• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

16 or 32GB Ipad?

pk62281

Mar 20, 2010
  1. Pre-Dental
    I'm going to get an Ipad for dental school and use it for notetaking. I'll either wear the goofy glove with a stylus or bring in an external keyboard. Anyways, do you think the 16GB will have enough memory to hold all the materials? Or should I get the 32.

dentalprodigy

Mr. Awesome
    10+ Year Member
    Nov 15, 2009
    South Jersey, NJ
    1. Dental Student
      Get the cheapest option & take notes on Evernote if you are concerned about space.besides text documents don't take that much space. as long as you don't save movies on it, you should be fine.

If u don't like Evernote, just save your notes on dropbox cloud drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

pk62281

Mar 20, 2010
      1. Pre-Dental
        Get the cheapest option & take notes on Evernote if you are concerned about space.besides text documents don't take that much space. as long as you don't save movies on it, you should be fine.

If u don't like Evernote, just save your notes on dropbox cloud drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Won't I need to save powerpoint slides and books?

About the Ads

Kahr

Moderator Emeritus
        Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Navy
        Air Force
        Feb 1, 2008
        Okinawa, Japan
        1. Dentist
          Won't I need to save powerpoint slides and books?

You could just use a cloud service (like the other post mentioned), or keep stuff on a separate computer, etc, so you would probably be fine with the 16gb version.

But if you're worried about it, just go with the 32gb version, problem solved, minus $100 or something. Always better to have peace of mind.

pk62281

Mar 20, 2010
          1. Pre-Dental
            You could just use a cloud service (like the other post mentioned), or keep stuff on a separate computer, etc, so you would probably be fine with the 16gb version.

But if you're worried about it, just go with the 32gb version, problem solved, minus $100 or something. Always better to have peace of mind.

true, whats another $100 when I'll be 400k in debt

periopocket

10+ Year Member
            Aug 26, 2011
            North East
            1. Dentist
              Just got a 16gb a few days ago, I was debating the same thing as you were...FYI apple sells 16gb Ipad 2 refurbished with 1 year warranty for an awesome $350...I already have about 25 pdfs on here, and 30 power points. If you don't dl lots of music or videos 16 is not bad. Also there are external memory sticks you can get for under 20$, but 32 gb is legit as hell to!! have fun with it

dantemac

10+ Year Member
              Jan 16, 2011
              Philadelphia, PA
              1. Dental Student
                You should not need 32 GB. The two things that would take up that much space, movies and music, you won't even have time for. And if you do need music, use your ipod. If you want videos, get netflix.I function now paying for spotify and netflix and I am fine without owning any of the media and saving storage space.

GobBluth

Apr 8, 2012
                  Or, just invest the extra cash in getting a lighter, thinner, longer-lasting laptop. The iPad is just an enormous iPod touch. I had the first one, assumed I would be able to take notes & etc. easily with it, and ended up hating it and getting rid of it within a few months. Tablet technology isn't anywhere near truly useful yet for personal computing, IMO. The iPad was designed for consumption of content (videos, reading, web-browsing), not production of it.

Midwestern Blot

All-American
                  10+ Year Member
                  Sep 3, 2009
                  Iowa City
                  1. Medical Student
                  2. Resident [Any Field]
                    If you plan on using it for an e-reader would the 32GB be worth it? I don't plan on using a lot of music or movies. How does the cloud work? can you put any files into it and not have to save much physically on your iPad?

dman1236

Apr 23, 2012
                    1. Pre-Dental
                      I've got a 16 gb iPad2 that I've used for school this past year and it's been amazing. It's all I take to class. I use the app Notability which has been mentioned. It lets me upload PDFs and PPTs from Dropbox and then handwrite/type all over them(for anatomy, physio, biochem, histo, neuro,...). Check out vids on the internet to see how the handwriting thing works- it's really nice. It also records audio during class if I want. I've loved taking notes on my iPad in class. I'll admit when I first bought it I justified it by saying I would use it for school but wasn't sure how much I'd be able to actually use it for school. However, w/ Notability (around $3 I think), a stylus ($20), and a few different text book apps it's great for school.

As for the 16gb size.. it works for me. I've got a years worth of school stuff and my Notability app only takes up 420 MB w/ all it has in it. Aside from school stuff I've got a decent amount of music, 4 movies, some big games, and lots of random apps and I've got 8 GB available. A 32 GB would be neat, but I would probably just fill the extra space w/ movies.

About the Ads
                      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                      7. This thread is locked.