University of Michigan Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

coolguy07

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who out there is applying to the University of Michigan School of Dentistry Class of 2025?! Go Blue!!

:soexcited:Be sure to pay the secondary fee

Entering Class Profile (Middle of Page)

:alien: UMich Official Social Media
-Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Umichdent
-Instagram: UMich School of Dentistry (@umichdentistry) • Instagram photos and videos
-YouTube: UMichDent

:banana:School: UMich Dental Students Blog
https://wolverinebytes.org

:corny: [IMPORTANT] Previous years' threads
University of Michigan School of Dentistry - Previous threads

:wow: Link to interview prep: University of Michigan School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
-Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants!
- For interview prep, I would highly recommend reading some of these ethical dilemmas (scroll to the bottom where it says ethical dilemmas)

Check out these youtube videos to learn more about UMich School of Dentistry!

Members don't see this ad.

GOOD LUCK! GO BLUE!

Reactions: 1 user
Here is some more information that might be useful:
UMich is graded (a few classes will be pass/fail)
During the D4 year, we will be able to serve our community by doing a 12 week Community Outreach at various locations throughout the state of Michigan
UMich is under construction right now, it should be ready by mid-2022!
In the 2019-2020 cycle, the first invitation for interview was sent on 8/5. The first interview was held on Sept 13th!
In the 2019-2020 cycle, acceptances were made via a phone call on December 2nd!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back? I'm worried because they have yet to receive my DAT score , idk if that will have a negative effect on my application

Has anyone heard back? I'm worried because they have yet to receive my DAT score , idk if that will have a negative effect on my application

No, I haven’t heard anything from them besides my app being complete since June. A previous post says last year they sent out interview invites 8/5, since this cycle started 15 days late I would expect something around 8/20.

Current D3 at Umich, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Is it true that if you Apply late ( by late I mean your app is complete with DAT and all mid-August) your chances of an interview are very low
I don't think that is true. Back when I applied, mid-August wasn't that late. They have plenty of interviews in October, November, and I think another 2 post-December. If you have a strong application applying in August shouldn't be a problem at all.
When I was a Junior in college I applied to a few schools super late (Mid-November) and I managed to get an interview. It was at UoP, not Michigan... and I didn't get accepted. All that to say if you have a good application and it is in by a reasonable date (August) you have a good shot at getting an interview.

Current D3 at Umich, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

-Are your chances of an interview at Michigan reduced if you are part of a 7-year program at another college?
-How is Michigan planning interviews this year? They traditionally do MMI, so with video conference will they still do MMI?
-Are there good enough clinical opportunities at Michigan? Few have said that specialty college takes interesting cases so not enough clinical experience and many people who want to go clinical route have to do AEGD.
-Michigan is ranked at the top by many but is that due to excellent research
-Any specific suggestions on how to have a strong showing interview?

Thank you!

-Are your chances of an interview at Michigan reduced if you are part of a 7-year program at another college?
-How is Michigan planning interviews this year? They traditionally do MMI, so with video conference will they still do MMI?
-Are there good enough clinical opportunities at Michigan? Few have said that specialty college takes interesting cases so not enough clinical experience and many people who want to go clinical route have to do AEGD.
-Michigan is ranked at the top by many but is that due to excellent research
-Any specific suggestions on how to have a strong showing interview?

Thank you!
1) I am not familiar with the 7-year programs, so I can't answer.
2) I am also not directly or indirectly involved with interviews. Considering students are hardly allowed in the building I would be surprised if interviews weren't all virtual. But again, it's above my pay-grade.
3) The clinical opportunities are ok. You never place an implant, all you do is make the surgical guide and plan the restoration (if it isn't complicated) Endo is terrible! You don't get to do any until your 4th year and then you only get to do 2 canals (I think, might be 3). And we only get to do anterior teeth that are straight forwards. EVERYTHING else goes to grad endo. Most everything else is pretty average. We do start in the clinic Winter of D2 year, which gives us a little more time, but honestly, with Covid19 it has screwed everything up (lost 5 months of clinic we will never get back). A lot of students either specialize or do a general residency.
4) Yes, it is almost exclusively due to research funding and papers published. It is not because we have the most high-tech stuff (we don't), or because the professors are super passionate about teaching us - most care more concerned with their research. Don't come here simply because "we're #1". There are better schools.
5) My suggestion is to do your research on the school, the program, and ask a lot of questions! Show them you know about the program, and ask specific questions. During the interview, you are picking the school just as much as the school is picking you. Play hard to get and ask good questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone got interview dates for the University of Michigan? I know many colleges send out interview invites already!

Interview #5
School: University of Michigan
Notification date: 9/16/2020
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IL
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/16
Application complete date: June
GPA (overall, science): 3.77,3.90
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/27/22/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/30 & 10/2 2 day interview
Method of Interview: Zoom

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a UMich dental interview and am confused as to the format. Am I correct in understanding that there will only be recorded responses and no actual conversational interview?

