17 DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentalgirl00

Reaction score
Is all hope lost with a 17AA DAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

A 17 is going to be well below averages for just about every dental school. Being admitted isn't impossible, but that score would be a liability in your application. I'd retake.

Reactions: 2 users
I see that you are an URM, so if the rest of your file is good (good PS, good hours) you should be a decent applicant for Howard/Meharry and a few others. Maybe try UNE, LECOM, Western, Midwestern.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Scratch that^. 20+ score in all categories is competitive.

Scratch that^. 20+ score in all categories is competitive.

While this is true, it’s not entirely accurate.
I had a 19AA with 18TS and 17QR

Given I also had 20+ on the other sections.
But I got 11 interviews and quite a few acceptances with that. So 20+ is competitive, but not always a needed or make it or break it score. Anywhere between 18-20 can be. Even 17 can be.

But this is my response to predentalgirl00, all hope isn’t lost. The catch though is it limits your options and drastically increases the cost you’ll pay of those options. Majority of your options will be private and really expensive schools. So moral of the story, I’d retake. It only increases your chances at more competitive schools that are cheaper. Right now, it’s not worth it for those private, expensive schools. The debt is crushing.

Reactions: 3 users
I see that you are an URM, so if the rest of your file is good (good PS, good hours) you should be a decent applicant for Howard/Meharry and a few others. Maybe try UNE, LECOM, Western, Midwestern.

I agree and if you are a URM, Meharry and Howard will likely give you a chance if you don’t want to wait another cycle & they are cheaper than most dental schools.. I would apply there if you haven’t already, see if you get in this cycle and make plans to also retake in the event that you don’t get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
While this is true, it’s not entirely accurate.
I had a 19AA with 18TS and 17QR

Given I also had 20+ on the other sections.
But I got 11 interviews and quite a few acceptances with that. So 20+ is competitive, but not always a needed or make it or break it score. Anywhere between 18-20 can be. Even 17 can be.

But this is my response to predentalgirl00, all hope isn’t lost. The catch though is it limits your options and drastically increases the cost you’ll pay of those options. Majority of your options will be private and really expensive schools. So moral of the story, I’d retake. It only increases your chances at more competitive schools that are cheaper. Right now, it’s not worth it for those private, expensive schools. The debt is crushing.
Why would you tell OP to score less than 20? The average score of matriculants is 21. If OP decides to do a retake, so why not aim high and give OP a better shot. No one knows your situation. The rest of your app was probably strong for getting so many interviews. It certainly wasn’t because of your DAT score.

Also, I agree with the people above. Howard and Meharry plus maybe some of the private schools with large class sizes.

Last edited:
You can scratch Howard, which requires a minimum DAT of 18 (in each of the 8 categories).

Don’t listen to this, I’ve read Howard threads within the last 5 years and they accepted 17’s I’ve also seen them accept people with 14 in QR... do not scratch Howard. They make exceptions, their website isn’t entirely accurate. Apply there. Their average DAT scores is a bout a 17.9 so depending on what you scores in the science sections I’d say give it a shot... if most of your low scores are in the sciences then that would be a different story.

Last edited:
Why would you tell OP to score less than 20? The average score of matriculants is 21. If OP decides to do a retake, so why not aim high and give OP a better shot. No one knows your situation. The rest of your app was probably strong for getting so many interviews. It certainly wasn’t because of your DAT score.

Also, I agree with the people above. Howard and Meharry plus maybe some of the private schools with large class sizes.
First, that again is inaccurate. The average is around 20AA. which means roughly half of the 66 schools in the U.S. have an average DAT score of less than 20. (per CODA)

Second, I wasn't telling OP to not shoot for a 20, just was giving them a realistic idea that 20 isn't always needed to gain acceptance, basically answering the question of "all hope being lost" which you falsely painted. It definitely helps, and only increases your options if you do get above a 20. but its not an end all, make or break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
First, that again is inaccurate. The average is around 20AA. which means roughly half of the 66 schools in the U.S. have an average DAT score of less than 20. (per CODA)

To be fair, the 2018 stats said it was 20.5, which technically is closer to 21 than 20. 2017 was a 20.4.

However, I agree that a 20+ isn't always needed, but you can't say that it shouldn't be the goal.

To be fair, the 2018 stats said it was 20.5, which technically is closer to 21 than 20. 2017 was a 20.4.

However, I agree that a 20+ isn't always needed, but you can't say that it shouldn't be the goal.
In my original reply, the point made was answering the question “is all hope lost.” In short I answered no. And addressed the question but did suggest a retake. If we did want to take the reasoning further and go off of the hypothetical that OP retook the test, then yes retake of 20-21+ DAT would be ideal. Completely agree. It would do nothing but benefit the applicant especially in the long term and options of schools with potentially less debt.

Again, I never said OP shouldn’t shoot for a 20. Just was addressing the main question.

Aim for 30s, study like you want 30s, prepare like you want 30s, and I am sure you'll get a score you can be proud of

No dont think like that it’s ok. You were brave enough to take a beast of a test. You know what it’s like now. I don’t know where you stand, but if I were you, I’d take my time study for it. As 2thDoc11 said, study like you want 30s. You have now until May 2021 to study. You got this!!!

Last cycle, I applied with an 18AA and wasn't accepted into any programs (but, keep in mind, my OC score was a 15 and my gpa is below average). I'm applying again this cycle and am retaking the DAT next week after an intense 6 weeks of studying and lots of practice! Don't mean to scare you with that first thing, I made the mistake of not studying enough and only applying to 6 programs. As many have stated before, I think it would be best to retake it based on my own experience from last cycle! Best of luck to you!