This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted997102

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to work in the Philippines, train in the Philippines. If you want to work in the US, train in the US.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s likely only feasible to practice in both if you go to a US medical school

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, yes, and I have read this a couple of times. Is it not feasible to practice in both?
Sure, but that means completing GME in both countries in order to practice in both and there is no guarantee of you matching into a US MD program as a foreign grad. Seriously, don't bite off more than you can chew. Study in the PI and practice there. If this is your calling don't get greedy.

I am genuinely curious how medicine is taught in the Philippines and the US. I studied in both countries but I understand these experiences still don't give me a picture of how medicine is taught in both countries. I had just recently signed up here and one of the first things I've read is to be respectful and your choice of words sure is not being respectful. If you haven't realized this from reading my post, I am still deciding even though I expressed I am leaning towards studying in the PI. I don't think just saying 'study in the PI and practice there' contribute a bit to the question being asked or to my decision process. If you find wanting to help the underserved people of the US and of the PI (being a doctor to the barrios) being greedy, then, good luck to your practice and may you be successful in your career.
While you seem to be genuinely curious about how the training is different in both countries, your OP focused on the fact that taking out a large amount of loans to train in the US was too risky for your situation. If that is true, and you would be satisfied practicing in the PI, that's the end of your inquiry, and the differences in teaching in the two countries doesn't matter, because you don't want to pay what it will likely cost to attend school in the US, and it isn't necessary to train here if you really don't care about the increased income or prestige training in the US might mean down the road.

With all due respect, I think that's all @CyrilFiggis meant by the "greedy" comment. I don't think anyone here thinks helping the underserved in the US would make anyone "greedy," but if you have an acceptable, less expensive alternative (helping the underserved in the PI), why wouldn't you take it and stop there? I think he meant "greedy" in terms of seeking further alternatives after you have found the ideal one for you, not "greedy" in terms of money, but he can correct me if I am wrong.

if you have an acceptable, less expensive alternative (helping the underserved in the PI), why wouldn't you take it and stop there? I think he meant "greedy" in terms of seeking further alternatives after you have found the ideal one for you, not "greedy" in terms of money, but he can correct me if I am wrong.
Correct.