***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenextcarnegie

D.D.S. Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A tad early but thought it would help to start it regardless. If you have any questions I am a rising D1, along with @SweetMelonPreDent. Not sure if there are any active D2's to D4's. However, we are more than happy to help you guys with any questions and offer any advice on the upcoming cycle (since we once were in your shoes).

With that in mind, best of luck to everyone applying!!! You guys will do great.

A few important links:

DDS Program: DDS Program

About the school: About

Further offerings: Admissions/Academic Programs

Last year's thread: ***The Official NYU College of Dentistry C/O 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Link to interview prep: New York University College of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
this is completely random, but i feel like i should post this.

i graduated within the past year (2017), went straight to work, make a solid salary (120kish) and i took out almost all of expenses in loans. i'm making roughly a little over 4k a month in payments. don't go here, it's not worth it. unless you know someone in the dental field you will likely be working at a corporate office being worked a lot.

Reactions: 7 users
this is completely random, but i feel like i should post this.

i graduated within the past year (2017), went straight to work, make a solid salary (120kish) and i took out almost all of expenses in loans. i'm making roughly a little over 4k a month in payments. don't go here, it's not worth it. unless you know someone in the dental field you will likely be working at a corporate office being worked a lot.

I agree with you if you can go to a cheaper school, go for it! I don't expect to be working easy at all upon graduation (probably 6 days a week or even full weeks). However, a few of us that other schools didn't really give a shot, this is a dream for us and we are willing to work hard! You have to be very smart financially going into and out of dental school in general but going to NYU it's best to have a good financial exit strategy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you if you can go to a cheaper school, go for it! I don't expect to be working easy at all upon graduation (probably 6 days a week or even full weeks). However, a few of us that other schools didn't really give a shot, this is a dream for us and we are willing to work hard! You have to be very smart financially going into and out of dental school in general but going to NYU it's best to have a good financial exit strategy.

i totally understand where you're coming from, i was there.
you'll hear things like ''oh you can pay it off in 6-7 years, no problem'', wrong. very wrong. working hard? i produced the highest in my clinic and didn't do a residency just to start making $$ towards my loan payment. i'm confident in my skills, i work 6 days a week between corporate and private prac (part time). it's just not worth it. i hate to tell ya straight up.

how much is the title of ''doctor'' really worth it to you? i'll be honest, 99% of the time i forget just because of how much i work trying to justify my degree

Reactions: 4 users
you'll hear things like ''oh you can pay it off in 6-7 years, no problem'', wrong. very wrong. working hard? i produced the highest in my clinic and didn't do a residency just to start making $$ towards my loan payment. i'm confident in my skills, i work 6 days a week between corporate and private prac (part time). it's just not worth it. i hate to tell ya straight up.

Yeah, I am sure you are correct. I don't doubt your advice at all. 550k worth of debt will not go away in 6 to 7 years, realistically even after refinancing it will take at least 15-20 years. That's life though. As Gary Vee says: "eat **** for a few years to eventually eat caviar for the rest of your life." You just have to do your best and live as frugally as possible. Like I mentioned earlier, if you get no other offers and NYU is your only option go here, BUT again be very financially smart. If your parents or guardians can help pay for some of your living expenses (interest-free/then pay them back) and cut down on your debt definitely maximize that opportunity.

Also, I would like to add there are schools just like this that are just as expensive Upenn, USC, Midwestern, etc. There are successful dentists out there managing these same type of loans. My mentor went to NYU and he's doing great 15 years out. It just takes time. Patience is the name of the game.

Last edited:

how much is the title of ''doctor'' really worth it to you? i'll be honest, 99% of the time i forget just because of how much i work trying to justify my degree
Can’t u just file bankruptcy

Reactions: 1 user
I received an email saying my app was under review today

how long did it take for your application fee thing to be cleared out after paying on the portal

Reactions: 1 users
From what I recall it was like 1 week? I think it depends on when you esubmit!

What does it mean when the admissions team says: 'We do not review applications in the order in which they are received.' How do they review then? Are files chosen at random?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does it mean when the admissions team says: 'We do not review applications in the order in which they are received.' How do they review then? Are files chosen at random?

