14 - 9 - 14 Help with schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partinerns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

When I applied for UG, I overshot, and the end result was that I got screwed (turns out I really like the state school I ended up in but I thought I was screwed at the time :p)

Consequently, I am really worried about overshooting for med schools. Do you think that I have enough 'lower tier med schools' (I still think thats an oxymoron) and good enough stats for some of the mid range?

I am a 3.97 cGPA, PS:14 VR:9 BS:14, state schooled, MA resident. My EC's are in my MD apps.

School List:
Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
Boston University
Case Western Reserve University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Creighton University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
Jefferson Medical College
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Ohio State University
Tufts University
University of Connecticut
University of Massachusetts
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
University of Rochester
University of Vermont
Vanderbilt University
Wake Forest University
http://www.mdapplicants.com/schoolsummary?schoolid=137

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers put you in the race but if you hope to get into

Case Western Reserve University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Harvard University
Ohio State University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt University

I think you'll need a bit more than numbers bc every applicant will have strong numbers. (yes there are some real super humans out there...:eek:)

I definably think you'll get accepted somewhere. Just get your app. in fast.

good luck!

Hopkins and Mt Sinai have their bottom tenth percentile for verbal at 10. So it might be considered unrealistic to apply there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do have a lot of higher schools, but overall, I think you will be fine. Since you are a MA resident, I'll break down those schools real quick:

UMass and Tufts is yours to lose, but BU and Harvard will not at all appreciate that unbalanced MCAT score. Not to say you won't get in, but it will be rather difficult. You could save an easy $250 there.

UMass is also quite slow on the application review, so you need to send out that app quite soon. Your chances there will be jeopardized simply due to a late application (this is true at any school, but moreso at UMass).

You do have a lot of higher schools, but overall, I think you will be fine. Since you are a MA resident, I'll break down those schools real quick:

UMass and Tufts is yours to lose, but BU and Harvard will not at all appreciate that unbalanced MCAT score. Not to say you won't get in, but it will be rather difficult. You could save an easy $250 there.

UMass is also quite slow on the application review, so you need to send out that app quite soon. Your chances there will be jeopardized simply due to a late application (this is true at any school, but moreso at UMass).

Man you must really think I am an ass today camaras2480 but I hate to disagree with you...
EXHIBIT A: this is a link to shemarty mdapps (14,9,15) on her MCAT.
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10417 ... you are not going to have luck EVERYWHERE you apply (hardly anybody does) but I would say "Yeah...go ahead and apply wherever you want...maybe if I am lucky I can come visit you at the top 10 school YOU DECIDE to attend next year"

Peace

Edit: Also have fun with whatever HUGE Scholarship you are given
Edit #2: Applying in mid july will not make you late. This is normal time right now. Also with a 37 on their MCAT it won't really matter because some of the schools she will likely be applying to (Like Harvard) do not have rolling admissions...and others wont really care because like maybe less than 2% of people get a 37+ on their MCAT

Man you must really think I am an ass today camaras2480 but I hate to disagree with you...
EXHIBIT A: this is a link to shemarty mdapps (14,9,15) on her MCAT.
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10417 ... you are not going to have luck EVERYWHERE you apply (hardly anybody does) but I would say "Yeah...go ahead and apply wherever you want...maybe if I am lucky I can come visit you at the top 10 school YOU DECIDE to attend next year"

Peace

Edit: Also have fun with whatever HUGE Scholarship you are given
Edit #2: Applying in mid july will not make you late. This is normal time right now. Also with a 37 on their MCAT it won't really matter because some of the schools she will likely be applying to (Like Harvard) do not have rolling admissions...and others wont really care because like maybe less than 2% of people get a 37+ on their MCAT

I don't think you are an ass, I appreciate everyone's views - particularly contradicting ones. Keeps us WAMC regulars in check ya know? :)

About the point you raise: there is an Exhibit A to any given situation. In this case, shemarty is not in the majority. Many candidates would not be accepted with this type of application. And plus, we don't even know how the interview will play out - without a reasonable answer as to why one section was bad, an interview could go poorly.

About Edit #2: I was specifically referring to UMass. They are slow. Very slow. They didn't even get through all the applications in some years.

What do you mean by this?
Yeah what do you mean by that Cameras??? Do you mean that many people are not accepted with one of the best applications ever? Cuz that makes no sense.

You make it sound like you got a 42T(14,14,14) on the MCAT. and a 4.0gpa...what did you really get, because I really don't know where you are getting this advice. I just spent the past year getting interviews and being accepted to a lot of schools and talking to more pre-meds and medical students than I ever care to speak to again...I am just wondering where you are getting your info, because I think you are getting people anxious when they have nothing to feel anxious about on their application

Yeah what do you mean by that Cameras??? Do you mean that many people are not accepted with one of the best applications ever? Cuz that makes no sense.

