UMKC Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
I just submitted my secondary and now for the wait. It's been a wild ride and its not over yet!

Reactions: 1 users
I just submitted my secondary and now for the wait. It's been a wild ride and its not over yet!
Good luck! I know these UMKC threads haven't been very active over the past few cycles, but feel free to ask me anything if have any questions about the school (just finished D1 year)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! I know these UMKC threads haven't been very active over the past few cycles, but feel free to ask me anything if have any questions about the school (just finished D1 year)
How was the interview process Dr. ?

How was the interview process Dr. ?
Assuming nothing changed, when you first arrive they ask you to stand in front of a video camera and to take 1 minute to tell you about yourself. Then you spend a time in an open room with ~12 other people going through a few presentations talking about the school, clinic, financial aid, etc. You will also shadow a student down in clinic for like 30 minutes. After all that, you eat lunch in the original room and have the chance to speak to faculty/students. Then you either interview with a faculty member or you tour the school in a group. Interview questions are very straight forward and nothing out of the ordinary. Take a look at the link in the first post of this thread if you want some examples. After that is done, you might have one more presentation and a drawing exercise to see how well you can follow verbal instructions. I believe the day ended at around 2-3pm

Assuming nothing changed, when you first arrive they ask you to stand in front of a video camera and to take 1 minute to tell you about yourself. Then you spend a time in an open room with ~12 other people going through a few presentations talking about the school, clinic, financial aid, etc. You will also shadow a student down in clinic for like 30 minutes. After all that, you eat lunch in the original room and have the chance to speak to faculty/students. Then you either interview with a faculty member or you tour the school in a group. Interview questions are very straight forward and nothing out of the ordinary. Take a look at the link in the first post of this thread if you want some examples. After that is done, you might have one more presentation and a drawing exercise to see how well you can follow verbal instructions. I believe the day ended at around 2-3pm
Thank you for replying and, it seems very enjoyable, except for the 1-minute video. Also, did you receive an email or mail for the interview? Should I email them to see if they need anything else?

Thank you for replying and, it seems very enjoyable, except for the 1-minute video. Also, did you receive an email or mail for the interview? Should I email them to see if they need anything else?
Yeah the 1 minute video is awkward, but the admission committee uses it to put a face to the name when reviewing applicants for acceptance. I only used up like 15 seconds by saying my name, hobbies, and that I was excited to see the program. I received an email for the interview. I personally wouldn't email them, they'll let you know if something is missing or needs correcting in your app.

Yeah the 1 minute video is awkward, but the admission committee uses it to put a face to the name when reviewing applicants for acceptance. I only used up like 15 seconds by saying my name, hobbies, and that I was excited to see the program. I received an email for the interview. I personally wouldn't email them, they'll let you know if something is missing or needs correcting in your app.
Thank you, Dr! I am thinking about taking a few more classes online, to have something to do. It can get tiring to constantly check emails and refreshing them. I am also looking for a part-time job related to dentistry.

After looking at the website to see the total cost of attendance, I could only find the cost for tuition and fees. Do you have an estimate for the cost of living in Kansas City?

After looking at the website to see the total cost of attendance, I could only find the cost for tuition and fees. Do you have an estimate for the cost of living in Kansas City?
For a decent 1 bedroom apartment within walking distance to the school, you're looking at $1000 minimum at Gallerie, Marcato, Union Hill, and 2501 Beacon Hill. From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend Longfellow unless you're renting a townhome with another student (600/person), but even then, the appliances are old, bugs tend to get in, and maintainence takes forever to come around to fix something.

Here's a breakdown of all the nearby apartments to the school.

20200718_121945.jpg

Green=Union Hill
Purple=Gallerie
Blue=Longfellow
Yellow=2501 Beacon Hill
Red=Marcato

Gallerie, Marcato, and 2501 are all brand new so they're the nicest

Reactions: 3 users
Here's a breakdown of all the nearby apartments to the school.

View attachment 313184

Green=Union Hill
Purple=Gallerie
Blue=Longfellow
Yellow=2501 Beacon Hill
Red=Marcato

Gallerie, Marcato, and 2501 are all brand new so they're the nicest
Very helpful Dr.! Thank you so much for showing us.

For those who have received the "Thank you for your application materials" email, I created the application using first time user and then it shows my application but every time I click open application, it keeps redirecting me to the same site. Help?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have received the "Thank you for your application materials" email, I created the application using first time user and then it shows my application but every time I click open application, it keeps redirecting me to the same site. Help?
I personally did not run into this problem so I would try to email someone or try a different browser and see if that helps.

How much was your character count for the supplemental essay? Only 300 characters to answer "Why UMKC?"

