This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

albb28

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think u should do in person nonclinical if possible.. Similar stats to you and i'd say you don't really need to apply DO unless you want to absolutely cover your bases.

Get the primary care shadowing to bump you past 50 hours of shadowing. I would recommend non-clinical volunteering to the underserved. Online tutoring is not getting out of an academic environment (which you have ample experience in with your research). SIU takes students from south of I-80, I don’t believe you fit that.

I suggest:

UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Albert Einstein
Emory
Vermont
Jefferson
Colorado
Tufts
USF Morsani
Miami
Western Michigan
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Rochester
SLU
Hackensack
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Mayo
Northwestern
Iowa
UMass
UVA
Stony Brook

Members don't see this ad :)
Get the primary care shadowing to bump you past 50 hours of shadowing. I would recommend non-clinical volunteering to the underserved. Online tutoring is not getting out of an academic environment (which you have ample experience in with your research). SIU takes students from south of I-80, I don’t believe you fit that.

I suggest:

UIC
Rosalind Franklin
Albert Einstein
Emory
Vermont
Jefferson
Colorado
Tufts
USF Morsani
Miami
Western Michigan
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Rochester
SLU
Hackensack
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Mayo
Northwestern
Iowa
UMass
UVA
Stony Brook
Thank you for the advice. Would my clinical experience going into apps be okay? I feel that it's low. I also wanted to ask how it would be taken if I emphasized the clinical aspects (mental health, physical screenings, EKGs, phlebotomy, vitals) of my research? I don't work in a hospital, but our participants come to us in our lab, but I feel that talking with them and doing these screenings has made me a better communicator and better able to do some of these communicative things in clinical settings.

Thank you for the advice. Would my clinical experience going into apps be okay? I feel that it's low. I also wanted to ask how it would be taken if I emphasized the clinical aspects (mental health, physical screenings, EKGs, phlebotomy, vitals) of my research? I don't work in a hospital, but our participants come to us in our lab, but I feel that talking with them and doing these screenings has made me a better communicator and better able to do some of these communicative things in clinical settings.
It should be enough, especially if you did it over a longer time period. You could discuss those aspects and let the admissions reader decide. It is important that they are patients and not just research participants.

I'll also suggest some in-person bonafide community service that does not involve teaching/tutoring and could get you off campus. Even if you like doing online tutoring, that's not going to tell me much about your willingness to be among people with needs where you are not coming in as a "savior" or an "expert."

You shouldn't need to apply DO, but you need to be dedicated to serving outside Chicagoland if you want to shoot for SIU.

It should be enough, especially if you did it over a longer time period. You could discuss those aspects and let the admissions reader decide. It is important that they are patients and not just research participants.
Yeah that's where I was unsure, because the people coming in are participants, but all of the clinical stuff is under the supervision of a doctor. Thank you for the advice.

I'll also suggest some in-person bonafide community service that does not involve teaching/tutoring and could get you off campus. Even if you like doing online tutoring, that's not going to tell me much about your willingness to be among people with needs where you are not coming in as a "savior" or an "expert."

You shouldn't need to apply DO, but you need to be dedicated to serving outside Chicagoland if you want to shoot for SIU.
Thank you for the advice! I'll be sure to get started on doing in-person community service prior to applying. Besides getting the community service, preparing my application sufficiently (personal statement, writing, etc.) and forming connections with schools that I'm interested in, is there anything you suggest I could do prior to next cycle, such as any activities?