You make it sound like you got a 42T(14,14,14) on the MCAT. and a 4.0gpa...what did you really get, because I really don't know where you are getting this advice. I just spent the past year getting interviews and being accepted to a lot of schools and talking to more pre-meds and medical students than I ever care to speak to again...I am just wondering where you are getting your info, because I think you are getting people anxious when they have nothing to feel anxious about on their application

I was referring to an unbalanced MCAT.

I myself got a 6 on the MCAT, 2s across the board, but I got lucky in the writing sample and got a T. 6T.

Congratulations on your multiple acceptances; however, do not assume you have more experience than others simply because you got into medical school. You have no idea who I am or what I do, and I don't care to advertise it for obvious privacy reasons - sure, please b1tch at me for maintaining a strict anonymity.

As in my disclaimer, my advice is my opinion. If you don't like it, I have no problem with that. However, when posting a disagreement, try to be civil rather than in an attacking mode.

Last edited:

I myself got a 6 on the MCAT, 2s across the board, but I got lucky in the writing sample and got a T. 6T.

Congratulations on your multiple acceptances; however, do not assume you have more experience than others simply because you got into medical school. You have no idea who I am or what I do, and I don't care to advertise it for obvious privacy reasons - sure, please b1tch at me for maintaining a strict anonymity.

As in my disclaimer, my advice is my opinion. If you don't like it, I have no problem with that. However, when positing a disagreement, try to be civil rather than in an attacking mode.

Pwnd

Im sorry things got out of hand...

Here's how I'm going to look at it: if adcoms are fine with a 10 - 9 - 11, why wouldn't they be ok with 14 - 9 - 14? Its hard to complain with my overall score, but d*** that imbalance!

Im sorry things got out of hand...

Here's how I'm going to look at it: if adcoms are fine with a 10 - 9 - 11, why wouldn't they be ok with 14 - 9 - 14? Its hard to complain with my overall score, but d*** that imbalance!

lol

As in my disclaimer, my advice is my opinion. If you don't like it, I have no problem with that. However, when posting a disagreement, try to be civil rather than in an attacking mode.

Opinion or not, saying that most people would not get into med school with a 14/9/14 is flat out wrong. I've had plenty of friends get in with a 9 in verbal and 10/11 in the other sections. An imbalanced MCAT is not a likely reason for rejection (assuming we aren't talking about something like a 13/14/6). I still don't understand what the basis of that statement was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Opinion or not, saying that most people would not get into med school with a 14/9/14 is flat out wrong. I've had plenty of friends get in with a 9 in verbal and 10/11 in the other sections. An imbalanced MCAT is not a likely reason for rejection (assuming we aren't talking about something like a 13/14/6). I still don't understand what the basis of that statement was.

Thank you for your input. Now please re-read the thread and point out where I said "most people would not get into med school with a 14/9/14."

Also, note that I was speaking of two particular schools, not every school.

Thank you for your input. Now please re-read the thread and point out where I said "most people would not get into med school with a 14/9/14."

Also, note that I was speaking of two particular schools, not every school.

You didn't make that clear; which two schools were you referring to?

hoot, this is where it all started.

That's what I thought; but you indicated that Shemarty was an exception to the rule by getting in. Shemarty, however, didn't get in to either of those schools. Am I missing something?

That's what I thought; but you indicated that Shemarty was an exception to the rule by getting in. Shemarty, however, didn't get in to either of those schools. Am I missing something?

Yes you are - I was never hitting shemartys application, the entire thread I have been commenting on the effect of an unbalanced MCAT. The "exception" I was referring to was her unbalanced MCAT getting into great schools - note that she has an excellent all around application.

You can look at the BU thread - people with 35+ MCATs have already been rejected - granted, I don't know their breakdowns, but having a 37 doesn't lock a seat.

Yes you are - I was never hitting shemartys application, the entire thread I have been commenting on the effect of an unbalanced MCAT. The "exception" I was referring to was her unbalanced MCAT getting into great schools - note that she has an excellent all around application.

You can look at the BU thread - people with 35+ MCATs have already been rejected - granted, I don't know their breakdowns, but having a 37 doesn't lock a seat.

All I read from this is that 10 minutes ago you were referring to two particular schools. Now you've expanded that to include 'great schools'. Besides this, the OP also has a great all around application.

All I read from this is that 10 minutes ago you were referring to two particular schools. Now you've expanded that to include 'great schools'. Besides this, the OP also has a great all around application.

You asked about shemarty, I responded about shemarty. I have to expand from 2 schools to address this because she only applied to 1 of the 2 schools in question.