How much was your character count for the supplemental essay? Only 300 characters to answer "Why UMKC?"

It’s their supplemental through the ADEA. It’s the same for everyone.

But yes, it is kinda short. Other universities provided me with 1000 words.

Last edited:
It’s their supplemental through the ADEA. It’s the same for everyone.

But yes, it is kinda short. Other universities provided me with 1000 words.

Okay just making sure it was not an error like it was for Univ Utah on their ADEA essays. I had a moment of paranoia :eek:

Interview #4
School: UMKC
Notification date: 8/25/2020
Method of notification: Email
Residency: MO
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/16/2020
Application complete date: 6/30/20
GPA (science, overall): 3.66, 3.88
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/20/21/none
Interview date: 9/14/20
Method of interview: Online

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #4
Notification date: 8/25/2020
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/16/2020
Application complete date: 6/30/20
GPA (science, overall): 3.66, 3.88
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/19/20/21/none
Interview date: 9/14/20
Method of interview: Online

Did they give details on the interview at all? I went to an interview last year and we had to do a drawing exercise, an ethical scenario exercise, a one minute recording for admissions, etc... Wondering if they will try and incorporate some of that this year at all or if it’s just normal style interviews.

Did they give details on the interview at all? I went to an interview last year and we had to do a drawing exercise, an ethical scenario exercise, a one minute recording for admissions, etc... Wondering if they will try and incorporate some of that this year at all or if it’s just normal style interviews.

The only info I got was that I have to do a one minute video and complete a rather lengthy and detailed "survey" essay type questions at least 10 days prior to my interview.

The only info I got was that I have to do a one minute video and complete a rather lengthy and detailed "survey" essay type questions at least 10 days prior to my interview.

Yeah that survey is A LOT of work. It took me forever to fill out last year. Good luck with your interview! If you don’t mind, please post about your online interview experience! I’m curious to hear how it will be with the transition this year!

Does anyone know if Kansas residents are considered for in-state tuition?

Interview #4
Notification date: Sept 3
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/27
Application complete date: 7/10
GPA (overall, science): 3.36, 3.36, informal post-bac: 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/19/29 QR 16
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/22
Method of Interview: Virtual

How was your interview?!

It was awesome! Very friendly faculty and easy going interviewers. LOVE it!

Good! What was the experience like? Did they do any of the normal activities such as drawing, ethical scenario, video recording, etc...? And how long was it?

Good! What was the experience like? Did they do any of the normal activities such as drawing, ethical scenario, video recording, etc...? And how long was it?

No they just talked about the school, had some students there for us to ask questions to, and then we had 2 separate one on one interviews.

Interview is on Monday! Any tips would be much appreciated :) UMKC is one of my top schools!

My interview is also Monday! I wanted to ask if both of the interviews are with faculty?

Interview is on Monday! Any tips would be much appreciated :) UMKC is one of my top schools!
Honestly, Just be yourself and do not overthink things. Just remember, you were picked for an interview for a reason! It was pretty laid back as far as interviews go in my opinion. Not sure how they are doing it now but it was just a 1 minute recording that they use to put a face to the name, a tour around, and then in a room with about 12 others to go over financial aid...etc. If there are more ?'s I will try and answer.

Had my UMKC sod interview this past Monday virtually and it was pretty low stress. We had a few presentations and then 2 faculty interviews. They are only 20 minutes but they go by so fast lol. They really just want to have a conversation and get to see your motivations! Very low stress!

Does the interview day actually last 5 hours? And what did you guys say for your 1 minute video?

Does the interview day actually last 5 hours? And what did you guys say for your 1 minute video?
The actual interviews are like 20 minutes long. The interview day is from 12-4 I believe and you’ll get presentations and a chance to speak with current dental students.

Okay just making sure it was not an error like it was for Univ Utah on their ADEA essays. I had a moment of paranoia :eek:
That was an error?!? I knew something was up! Did they announce a way to fix it, or a place where we could extend our responses?

Interview #6
Notification Date: 10/5
Method of Notification: Email
Residency: Texas
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/23
Application complete date: 06/30
GPA (science, overall): 3.70, 3.82
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/19/22/29/none
Dates of Interview: Oct 19
Method of interview: Virtual

Does anyone know if interview invites are still going out?

when did you get your interview invite?
I got the invite Sept. 23rd and interviewed on Oct. 5th. It was a super quick turnaround, so don't mess around with that supplemental application they'll send you. It takes a lot of time, but I also felt like it helped the interviewers get to know me better since all of that can't be squeezed into your 20 minute interview.

Anybody get an email saying they're being reserved for 2nd round interviews?