This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkstudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From your list of pros and cons, it seems like Cornell is the best fit in terms of basically everything except cost. I really think Cornell is worth taking out 30k in loans a year especially if it makes you a happier and more successful student (I’m also bias because I’m going to Cornell in the fall lol). Also consider that needing a car at USC could also add up over 4 years

Reactions: 3 users
I also went to an Ivy and when I went to Cornell's interview day I felt like I was right back there with the vibe (not particularly social or friendly). When I asked the Cornell students what their avg week looks like they basically seemed like they just studied and worked in labs and didn't have much of a life. So that was a major negative for me. I also don't think you should make a choice that relies on Cornell going debt-free - hopefully they will if you choose it - but I think that is risky.

I didn't interview at USC so I don't have a lot to say but I do have a friend who goes there and really loves her classmates and living in southern California. You could also lease a car for not that much money.

I think you should tally up the total amount of loans you would have for USC and Cornell and then try to determine which of those pros and cons matter the most to you. For me having a good fit/social students is a major requirement but maybe your biggest pluses are nyc and msk - hard to know without knowing you

Reactions: 1 user
Heya. I'm an M1 at WCM (biased), but I also interviewed at and received a full tuition scholarship offer from USC during my cycle. Is your loan offer from Cornell 30k+ more than what you'll be borrowing from Keck or "30k+"? I ask because Afaik Keck's COA is ~91k, so with a full tuition scholarship you'd still have to borrow 25-30k on top of getting a car.

Anyways, I can tell you we do not just study and work in labs all day long; It would be kind of impossible/illegal to when you live in Manhattan with a p/f non cumulative exam preclinical curriculum. Both USC and Weill are great schools that'll get you where you need to be.

Feel free to pm me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
30K a year is quite reasonable and I'm sure there must be some substance to all the debt-free rumors! I'd say Cornell seems like an easy choice.

Ty everyone! Def a lot to think about! I just estimated my costs and the difference would be ~110k assuming Cornell doesn’t go debt-free at all ever
I would make a financial plan and see how that 110k will grow with interest. I’m not hating on Cornell I’m just saying that can easily become a 200k price difference when it comes down to it. You may find that that matters in your life

I would make a financial plan and see how that 110k will grow with interest. I’m not hating on Cornell I’m just saying that can easily become a 200k price difference when it comes down to it. You may find that that matters in your life
I agree it’s important to take look at finances. Though I will say, chunk of WCM’s loans aren’t federal loans, but institutional. Most of the institutional loans are actually 0% interest till after residency and some are 0% till after fellowship, and 3-4% thereafter.