Mikethedentist

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Hey guys..always look at this forum and it never disappoints! Hoping I can get some help if I should apply this cycle or not with my stats...

3.3 GPA
19AA/18TS/21PAT however I have a 16 in my bio section

Lots of extra curriculars and volunteer work

Thanks!!

redhotchiligochu

D3
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
USA
Status
Dental Student
Rats, bio was my lowest section too:( but I have a 21AA to (hopefully) balance it out.

Some schools want above a 17 for the science sections. Like ateria said, a retake wouldn't hurt.

Hey guys..always look at this forum and it never disappoints! Hoping I can get some help if I should apply this cycle or not with my stats...

3.3 GPA

Thanks!!

NavyDDS1990

5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2014
Status
Dental Student

3.3 GPA

Thanks!!
Yea, I think retake is necessary

Hi Im Dent

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2015
Status
Dental Student
You will definitely need a retake.

buckeye4lyfe

2+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental

3.3 GPA

Thanks!!
I know one person who got in this last cycle with a 16 in bio. He was accepted December 1st to 3 schools. However, he did have a 3.6 and an exceptional application besides that. So it's really subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

pgex2t

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2015
Status
Dental Student
It would be irresponsible to say you do not need to retake.

Reactions: LuckBloodandSweat

DreamingOfDentistry

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm not one of those incredibly stellar applicants like many who are on SDN, who say a 19 is too low or whatever but my opinion (and will most likely be most adcoms opinion if you call them) is that a 16 is too low. I mean I had a 17 in Gen Chem on my first DAT and I was told that was too low. I would say BIO is more important than chem (according to doc toothaches info too) and a 16 in bio is no bueno.

Fets

D2
2+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I think most of us agree it's a bit too low since it's an important section.

One thing to keep in mind is that since you haven't applied yet, it'll most likely be another few weeks at the minimum before everything is verified and schools start reviewing your application. Not that it's really considered too late in the cycle yet, but you probably would have wanted to apply as early as possible if you were going in with a 16 in Bio.

kuef1pet

5+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I got a 18 in bio first round and 16 in bio on my retake (was going to study bio hard last week before dat but had family death and couldn't push back any longer). Had 20 AA average with a 3.7 gpa and got accepted to 3 out of six schools this last cycle. Apply to schools carefully and you have a chance but I agree with everyone else that it is a red flag and with a little lower gpa will be harder as well.

DC206R

5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2013
Status
Dental Student
Retake for sure. With a 3.3, you'll need to get 20's across the board to really increase your chances.