I then proceeded to provide a recent example about BU, to try and bring my point into perspective. EDIT: nevermind, the kid with a 3.8/38 or something edited their post and took it out.

Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? Sure sounds like it.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing; I still don't understand what backing you have for your original statement. Shemarty got into top-tier schools, and so will the OP. Moreover, MD apps shows that plenty of people have gotten into Hopkins, WashU, Harvard, etc. with 'unbalanced' scores similar to 9/14/14.

I feel that it is incorrect for you to call a 14/14/9 unbalanced. Just because the two 14s are extremely high doesn't mean a mediocre 9 kills you.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing; I still don't understand what backing you have for your original statement. Shemarty got into top-tier schools, and so will the OP. Moreover, MD apps shows that plenty of people have gotten into Hopkins, WashU, Harvard, etc. with 'unbalanced' scores similar to 9/14/14.

It does NOT kill you. I simply said that it will be difficult to overcome at Harvard and BU.

Primary reason:
Harvard: they get tons of candidates with 35+, plenty with more balance, and just as strong of an application. Not considering the interview, who do you think gets a given seat: unbalanced or balanced?

BU: they get some ~11,000 applicants. They seriously only need 1 reason to throw out an applicant, which is why people on the BU thread are rather angry that their excellent numbers earned them a July rejection.

I feel that it is incorrect for you to call a 14/14/9 unbalanced. Just because the two 14s are extremely high doesn't mean a mediocre 9 kills you.

And this is ridiculous. It is an excellent score, but it is still unbalanced simply by definition. If you consider 11/6/11 unbalanced (which I do), then by the same principle you have to consider 14/9/14 unbalanced. I NEVER said it was a bad score.

If your definition of unbalanced is having two sections at 5 points above the weaker third than sure.

A score of 11/11/6 is two good sections and one terrible

A score of 14/14/9 is two near-perfect sections and one decent, I just don't consider it to be 'unbalanced' in the sense that adcoms mean

A 6 in any score would be bad no matter what, but it isn't like that 9 suddenly looks infinitely worse because of the two other stellar numbers

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but just as you gave your opinion, the above is mine. I think you're advice to the OP was more than a tad harsh.

If your definition of unbalanced is having two sections at 5 points above the weaker third than sure.

A score of 11/11/6 is two good sections and one terrible

A score of 14/14/9 is two near-perfect sections and one decent, I just don't consider it to be 'unbalanced' in the sense that adcoms mean

A 6 in any score would be bad no matter what, but it isn't like that 9 suddenly looks infinitely worse because of the two other stellar numbers

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but just as you gave your opinion, the above is mine. I think you're advice to the OP was more than a tad harsh.

So a 12/7/12 is not unbalanced, and neither is 13/8/13? I was using an extreme case to make a point, don't blow it out of proportion.

You are not wrong - I am simply attempting to support what I said initially - you just don't want to accept this. And, more than a tad harsh? Do you even read anything I say? I commented on OP's chances at FOUR of his several schools, and said he/she has an excellent shot at TWO of them. 50%. I also said that OP can still get in to the other schools, but that the unbalanced MCAT would be difficult to overcome.

If you think this is more than a tad harsh, I don't even want to know what you think of my last response to Zeus.

And this is ridiculous. It is an excellent score, but it is still unbalanced simply by definition. If you consider 11/6/11 unbalanced (which I do), then by the same principle you have to consider 14/9/14 unbalanced. I NEVER said it was a bad score.
I agree with camaras - the OP is unbalanced. His verbal score is low as well.

Although, my best friend got into a top 10 school with a 7 on the verbal section (every other part of his app was crazy good). So it's been done.

so a 14/9/14 is clearly an unbalanced score. just look at the percentiles for each section

and yea the 14s will be in the top half of any school you apply to but the 9 will be in the bottom half of most and bottom 10th of pretty much all the top schools.

so i think camaras is saying some schools may be more nitpicky about unbalanced scores, specifically with a section with a sub-ten. i have no idea which ones would be that picky but im sure there are a few. none of your ECs are mind-lowing (OP) so maybe the 9 may be enough to screw you over at places (in combination with other potential deficits) because top schools wont have a lack of students applying with 12/13+ in sciences and a 10/11+ in verbal.

OP im sure you'll get in somewhere as long as you dont blow interviews and essays. as for the top tiers, who knows? you cannot compare your app to shemarty's imo (as zeus did) because i think her app was stronger. that doesn't mean you cannot have an excellent cycle though, so good luck!

It does NOT kill you. I simply said that it will be difficult to overcome at Harvard and BU.

Primary reason:
Harvard: they get tons of candidates with 35+, plenty with more balance, and just as strong of an application. Not considering the interview, who do you think gets a given seat: unbalanced or balanced?

