This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamlostinlife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your DAT is awesome..... awesome. Your GPA is really good and your EC are very good as well, but I don't know about your chances; best of luck; You can do it :highfive:

Definitely make sure you have three academic LORs for Rutgers at least. My application was late because I didn’t realize they had a different standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bother with UConn and Tufts, maybe not UoP either because they don't seem to accept Canadians either.

Stats look good though, I'm confident you will get several interviews

I’ve got the exact same GPAs and lower dat and already have quite a few (I’m Canadian too!). You should be good!

Hey, thanks for the encouraging comment! Could I ask you which schools you applied to/heard back from?

iamlostinlife & other Canadians:
In general Canadians should apply only to these schools that accept Canadians based on previous years stats, I listed them below.
For Canadians must have GPA over 3.6 and DAT over 20 and EC +++++ and really good references and interview. From last year posts I can see that most Canadians accepted had GPA over 3.7 and above aver DAT.
All universities have preference for in-state applicants who have lower stats compared to out of state and then international students so posted average GPA and DAT stats are really skewed .
For example, for my DD1 at NOVA GPA was 3.7 and DAT 21 but for OOS and Canadian stats were: 3.8 and 22

From ADA 2017 data, DD1 admitted:
#of Canadians
.... Aver DAT Aver GPA for all students

D. Mercy 25............... DAT 20.2.......GPA 3.6
NYU 32 .................. . . 21.............. 3.49
Boston 7.................... 19.5........ GPA 3.41
Case 3.............. .......... . 19.9 ........ .....3.6
NOVA 4 .................... DAT 21..... ...3.7
Minnesota 3.................... .20........ 3.58
Pennsylvania 2 ............. ....21........ GAP 3.68
Pittsburgh 2............. DAT 21....... GPA 3.64

UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO: 2 (but they interview Canadians only after January 1st)
TEMPLE: 2
MIDWESTERN , IL: 3

This is a good list of schools to apply to. I hope it helps Canadians applicants. Good luck !!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
First of all, I really appreciate your thoughtful and helpful reply.
I assume it isn't the best idea to apply to schools like Maryland or New England, then. Is the list in the order of most to least # of enrolling Canadian students?

Maryland has not been accepting Canadians , New England requires Human Anatomy as oppose to other dental schools and have a really low class size and huge preference to in-state applicants and generally do not accept international students.

Reactions: 1 user
iamlostinlife & other Canadians:
In general Canadians should apply only to these schools that accept Canadians based on previous years stats, I listed them below.
For Canadians must have GPA over 3.6 and DAT over 20 and EC +++++ and really good references and interview. From last year posts I can see that most Canadians accepted had GPA over 3.7 and above aver DAT.
All universities have preference for in-state applicants who have lower stats compared to out of state and then international students so posted average GPA and DAT stats are really skewed .
For example, for my DD1 at NOVA GPA was 3.7 and DAT 21 but for OOS and Canadian stats were: 3.8 and 22

From ADA 2017 data, DD1 admitted:
#of Canadians
.... Aver DAT Aver GPA for all students

D. Mercy 25............... DAT 20.2.......GPA 3.6
NYU 32 .................. . . 21.............. 3.49
Boston 7.................... 19.5........ GPA 3.41
Case 3.............. .......... . 19.9 ........ .....3.6
NOVA 4 .................... DAT 21..... ...3.7
Minnesota 3.................... .20........ 3.58
Pennsylvania 2 ............. ....21........ GAP 3.68
Pittsburgh 2............. DAT 21....... GPA 3.64

UNIVERSITY AT BUFFALO: 2 (but they interview Canadians only after January 1st)
TEMPLE: 2
MIDWESTERN , IL: 3

This is a good list of schools to apply to. I hope it helps Canadians applicants. Good luck !!

Where did you get the information that UB only interviews Canadians after January 1st?

Where did you get the information that UB only interviews Canadians after January 1st?

In regards to interviews at UB I know this from the last year's cycle. I think because they are a public university and focus on in state applicants 1st and leave international to the end. Most Canadians were interviewed in Jan - February last year.
I know of a Canadian from Toronto with GPA 3.89 and DAT 22 who was accepted to UB (unfortunately not even offered an interview at any Canadian dental schools ) . I was accepted in June but then had already committed to another school (and cheaper).
From previous years stats: UB accepts usually 1 or 2 Canadians with really high GPA and DAT.

In regards to interviews at UB I know this from the last year's cycle. I think because they are a public university and focus on in state applicants 1st and leave international to the end. Most Canadians were interviewed in Jan - February last year.
I know of a Canadian from Toronto with GPA 3.89 and DAT 22 who was accepted to UB (unfortunately not even offered an interview at any Canadian dental schools ) . I was accepted in June but then had already committed to another school (and cheaper).
From previous years stats: UB accepts usually 1 or 2 Canadians with really high GPA and DAT.
lmao well shoot