I used to get the same message too. I think they collect a few of them and then review them on certain days once the committee meets. At least that's what I would like to think.

Reactions: 2 users
When I pasted my secondary on AADSAS, the generated PDF file doesn't show my essay as the original format with different paragraphs and everything is in one huge paragraph. Does anyone know how to fix that problem?

Edit: Lol the admission office just told me that if there's nothing I can do then I can just submit it like that and not to worry about it

Last edited:
They generally don't update statuses on the AADSAS portal. Ours last years changed to none as well. The school will either directly email you or contact you via a portal I believe

anyone who needs help with interview process lmk!

Does anyone know how many pre-December interview is left?

I feel like they won’t sent them out until late this month like they did last year :(. Just another week or two, but the wait is killing me!

Interview Invite sent out today! Scheduled for 10/19 OOS CA Resident

Last edited:
Received an invitation for an interview today! Going to schedule for either 10/12 or 10/19.
NC Resident
DAT (PAT/TS/AA): 23/20/21
Undergrad GPA: 3.2
Master's GPA: 3.78

Received an invitation for an interview today! Going to schedule for either 10/12 or 10/19.
NC Resident
Congrats!!!!

Do you think all of the invitations went out today? I’m extremely disappointed as I thought I had a good chance at NYU.

Anyone from CA get an invite yet? :(

Do you think all of the invitations went out today? I’m extremely disappointed as I thought I had a good chance at NYU.

Chill! I haven't seen a single school that sends all of its invitations in one day

Chill! I haven't seen a single school that sends all of its invitations in one day

I think he’s asking if the first batch of invites are all out for today (or if there will be more later in the day). It seems kind of weird that only two people on SDN posted about it. Either people really are posting on SDN less or they invited less people in this first batch compared to previous years. I think it’s probably the former.

Reactions: 4 users
Can anyone who got an interview today please tell when they got the "application complete/under review" email?

Does anyone else have None listed in their aadsas?

NC Resident
Congrats!! I am also a NC resident.
When did you submit your primary and secondary app to NYU?

Interview #1
School:
NYU
Notification Date: 09/12/18
Method of notification: email
Residency: NJ
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/6
Application complete date: 8/6
GPA (science, overall, masters): 3.2, 3.3, 3.78
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17):
23/23/24/23/none under 19

Congrats!!!!
Thank you!

Congrats!! I am also a NC resident.
When did you submit your primary and secondary app to NYU?

I submitted my AADSAS application and it was fully complete on 8/21 (late, I know). I do not think they sent out all interviews today. When I went to sign up for the interview on the portal, there were only October dates available so it seems as if they haven't even opened any of the others at this point. I'm sure you will hear something soon!

Awesome guys! Glad to hear people are getting interview invites. Let me know if you have any questions either here or via PM.

Awesome guys! Glad to hear people are getting interview invites. Let me know if you have any questions either here or via PM.

How is clinical broken up? With a class so large, how do they make sure each students get enough exposure and procedures?

How is clinical broken up? With a class so large, how do they make sure each students get enough exposure and procedures?

Since I am not there yet I cannot give you an accurate picture. However, from what I have seen, heard, and been told we have a lot of chairs. And each floor gets patients split amongst them (not evenly though). So the lower the floor you get the more patients you get (floors 2-5 are for GD), the higher you go you will have to find some patients (unfortunately). You get enough experience through earning CE's and each student has to meet 'X' standard to graduate. Also, it depends on your GPD (group practice director) and how he/she runs their floor. You end up being competent, but if you want further exposure and procedures that will be on your own. Which should be expected since it is a larger program.

When NYU trolls you by sending an open house email that has a subject line that starts with “You’re Invited!” :bang:

Reactions: 34 users
Does anyone know when next batch of invites are coming or how far booked they are?

Reactions: 5 users
looking for advice, If I applied early this cycle but am retaking my DAT mid October am I totally screwed?

looking for advice, If I applied early this cycle but am retaking my DAT mid October am I totally screwed?
Same here, it's gonna take at least another 2 weeks to get app complete and sent to review

Status
Not open for further replies.