Interview #2
Residency: HI
GPA (overall, science): 3.96, 3.93
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/25/21/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/30 & 10/2 2 day interview

I only had those two...I assume there will be more but not sure when.

I just received a UMich dental interview and am confused as to the format. Am I correct in understanding that there will only be recorded responses and no actual conversational interview?
I was unsure of this as well. Anyone else have any input?

Interview #1
Residency: PA
GPA (overall, science): 3.71, 3.60
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/21/22/27/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/14 & 10/15 2 day interview

That is the impression I am getting. I haven't decided how I feel about it yet... :thinking:

Yeah I thought it was really weird how they didn't say anything about an inteview with faculty on the second day. I think it's too good to be true for a school like UMich to not have interviews with faculty so I assume it was just a mistake

Does anyone know if the Kira practice questions mirror the timing of the actual MMI? The practice gives you 1 minute to prepare and 2 minutes to respond which was much shorter than I expected
When did you get the email to register for that? I still haven’t gotten it. Should I call them?

Anyone do the Kira already? Personally not feeling too great about my responses... Only having 2 minutes to understand a complex issue and speak authoritatively felt really unfair

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone do the Kira already? Personally not feeling too great about my responses... Only having 2 minutes to understand a complex issue and speak authoritatively felt really unfair
I agree barely had time to finish reading the prompts let alone comprehend the actual question.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree barely had time to finish reading the prompts let alone comprehend the actual question.
What do you think the expectation for the MMI is? I tried my best to answer the question while being as comprehensive as I could but it was definitely rambly. I assume UMich has higher standards for students it is interested in and now I'm worried I blew my chance

Reactions: 2 users
I also found it so difficult to remain engaged just talking to a screen rather than conversing with a person. I think we're all in a similar boat as to the Kira MMI kinda sucking so at least there's that?

It felt like a dumpster fire inside of a train wreck.. to say the least... I was and stumbling so much and I dont do that omgggggg. Also I wish it was in person because the interviewer asks questions on your responses which makes it a bit easier. I was jsut repeating and stumbling

Last edited:
reading everyone's responses have made me feel a lot better haha. I thought the MMI format was horrendous. I dont know how they expected us to read 3-5 long paragraphs, internalize the information, and plan a response in 2 minutes. Good luck to all of us because I felt as I completely blew that interview:( its a shame because Michigan was my dream school

Reactions: 3 users
I just found out that UMich students have a 8-5pm 5 days a week work week and I was wondering if anyone knew how students avoid burnout. It seems really intense.

wow! how did you feel? was this time enough? were the question like medical ethics scenarios?
You know we signed the confidentiality agreement. We're held accountable to the school to not provide any information about the interview. Just saying.

Does anyone have any thoughts on if there will be another round of interview invites sent out anytime soon? Thanks in advance!

Interview #4
Notification date: 10/08/2020
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/11
Application complete date: July 16 (received email from UMich saying app complete)
GPA (overall, science): 3.90, 3.85
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/22/24/28/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/28 MMI & 10/29 Virtual School Visit

I just found out that UMich students have a 8-5pm 5 days a week work week and I was wondering if anyone knew how students avoid burnout. It seems really intense.
To make you feel a little better, I am a current D1 and am in the thick of it as we speak. We do have classes from 8-5 every week, but there's many breaks built into that schedule. For example, today (Friday) we didn't have lecture until 10am, then half of the class is going in for sim clinic from noon-3 (so the other half of the class has free time), then a class after that from 3-4. So today I am busy from 10-4, but given covid, the lectures for today were prerecorded and you can work ahead (or do them at a later time) if you wish. The class schedule is really not that bad or as intense as they make it seem.

3660FA4A-4A23-4F87-888A-4547A76C10E3.jpeg

Interview #4
Notification date: 10/08/2020
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/11
Application complete date: July 16 (received email from UMich saying app complete)
GPA (overall, science): 3.90, 3.85
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/22/24/28/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/28 MMI & 10/29 Virtual School Visit
So UMichigan is still sending out interviews in waves? I was concerned since I thought they send out every interview in September.

So UMichigan is still sending out interviews in waves? I was concerned since I thought they send out every interview in September.
I'm not sure .. but if it helps when I scheduled my interview the earliest day available was in the last week of October. So if they are only interviewing in Oct this may be one of the last dates. But they may go through Nov too?

I'm not sure .. but if it helps when I scheduled my interview the earliest day available was in the last week of October. So if they are only interviewing in Oct this may be one of the last dates. But they may go through Nov too?
Keep in mind this cycle is completely different than any other cycle from the past! I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan changed their schedule.

I feel like I totally bummed the interview . I really needed more time to come up with a good answer...

• Sad