This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdnpremed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I responded to this but my post got deleted by GoSpursGo.

Bit authoritarian if you ask me. Very off-putting.

I did not curse or defame you.

Simply suggested that you have to consider your capacity to perform in medical school and address your motivations.

Many of us get in this predicament of going to medical school finding ourselves in debt and no option to get out because we are trapped.

I maintain my stance that you have to ask why your performance was what it was and if you thinking you will be able to make it through medical school. Was it a lack of trying or aptitude.

Let us see if this one gets deleted.

Sydney uses GPA as a hurdle only. Other schools will look at GPA at least to some degree, but as long as you interview well I don't think you'll run into any issues. I would recommend applying to a bunch of schools though just in case. I have a 2.79 GPA and 521 MCAT and was accepted to Flinders, Deakin, Griffith, and UQ. I did not receive any rejections (other than Sydney for being out of country but hopefully that won't be an issue next year). This did not come up in any interviews, most use a modified MMI format.

I agree that it's important to do some self reflection before entering medical school. But I think your MCAT score shows that you likely can make it if you apply yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sydney uses GPA as a hurdle only. Other schools will look at GPA at least to some degree, but as long as you interview well I don't think you'll run into any issues. I would recommend applying to a bunch of schools though just in case. I have a 2.79 GPA and 521 MCAT and was accepted to Flinders, Deakin, Griffith, and UQ. I did not receive any rejections (other than Sydney for being out of country but hopefully that won't be an issue next year). This did not come up in any interviews, most use a modified MMI format.

I agree that it's important to do some self reflection before entering medical school. But I think your MCAT score shows that you likely can make it if you apply yourself.
Jeez that mcat score tho! Do you think it was your amazing mcat that may have gotten your gpa overlooked or do you think you could have gotten by with a normal-high mcat (512-518)

Jeez that mcat score tho! Do you think it was your amazing mcat that may have gotten your gpa overlooked or do you think you could have gotten by with a normal-high mcat (512-518)
I don't know about UQ Ochsner--not sure if you're from the US or not so don't know if this applies. I was initially wait listed there so if this was a more normal year (I think more people than usual are likely to be turning down acceptances) and if I had a lower MCAT I might not have made it.

For the other Australian schools, my sense is I probably would have been fine with an MCAT in that range. They're less selective because they receive fewer applications. If you have your stats already though, I would email Amanda at Oztrekk (you don't need to be Canadian to work with them!) and she can help you evaluate your competitiveness since they track their applicants' stats.

holy **** that mcat tho

• Haha
holy **** that mcat tho
Haha thanks :) but MCAT isn't everything, I wasn't able to get into a US MD school last year. There's a lot of extra semi-relevant stuff you have to do for the US, but fortunately most Australian schools don't care about any of it!