BU: they get some ~11,000 applicants. They seriously only need 1 reason to throw out an applicant, which is why people on the BU thread are rather angry that their excellent numbers earned them a July rejection.

I seriously doubt that the break in the OP's score will get more than a split second thought upon review.

Camaras: Two things one needs to think about when talking about BU (or similarly Georgetown) are sheer numbers and yield protection. Both schools get astronomical numbers of applications each year due to their desirable locations and low stats. They reject many high stats candidates because they are rightly concerned that these candidates will be drawn away by other institutions. Since it is part of a school's ranking, schools like to protect their yield (number matriculants vs accepted); thus they may in fact have a negative bias against higher stats candidates. Furthermore, as you mentioned, they have to reject lots of people simply because they get lots of applicants. There are many school specific factors for WAMC, this is a good example.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt that the break in the OP's score will get more than a split second thought upon review.

Camaras: Two things one needs to think about when talking about BU (or similarly Georgetown) are sheer numbers and yield protection. Both schools get astronomical numbers of applications each year due to their desirable locations and low stats. They reject many high stats candidates because they are rightly concerned that these candidates will be drawn away by other institutions. Since it is part of a school's ranking, schools like to protect their yield (number matriculants vs accepted); thus they may in fact have a negative bias against higher stats candidates. Furthermore, as you mentioned, they have to reject lots of people simply because they get lots of applicants. There are many school specific factors for WAMC, this is a good example.

Yeah, thanks. I know? lol. I posted all that in the BU thread somewhere, but thanks again.

You didn't make that clear; which two schools were you referring to?

i thought it was pretty clear...

to OP: feel you on that imbalance... i'm 15/11/15 and even though it's ridiculous to feel this way that 11 kills me..

i've read that the med schools these days pay a lot of attention to verbal because there's a recent study correlating that section most closely with Step1 performance

i thought it was pretty clear...

to OP: feel you on that imbalance... i'm 15/11/15 and even though it's ridiculous to feel this way that 11 kills me..

*sigh*... as long as it gets me in somewhere i'll be happy

i've read that the med schools these days pay a lot of attention to verbal because there's a recent study correlating that section most closely with Step1 performance

its actually bio

I go to fat people for fat loss advice....

wait camaras2480, did you really get a 6?

its actually bio
a high verbal is all the rage.

so a great verbal score (13 and up) means you got lucky that day

but all the schools think it makes you a sexy candidate. odd.

i would say bio is the section looked at the most heavily.. but it's generally the easiest section for premeds. i think if you tank bio it becomes the most important section, but otherwise it's verbal since most people suck at it.

Last edited:
I go to fat people for fat loss advice....
that's not the case

it's more like you go to someone who was fat (person A), but is now normal, to help you (person B) lose weight.

massive loss of weight doesnt make "person A" a health guru, but it puts him/her in a better position to help someone like "person B" who is just starting off on the long journey of lifestyle change/ massive weight loss.

i would say bio is the section looked at the most heavily.. but it's generally the easiest section for premeds. i think if you tank bio it becomes the most important section, but otherwise it's verbal since most people suck at it.

massive loss of weight doesnt make "person A" a health guru, but it puts him/her in a better position to help someone like "person B" who is just starting off on the long journey of lifestyle change/ massive weight loss.

Two great posts, two cheers for redlight!

um...I was referring to bio as being the section with the highest correlation to step 1, not verbal(which has the least). I also dont buy this 'verbal emphasis' that everyone on sdn seems to continually repeat. If anything, the adcomms from different schools(top/mid/low tier) whom I've spoken to said they either put the most emphasis on the "sciences" or on bio...

um...I was referring to bio as being the section with the highest correlation to step 1, not verbal(which has the least). I also dont buy this 'verbal emphasis' that everyone on sdn seems to continually repeat. If anything, the adcomms from different schools(top/mid/low tier) whom I've spoken to said they either put the most emphasis on the "sciences" or on bio...
hmmmm,

wth

i thought i was responding to someone saying bio was most important. im sorry about that! i guess my mind is playing tricks on me.

and yeah ive spoken to a few adcom and they say verbal is most important

again, i think it's given that you MUST do well in the sciences. statistically, verbal is the most difficult section. doing well in it creates some distance between you and everyone else who can do well in BS and PS.

that's not the case

it's more like you go to someone who was fat (person A), but is now normal, to help you (person B) lose weight.

My response was lost on you.

hmmmm,

wth

i thought i was responding to someone saying bio was most important. im sorry about that! i guess my mind is playing tricks on me.

and yeah ive spoken to a few adcom and they say verbal is most important

again, i think it's given that you MUST do well in the sciences. statistically, verbal is the most difficult section. doing well in it creates some distance between you and everyone else who can do well in BS and PS.

yea i agree.