This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordij94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a great app! Your problem is that your school list is wayyyyyyy too top heavy, and the mid-tier schools you did include like GW, Jeff, Rush, and NYMC, all get like >10,000 applications. Especially coming out of CA, you need to add a ton more low tier and mid-tier schools. There is still time to get in, but right now is definitely the right time to strongly consider reapplication, so great work on addressing it.

When did you have a complete application this year?
Agree you need a new activity, but I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe shadow a new specialty and do a new clinical volunteering activity.
Consider applying DO. MD and DO will have the same match next year so the lines are blurring even more. If you go to a good DO school and then do well on boards, you will get a great residency. If you don't apply DOO, you might never be a doctor. Your call.

Definitely can confirm updates at Jeff are good. Jeff also has a very strong LGBT community in the student body including student groups (Consider mentioning that in the update if it's something you are open about and interested in. Not sure how you would do that, but it could be one of those "fit" things.).

Reactions: 1 users
Your problem is that your school list is wayyyyyyy too top heavy, and the mid-tier schools you did include like GW, Jeff, Rush, and NYMC, all get like >10,000 applications.
I agree-- I initially went into the cycle looking at the top tier schools (ie Yale, Mt Sinai, etc.) through a lighter lens since they consider LGBT applicants as URM.

When did you have a complete application this year?
Complete in mid August to early September (all schools finished before labor day besides GT, GWU and CU).

Agree you need a new activity, but I'm not sure what would be best. Maybe shadow a new specialty and do a new clinical volunteering activity.
I was honestly thinking of quitting my MA job and going into sales to tap into my interest in business (and possibly desire to do MD/MBA) and make extra money before med school.

Consider applying DO. MD and DO will have the same match next year so the lines are blurring even more. If you go to a good DO school and then do well on boards, you will get a great residency. If you don't apply DOO, you might never be a doctor. Your call.
In that case should i just apply to DO schools this cycle before January?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree-- I initially went into the cycle looking at the top tier schools (ie Yale, Mt Sinai, etc.) through a lighter lens since they consider LGBT applicants as URM.

Understandable and just poor advising more than anything. Next year if you need to reapply, don't make the same mistake.

I was honestly thinking of quitting my MA job and going into sales to tap into my interest in business (and possibly desire to do MD/MBA) and make extra money before med school.
My opinion on this is that you should do what you want to do. If you don't like being an MA, go do something else. Just be able to talk about why what you change to will help with your career. But having different experiences is really valuable. Business is also becoming more of an issue taught in medical schools so it would totally be valuable. Saving money is a non-trivial issue too. More money means more applications next year too.

In that case should i just apply to DO schools this cycle before January?

I have no idea about this. I'm sure someone does though. If you can I say go for it though.

Reactions: 1 user

Okay thank you so much for the response and congrats on your acceptance!

Apply to both MD and DO.

Drop your top-tier MDs and pick some DO schools you like.

Apply to both MD and DO.

Drop your top-tier MDs and pick some DO schools you like.

Does this mean I don't NEED to improve ECs/volunteering and I just need to apply more broadly? I'm trying to decide between applying to research positions to make minimum wage while volunteering or getting a job in the business field to make money during this unexpected gap year.

You should add Creighton to your list of schools. You seem like a well-rounded applicant which we really like in our students. The fact is that your personal statement might be well written but may NOT stand out as much as you would think. Other than that try to be more realistic about your school choices.

Does this mean I don't NEED to improve ECs/volunteering and I just need to apply more broadly? I'm trying to decide between applying to research positions to make minimum wage while volunteering or getting a job in the business field to make money during this unexpected gap year.

Your ECs are fine and likely not what kept you out this cycle.

So most likely school list, essays, and/or a red flag elsewhere then? I prefer MD and not DO so should I retake the MCAT to make me more competitive?

MCAT and GPA are fine.

Take another look at those essays and your school list.

As a last-case scenario, consider red flags. Red flags are very rarely present in applications where the applicant has no idea they exist.

update: received my first II last week!

Reactions: 3 users
Good, hopefully you get in. Your list was too heavy but what's it matter if you get in