?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatsupdoc442

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be fine, just change your twitter name to something random before people start screenshotting it (in case it goes to buzzfeed or w/e)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I seriously don't understand why people post stupid/incriminating stuff on social media.

Relax, OP. You are overreacting. You didn't post anything incriminating or damning. Just be careful in the future with what you post on social media. (That's advice I'd give to every premed.) If this post is getting more attention than you'd like, you can always delete it or deactivate your account and create a new one. Obviously, that won't stop screenshots or retweets of it that may already be circulating but it may give you some peace of mind and allow you to relax. Right now you're letting paranoia get the better of you. You're fine!

Sorry but I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate your tags. Classy.

Your post was calling out people on their racial stereotypes....One of the reasons URMs are valuable to med schools is that they can help students recognize their biases. You did not say anything malicious. From what you described, even if the adcoms saw the post (which is highly unlikely), they won't really care. Don't worry

(the #confusewhitepeopleparty is borderline douchy rather than just having a hashtag about demystifying black stereotypes or something like that, but it is obvious that it is being used in a tongue-in-cheek way)

Last edited:
I haven't deleted it because at this point it would be seen regardless, but please be honest.

You're this worried about your tweet...but you haven't deleted it yet under the assumption that everyone has already seen it? Bad assumption. Delete it, move on with your life, and make better decisions on social media (AKA make your accounts private).

Just another one for Gonnif's list.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks everyone. Yes I was really worried and yeah it circulated by now but I think I'm just going to delete it. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

You're COMPLETELY FINE. I would for one start by deleting your original post before anyone quotes it because all your doing is further perpetuating the fame of the meme. If I wasn't so busy and curious, I may go web-searching for the meme and if I found it and thought it was something, I might share it...

Also, keep your head down when it comes to race. Nothing good ever comes out of it. The way medicine seems to work is that the medical field kind of has a general opinion on what's right and wrong. Now, the only thing most people care about while entering is entering a fulfilling career so they suppress their views even if they're racist, phobic, sexist, etc. When they're attendings though, they'll believe whatever they want so any mention of such a topic is polarizing.

Last edited:
keep your head down when it comes to race
Thank you for replying, and you're right, high tension topics are a no-no. I won't "keep my head down" per ce because some issues regarding black people (not the one I posted) are just too important to ignore. But I'm staying away from inflammatory responses that could cost me big time. Thanks.

Let me make sure I understand this correctly. So you fear your tweet spreading, so you decided to inform SDN about said tweet, a forum where some admins do browse, and tell everyone your age, ethnic subgroup, and gender?

I see.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let me make sure I understand this correctly. So you fear your tweet spreading, so you decided to inform SDN about said tweet, a forum where some admins do browse, and tell everyone your age, ethnic subgroup, and gender?

I see.
Yes because I felt it was important. And it was already discussed that, while irresponsible, the tweet was not inflammatory or malicious, at least not with that intent. The age, nationality, etc, I believe I could have given away a lot more information (address, name, school). The tweet's gone, names changed, page privatized, and the overall situation is dealt with. And if somehow adcoms do see it, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, and calmly explain I was in the wrong and I will take it from there.

I would like to take a second to admit this may have been insensitive/paternalistic and apologize:

"Also, keep your head down when it comes to race. Nothing good ever comes out of it. The way medicine seems to work is that the medical field kind of has a general opinion on what's right and wrong. Now, the only thing most people care about while entering is entering a fulfilling career so they suppress their views even if they're racist, phobic, sexist, etc. When they're attendings though, they'll believe whatever they want so any mention of controversial topics is not a great thing."

I was speaking in a more "real-with-you" tone because you can not deny the reality that racism is still alive and strong and if I were a parent and had an African American child, that's probably what I'd tell my child to do. However, I see that you care passionately about the discrimination that's going on so I want to take back what I said there and say that if you care about those things, speak your voice.

You may have to beg the Caribbean to let you in.

Not really...you're fine.

Yes because I felt it was important. And it was already discussed that, while irresponsible, the tweet was not inflammatory or malicious, at least not with that intent. The age, nationality, etc, I believe I could have given away a lot more information (address, name, school). The tweet's gone, names changed, page privatized, and the overall situation is dealt with. And if somehow adcoms do see it, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, and calmly explain I was in the wrong and I will take it from there.

You completely missed the point which was that a key principle to keeping secrets secret, is not to actually reveal it...

Oh I thought you were talking about something else, my bad. The tweet has already spread, and in the future, in the event that an adcom does see it, and I don't think they wouldn't have had I not posted this to be honest, I want them to know the tweet wasn't in spite of anyone... I know adcoms read this, but I have to see someone else's perspective. My tweet is out there, even though it was deleted, it's out there. I understand what you're saying, but with the history of searching people's social media whatever they find, I want to be able explain myself. I don't know if I confused you more with this and I apologize if I did.

Oh I thought you were talking about something else, my bad. The tweet has already spread, and in the future, in the event that an adcom does see it, and I don't think they wouldn't have had I not posted this to be honest, I want them to know the tweet wasn't in spite of anyone... I know adcoms read this, but I have to see someone else's perspective. My tweet is out there, even though it was deleted, it's out there. I understand what you're saying, but with the history of searching people's social media whatever they find, I want to be able explain myself. I don't know if I confused you more with this and I apologize if I did.

Seriously, I want you to try something for me. Type your name+Twitter into google. Look at the literal thousands of posts and accounts. Do you really think an adcom is going to sit down and go through every single account until they find yours? No. If the did that with everyone they would spend days going through just social media. If it bothers you that much change the email associated with the account or delete it. It's just social media, It isn't that important anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Seriously, I want you to try something for me. Type your name+Twitter into google. Look at the literal thousands of posts and accounts. Do you really think an adcom is going to sit down and go through every single account until they find yours? No. If the did that with everyone they would spend days going through just social media. If it bothers you that much change the email associated with the account or delete it. It's just social media, It isn't that important anyways.

Hence my point is that honestly, no one would have known or care until OP brought it to light.

Hence my point is that honestly, no one would have known or care until OP brought it to light.
Fair enough. Regardless, it's there. And this thread is here. But the input is appreciated either way.

Last edited:
Literally no one is going to care at all about a tweet you made.

Nobody cares about twitter. It's just another company that makes money off of social media addiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.