17 MCAT what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unoitdude78

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really frustrated as it seems I am incapable of doing well on the MCAT regardless how much I try. I have taken this stupid test 3 times and have only managed to get a 17. For each one, I studied countless hours each day and have taken too many practice tests to even count. Still, I end up being in the 10th percentile. In school, I work at two different tutoring centers and everyone asks me for help in chemistry, physics, and math. I even have helped people out in bio. I have a descent GPA and I really am not stupid, but for some reason this test just doesn't work out for me. My problem is with the whole standardized tests...In high school I was in the top 10% of my class yet I had a pathetic 22 ACT. Basically, what can I do? I certainly don't want to go to the Caribbean. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

I am really frustrated as it seems I am incapable of doing well on the MCAT regardless how much I try. I have taken this stupid test 3 times and have only managed to get a 17. For each one, I studied countless hours each day and have taken too many practice tests to even count. Still, I end up being in the 10th percentile. In school, I work at two different tutoring centers and everyone asks me for help in chemistry, physics, and math. I even have helped people out in bio. I have a descent GPA and I really am not stupid, but for some reason this test just doesn't work out for me. My problem is with the whole standardized tests...In high school I was in the top 10% of my class yet I had a pathetic 22 ACT. Basically, what can I do? I certainly don't want to go to the Caribbean. Please help!

Do you run out of time and get most of the ones near the end wrong or do you finish but get a lot wrong throughout the entire test? Is English your first language? What books are you using to review?

that sucks. I don't even think you could make it to a Top 3 Caribbean school with a 17 MCAT: i could be wrong though.

If you haven't done one of those in-class prep courses, may I suggest doing that? Yes, they're expensive but...[you know the rest.]

Sorry to hear this. The MCAT is one of the toughest entrance exams in the world, and I believe the toughest in the US. Keep working at it. If you really want to become a physician, your desire will lead you there. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you run out of time and get most of the ones near the end wrong or do you finish but get a lot wrong throughout the entire test? Is English your first language? What books are you using to review?

I usually pace myself pretty well throughout the MCAT and usually have an extra minute left over. Yes, English is my first language. As for what I used to prepare, I used the Pearson Book which seemed to have worked for my friend who got a 30 from studying from that exact same book.

I usually pace myself pretty well throughout the MCAT and usually have an extra minute left over. Yes, English is my first language. As for what I used to prepare, I used the Pearson Book which seemed to have worked for my friend who got a 30 from studying from that exact same book.

If you're not running out of time, then a 17 points to a bad content foundation. You mention just one book? It's probably not enough for the MCAT. I'd recommend getting the Physics/OChem/GChem/Biology/Verbal books from Princeton Review, Exam Krackers, or Berkeley Review (if you really want a good content base). I've never heard of Pearson, so I don't really know what to say about it, but I'm sure one book encompassing all that's on the MCAT is not nearly enough.

Most people read 5-10 books (BR is 9 books totaling thousands of pages) for the MCAT, so I'm guessing this is where your weakness lies. Taking some diagnostic exams in each of the sections (I think Princeton offers good ones) will probably highlight sections where you're suffering the most from lack of content.

These are the content outlines for the BS and PS sections published by AAMC. If you can't write a paragraph or so about each bullet point, then you need more content review:

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf

The good news is that if that really is your problem, it's easily fixed by getting the right books and studying the right way. Have you seen the stickied thread on the MCAT study schedule that most people here follow? Here's a link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

Getting good grades in your prerequisites is a major plus. Don't cram before exams, try to really hone your skills the first time around. People who score really high are the top students in those classes and really know how to be a gunner.

If you're bad at all standardized tests that means you have poor test taking skills. You need to work on those before you write again. Also, as someone else pointed out, a 17 indicates poor content foundation. If you've only used one book to study and kept doing that for each retake, there's your problem. It doesn't matter what your friend got, everyone's different. Ive heard plenty of stories of people who studied only 2-4 weeks with almost nothing and still got 40+. That doesn't mean the same approach to studying will work for anyone else.

that sucks. I don't even think you could make it to a Top 3 Caribbean school with a 17 MCAT: i could be wrong though.

If you haven't done one of those in-class prep courses, may I suggest doing that? Yes, they're expensive but...[you know the rest.]

At least a few of the top Caribbean schools don't even ask for an MCAT.

If you're not running out of time, then a 17 points to a bad content foundation. You mention just one book? It's probably not enough for the MCAT. I'd recommend getting the Physics/OChem/GChem/Biology/Verbal books from Princeton Review, Exam Krackers, or Berkeley Review (if you really want a good content base). I've never heard of Pearson, so I don't really know what to say about it, but I'm sure one book encompassing all that's on the MCAT is not nearly enough.

Most people read 5-10 books (BR is 9 books totaling thousands of pages) for the MCAT, so I'm guessing this is where your weakness lies. Taking some diagnostic exams in each of the sections (I think Princeton offers good ones) will probably highlight sections where you're suffering the most from lack of content.

These are the content outlines for the BS and PS sections published by AAMC. If you can't write a paragraph or so about each bullet point, then you need more content review:

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85566/data/bstopics.pdf
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/85562/data/ps_topics.pdf

The good news is that if that really is your problem, it's easily fixed by getting the right books and studying the right way. Have you seen the stickied thread on the MCAT study schedule that most people here follow? Here's a link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

Op this is probably your best bet. I'm sorry this keep going badly. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually I'm sure!

How do you usually do on your practice tests? What kind of mistakes do you make? Is it because you simply couldn't recall material, drew incorrect conclusions, couldn't understand passages, etc? You need to ask yourself this and target your weaknesses.

17 after three tries? Thats more than just test-taking issues man.
Get in a structured MCAT test prep class and try to actually keep up with the syllabus. I think that structure could do wonders for you.

You claim you know the sciences yet you get a 17?

If that is true, then you have a problem tackling multiple choice problems (there are tactics in solving multiple choice problems that you must be good at). I would personally go through all of the EK 1001 books. Going through all those questions will give you the experience you need to tackle multiple choice problems, and on top of that a better understanding of the concepts! The EK 1001 books helped me out a TON.

What were you getting on practice tests? I never have understood why someone who consistently score low on their practice tests and expect the real deal to be any different. I get that some people don't take standardized tests well, but a 17 means that you probably don't have a grasp on the material...at all. It is probably an upper-ward climb from here, but I would recommend learning, studying, and practicing for the MCAT the exact opposite way that you have been the last 3 times.