This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Columbia or NYU postbac

• Columbia

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • NYU

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

DEC82018

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all, this is my first post here. I am facing a difficult choice between Columbia and NYU's postbac premed programs. The deadline to decide is tomorrow so I would really appreciate any feedbacks! I knew there are lots of complains about Columbia in this forum but I am having difficulty finding information about NYU. Can anyone share their experience at NYU? My questions are:

1. Is it easy to get As in NYU?
2. Is NYU's advising good and helpful?
3. Does NYU provide lots of resources for research and shadowing opportunity?
4. I am interested in Columbia's linkages b/c it saves a year. CU has lots more linkages than NYU. But how possible is it to gain admission thru linkage?
5. Does any of the school provide MCAT preparation?

Thank you! Any advice is appreciated.
Have you taken any pre-reqs yet? I’m confused on the whole “linkage” thing.

I can't speak to NYU, but I was a nontrad at Columbia, so I had a lot of interaction with the post-bacc program. Some thoughts in no particular order.
- Columbia is expensive and you can expect no financial support.
- Columbia is not known for having the most supportive academic advisors, some are good, some are worthless (a former postbacc advisor literally laughed at me when I told her I was applying MD/PhD with a 3.87 gpa...I've had 15 interview invites and 3 acceptances so far....)
- Columbia pre-med classes are tough (particularly biology) and you get thrown right into it. Many people drop out because of the difficulty. Many also succeed though.
-Columbia students that complete the program have a good track record of getting into medical school. I don't have the numbers offhand, but I remember it being fairly high.
5-Columbia is a competitive environment in general and it is very apparent in the student population. "The goal at Columbia isn't to be smart, its to sound smart."- CU Professor.
- Linkage is tough but doable. A fair amount of people link every year, but its not the majority. I think Columbia Med takes 2 post-baccs a year, same with Rutgers NJMS IIRC.
- Columbia biology will very much prepare you for the MCAT. It is a problem-based curriculum. You will be doing passage-style questions from day one.

People complain about Columbia, and often for good reason, but if you have the funds, are a dedicated student willing to work hard, don't need your hand held through the process, and are reasonably intelligent, Columbia will prepare you well. Its very much a sink or swim environment. If you can handle it, medical school will seem easy afterwards, or at least thats what the former post-baccs say.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will add that the committee letters that come out of Columbia are exceptional. They will tell your story better than you can tell it yourself (it doesn't sound like bragging if it comes from a third party). They'll pull out the anecdote you shared about your Granny who went to medical school duirng World War II and how she was a role model.

NYU letters tend to just be a series of quotes from the letters submitted on your behalf and then all those letters appended in full.

Reactions: 6 users
Thanks for your insightful feedbacks! That's actually very interesting because I have heard the opposite about how the Columbia letter just repeats things on your transcripts and ranks you from "competitive" to "non-competitive"...

The letters from professors don't contribute much but the letter from the post-bac advisor is usually long and chatty.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply! That's very informative and helpful. And congratulations on your acceptances!
I heard that we can avoid the tough bio classes by taking them at Barnard. Is that true?

You can, but I think its a waste. IIRC Barnard bio spends significant time on topics not relevant to your future career path (Plants, Eco, etc.), while Columbia bio focuses 100% on the molecular mechanisms of life (The class is broken down into 6 subsections over 2 semesters: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Physiology, and Development). I think Dr. Mowshowitz's biology class is one of the best reasons to attend Columbia over other postbacc programs. Its one-of-a-kind, You will be well prepared for the MCAT and your future. Its a difficult class though. See her wikipedia article and decide for yourself. Deborah Mowshowitz - Wikipedia

I will add that the committee letters that come out of Columbia are exceptional. They will tell your story better than you can tell it yourself (it doesn't sound like bragging if it comes from a third party). They'll pull out the anecdote you shared about your Granny who went to medical school duirng World War II and how she was a role model.

NYU letters tend to just be a series of quotes from the letters submitted on your behalf and then all those letters appended in full.

To add to this, the Columbia pre-application process is extensive. ~20 pages in essays similar to what you get on secondaries, a personal statement, and a 1 hour in person interview go into drafting your committee letter. You do these ~January before you apply.

NYU postbac is good and bad. Some of the classes like Physics and Gen Chem are doable with hard work. Orgo and Molec cell(not sure if u have to take it) are considerably harder and weed out. GChem started with 550-600 kids, by the end of orgo you're left with 100ish.

personally would recommend an easier school where maintaining As will be easier. If you're deadset on these 2 go columbia. Work won't be that much different but you'll get the Ivy bonus.

