOTH are wrong. Moreover, to say that since one person breaks one law, they must allow people to break all other laws is equally weak logic. It may remove their moral high ground, so to speak, but does not invalidate their point if their point is valid.

4) Saying "we have more important things to worry about" is weak, too. If you can so easily discount someone who worries about a law being broken, then your values are questionable. That's the rationalization of someone who is breaking the law. "Oh, so I'm stealing ...don't you have some murderers to catch, Mr. Tough Guy Cop?" Whatever.

I'd like to change my classification of stinkycheese from The Sensitive Soul to The Perpetually Enraged. Final answer Regis.

She is getting plenty of recognition, her name is on the comic strip... no one removed her name... You don't want her to get recognition for her work, instead you want her to get compensation. If all you stated was that this was Michelle's work...thanks for pointing out the obvious. What's next? Are you going to tell us what city the University of Miami is in? I may be a nutcase but u are still uptight. Go back to the pre-allo forum where you belong... You can post here when you have actually started medical school :) .

stinkycheese said:
:laugh: Wow, you're a nutcase. As I have already stated, I don't really give a **** about copyright law. What I care about is that Michelle get the proper recognition for her work.

Oh, go cry in a corner. All I said was that this was Michelle's work. You *****s turned it into a huge debate.

Get a life! It's a stupid internet forum. I'm sorry you're so pissed off at me, but... I really don't care.

Tallguy said:
Go back to the pre-allo forum where you belong... You can post here when you have actually started medical school :) .

That's the sign of stupidity, when you have to say "I'm in medical school, so that makes me better than you." It's not like this is an allopathic issue. :rolleyes:

Those pictures are available for free on her website for everyone to view, download, print, and cuddle with at night. I highly doubt Michelle Au uploaded them for profit, nor that she made ALL of her book available, meaning someone who wants to read more of her comics can always buy the comic book.

I'm a pre-allo by the way, and I have every right to read and post at the allo forum, unless the moderator tells me otherwise.

Whatever you say.... I never claimed to be better than anyone... Everyone in here can be smarter than me for all i care, including stinkycheese. However...there is a reason for the categories on SDN... Or else the webmaster would just make one huge forum. Why do u think they have the statement "MD student topics. For current medical students"...

I love how you hear what you want to hear. :) If you ask anyone who knows me, I don't claim to be better than anyone...

kinetic said:
That's the sign of stupidity, when you have to say "I'm in medical school, so that makes me better than you." It's not like this is an allopathic issue. :rolleyes:

kinetic said:
3) Justifying OR negating an action based on an unrelated action is flawed logic. Meaning, to justify violating copyright laws for one thing by bringing up MP3s is weak logic -- that doesn't mean BOTH are OK, it means BOTH are wrong. Moreover, to say that since one person breaks one law, they must allow people to break all other laws is equally weak logic. It may remove their moral high ground, so to speak, but does not invalidate their point if their point is valid.

Total misinterpretation of the comment. It was not to say "because everyone does A, that means B is ok" it was, rather, to bring up the fact a lot of people who are going to harp about copyright infringment are the same people who are running limewire in the background. More of a "glass houses and stones" comment than a syllogistic comment.

That, and it was just to lighten the mood up a little bit.

kinetic said:

kinetic,
Sign of stupidity: Using quotes on a statement that was never stated in the first place.

osjx-82, I used to cuddle up with her comics every night. That was until I started waking up with paper cuts on my genitals.

Actually, total sign of stupidity is citing that you're in medical school for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. Then, running away from the issue and pretending that the comment meant nothing whatsoever. OMG! I just wanted to throw that out there! :laugh:

kinetic said:
Actually, total sign of stupidity is citing that you're in medical school for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. Then, running away from the issue and pretending that the comment meant nothing whatsoever. OMG! I just wanted to throw that out there! :laugh:

It is an allopathic forum on the "student doctor network" website... I would see your point if this was the "for everyone network", but IT IS NOT.... See...we can all emphasize words by using uppercase. You should be a psychiatrist since you can quote people for things they have not stated. My comment followed the exact criteria developed by SDN as to who this forum is geared towards...LOOK UNDER ALLOPATHIC... P.S. I still don't think i am better than u or anyone else. :)

Wow, keen sense of analysis: it's in the Allopathic forum, so even though it's not an allopathic issue, I think I'll mention the fact that I'm in medical school. That's about as relevant as going to the grocery store and saying, "I'd get those oranges because they're fresh ...I'm in medical school, so I'd know!" Which you probably do.

kinetic said:
Wow, keen sense of analysis: it's in the Allopathic forum, so even though it's not an allopathic issue, I think I'll mention the fact that I'm in medical school. That's about as relevant as going to the grocery store and saying, "I'd get those oranges because they're fresh ...I'm in medical school, so I'd know!" Which you probably do.

Sure it is an allopathic forum issue...It is a comic strip that describes medical students...not a copyright forum... who else would understand medical student personality types better than "current" medical students. It may appear that this is not an allopathic issue due to stinkycheese altering the discussion. So...stinkycheese had no business posting here in the first place...not due to certain people being better than others...but the criteria established by SDN....she could have sent a pm to the one she claimed was performing a copyright infringement.

If this was an allopathic issue, then this would be a discussion about the validity of the portrayals. Since it's NOT and you participated in the copyright discussion, your point is without merit. It's a nice try.

Kinetic...i don't agree with your statement about the grocery store...that is apples and "oranges"...i just had to :laugh:

I was trying to end the copyright discussion and read about accuracy of portrayals..which this topic started off as...nice try

kinetic said:
If this was an allopathic issue, then this would be a discussion about the validity of the portrayals. Since it's NOT and you participated in the copyright discussion, your point is without merit. It's a nice try.

...changing the subject back to what the OP might've had in mind when choosing to discuss this comic...

I think we should add "The Ever-present Ghost" medical student. This is the student that you see everyday in class; you might even know his/her name, but that's it. The person never comes to any social events, starts a conversation, or gives any hint to the fact that they have a life outside medical school. The only thing you know about them is that they are in your class.

The other student I'd add would be "The Chronically Bad Test Taker". This is the student who can answer just about any question you pose to them verbally, but somehow can't manage to score well on any exam (especially multiple choice). Most likely they are over thinking every question or they are too busy thinking up ingenious questions of their own during the exam and can't concentrate on the ones in front of them.

kinetic said:
2) I think a lot of people are hazy on copyright law. Like, you can't just SAY "copyright 2005" to make something copyrighted. People do that a lot on the Internet, but there's an actual process.

Not true. There is a process if you want to get it posted in the Library of Congress. However, anything you write that is longer than 150 words (I think that's the length) may be considered under copyright if it is (1) original, (2) fixed (as in written or recorded), and (3) contains a "modicum of creativity." Therefore, stuff you read on the Internet is protected by copyright by default unless the author grants a less restrictive license such as GNU, Creative Commons, public domain, etc.

What about the "Nervous One"? -

"Holy Mother of God....I am supposed to do WHAT to WHOM HOW???"
"Um, you just have to greet him...."

wolferman said:
...changing the subject back to what the OP might've had in mind when choosing to discuss this comic...

I think we should add "The Ever-present Ghost" medical student. This is the student that you see everyday in class; you might even know his/her name, but that's it. The person never comes to any social events, starts a conversation, or gives any hint to the fact that they have a life outside medical school. The only thing you know about them is that they are in your class.

The other student I'd add would be "The Chronically Bad Test Taker". This is the student who can answer just about any question you pose to them verbally, but somehow can't manage to score well on any exam (especially multiple choice). Most likely they are over thinking every question or they are too busy thinking up ingenious questions of their own during the exam and can't concentrate on the ones in front of them.
So true on both, especially number 2.

:laugh: hilarious

you all should check out the strips about Michelle's surgery and obgyn rotation as well :thumbup: :love:

Wow, this has turned into a whole beast of a discussion. Listen peeps, my original intention was to get people to recognize that Michelle sells these comics and would rather have people buying them than printing them out. That's all. I am sorry this has turned into such an ugly discussion and that people have found it necessary to mudsling.

On the "who can post in here" question, well, I'm no longer a pre-med, but not yet a med student. This forum is often frequented by MS0's and I am one of them. Since this conversation has nothing to do with medicine, but rather with copyrights, I see no reason why I am unqualified to post based on the fact that I haven't started medical school yet. If you want to take it up with a moderator, go right ahead. I'll win :)

I am vacating this thread at this point. Have fun ripping each other apart, guys.

I could not stop laughing at the ortho

Anyone familiar with "The Over-Prepared" medical student? This is the person that attempts to memorize every little detail in every course, whether or not it was covered in the course or will ever prove clinically relevant in their lifetime. These are the people that have never heard the phrase "big picture". For example, they memorize obscure transcription factors that only PhD students doing molecular biology research would care about. Or they review historical facts concerning the subject matter, as if knowing that Penicillin was discovered in 1928 is going to save a life one day in the ER. It's like they are cramming for the med school version of Jeopardy. "I'll take Obscure Medical Discoveries for $800 Alex."

I have to side with Tall Guy on this one....kinetic just seems a little too eager to prove his/her intellectual worth (better not mess with kinetics intelligence, you might be beaten to chop suey and cry). Also, did any of you guys notice that Stinkycheese has to mention Michelles name in every single post? My current theory.... Stinkycheese= Kinetic = Michelles b*(ch

As much fun as this post was.....Im off to find a more entertaining one

kerouac170 said:
I have to side with Tall Guy on this one....kinetic just seems a little too eager to prove his/her intellectual worth (better not mess with kinetics intelligence, you might be beaten to chop suey and cry). Also, did any of you guys notice that Stinkycheese has to mention Michelles name in every single post? My current theory.... Stinkycheese= Kinetic = Michelles b*(ch

As much fun as this post was.....Im off to find a more entertaining one

Wow, so in other words, you're darting in to make your point and running off like a girl so that you don't get pummeled. Good one! By the way, if you weren't a complete *****, you'd see that I'm not siding with Michelle. Of course, that's asking a lot from a guy who doesn't know how to use apostrophes.