You can, but I think its a waste. IIRC Barnard bio spends significant time on topics not relevant to your future career path (Plants, Eco, etc.), while Columbia bio focuses 100% on the molecular mechanisms of life (The class is broken down into 6 subsections over 2 semesters: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Cell Biology, Physiology, and Development). I think Dr. Mowshowitz's biology class is one of the best reasons to attend Columbia over other postbacc programs. Its one-of-a-kind, You will be well prepared for the MCAT and your future. Its a difficult class though. See her wikipedia article and decide for yourself. Deborah Mowshowitz - Wikipedia

How is Columbia’s intro bio sequence curved?

Thanks for your advice! That's very very helpful. I don't have to take Molec cell but I need the Orgo. I originally thought NYU is gonna be easier A than Columbia. If they are equally difficult I need to rethink about it. Isn't Columbia's biology one of the toughest in the country? I also read a lot of bad reviews about Columbia so I am really hesitant.
I am only looking for postbac programs in NYC, and since the Hunter program was discontinued recently, I was left with only two choices, Cu and NYU... Not sure what to do now. Neither of them seems worth it.

ClimbsRox probably boosted his/her chances by doing very well in a tough program.

If that’s too risky, consider a DIY postbacc or Bryn Mawr that is well respected but not so competitive.

Columbia has a hard intro to bio class (pretty much on the level of NYUs molecular cell biology class) and NYU has a hard Organic chemistry class. Just pick whatever one best fits you. Both schools send out a newsletter with research opportunities and it’s New York so opportunities are plenty.

How is Columbia’s intro bio sequence curved?

It is not curved in the traditional sense. There are 3 exams and a semi-cumulative final. Drop the lowest midterm. There are defined cutoffs for what points you need for an A, A-, B+ etc. If at the end of the semester, the average grades seem lower than other years, then she drops the cutoffs a few points. In the end ~20-30% of the class will receive an A range grade. Is it the hardest intro bio class in the country? Probably because it forces you to solve problems, not just repeat facts like most intro bio classes do. E.g. you will not get asked "What is the charge on DNA?", You will get asked, " You ran an ion exchange column with a positive charge on cell extracts, which macromolecule was bound?" Thats a pretty simple example, it gets more involved, but you are required to use knowledge, not just have it.

Organic is tough at Columbia too, but the professors are mostly very good (Campos, Nuckolls, and Doubleday come to mind). I don't have as much knowledge on that class though. I TA'd bio, so I have a lot of knowledge on that.

Thanks for your advice! That's very very helpful. I don't have to take Molec cell but I need the Orgo. I originally thought NYU is gonna be easier A than Columbia. If they are equally difficult I need to rethink about it. Isn't Columbia's biology one of the toughest in the country? I also read a lot of bad reviews about Columbia so I am really hesitant.
I am only looking for postbac programs in NYC, and since the Hunter program was discontinued recently, I was left with only two choices, Cu and NYU... Not sure what to do now. Neither of them seems worth it.
I only mention this because GPA is important. I personally felt the work needed to do well was instane considering the marginal benefit of the school name. The work will be at intense uptown as well but At least with Columbia you are at an established Ivy. If ud like to take a look at the work for NYU Orgo , search up maitland Jones orgo, his Princeton website will come up with old exams and practice problems.
Good luck

Hi - I am making the same decision right now for the fall 2019 semester start and was wondering which you ended choosing, and if you are happy with your decision?

When I did my post-bacc back in the day, it was between Northwestern University (where I went for undergrad) and Loyola University of Chicago. I remember hearing how difficult general chemistry was at Northwestern, and that it weeded out a whole bunch of traditional pre-meds. I went to an informational meeting for Northwestern's post-bacc program, which was run through the School of Continuing Studies. The entire time the presenter boasted on how difficult and tedious it was, that it was just like the undergraduate courses! On the contrary, Loyola's post-bacc program was taking the prerequisites during the day with the undergrads.

At the end of the day, I didn't quit my cushy airline job to get destroyed and weeded out in a post-bacc program. I ultimately made the [correct] decision to attend Loyola and never looked back. @LizzyM brought up a very interesting point regarding the quality of committee letters. Unless you're an ADCOM though, I don't think any of us mere mortals would know that. But that does bring up other things to think about. Otherwise, I would look for a program that will optimize your chances for success and with a committee letter included.

Reactions: 1 user
At the end of the day, I didn't quit my cushy airline job to get destroyed and weeded out in a post-bacc program. I ultimately made the [correct] decision to attend Loyola and never looked back.

I am looking into Loyola Chicago (as well as Fordham, Columbia) - it's great to hear you loved it! I'd love to hear more if you'd be OK with me messaging you!

Reactions: 1 user