17 UF anesthesia residents test positive for COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Interesting story. I imagine OR staffing will be interesting the next few weeks. Hope all are well.

Members don't see this ad.

Hope all are well as well. But boy oh boy, a party/gathering?! Come on. They should know better. Heck, I haven’t even been inside my parents’ home or given them a hug since covid...

Reactions: 1 user
Heck, I haven’t even been inside my parents’ home or given them a hug since covid...

Same, they treat me like a beggar. They would give me food outside but I can't go in their house or touch them.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is so stupid it’s impressive!

UF also runs mega lean with few extra folks lying around (lunch breaks aren’t exactly guaranteed), so if they are at full capacity this will be poorly absorbed unless they can conscript residents off electives and fellows into the OR to cover.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
How do you know they didn’t get it at work, in the lounge, at a trump rally, or from working in close quarters to covid patients? Did they test everyone or just the people suspected of going to a party? There are literally millions of people who have covid. I’m not sure it’s fair to burn them at the stake. I’m sure lawyers are clamoring to find patients that got covid After elective surgery there hoping to blame the health care system.

Reactions: 6 users
How do you know they didn’t get it at work, in the lounge, at a trump rally, or from working in close quarters to covid patients? Did they test everyone or just the people suspected of going to a party? There are literally millions of people who have covid. I’m not sure it’s fair to burn them at the stake. I’m sure lawyers are clamoring to find patients that got covid After elective surgery there hoping to blame the health care system.

All 17? I didn’t really eat lunch for a month and half, just because I didn’t trust anyone or anything. If I don’t eat, I don’t have to take off my n95.

We intubated all covid patients, not as many NY. Maybe 50+, no one from our department got covid. Didn’t get from the story that they are short of PPEs. We were rationed on our N95. I had a few that I wore for about a week, and used UV to disinfect.

Not victim blaming or shaming. But 17 from the same department all at the same time ? there is something not kosher going on.

Reactions: 3 users
You’re right- no one can say how it happened with certainty. But there is a reason you avoid large gatherings. And this was still a dumb move on the part of the party goers and organizers. As I said, they all should’ve known better.

The interns had spent the entire preceding week(s) together for orientation and training. That was the more likely source considering how quickly their symptoms showed up. However, the media decided to focus on the party because it makes for much a better headline and gets a more emotional response out of readers.

Hope they all make a swift recovery.
This was our worst fear when we started the academic year with new interns coming from areas of high prevalence.
Would not want to be their PD or chair right now.

Like others inferred - it's hard to say with certainty that they got this at the party. Where I am we are up in each other's personal space in the anesthesia workrooms, ORs, breakrooms, cafeterias, elevators, offices. It's hard to truly maintain social distancing in healthcare (and really in any personal service occupation). I'm surprised we haven't had more large groups of healthcare worker outbreaks. So far just small pockets.

That said... having a party during COVID was really poor judgment.

Reactions: 4 users
The interns had spent the entire preceding week(s) together for orientation and training. That was the more likely source considering how quickly their symptoms showed up. However, the media decided to focus on the party because it makes for much a better headline and gets a more emotional response out of readers.

I am more interested in what led to 17 residents to be infected.....

Were they not given the proper ppe? Were they not believe n95 could protect them? Were they all tested, and someone was false negative? They thought they were above the virus? They didn’t believe mask or ppe is needed?

I am not too excited nor cared about the party, but more concerned about what lead 17 very intellect individuals became another story.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not too excited nor cared about the party, but more concerned about what lead 17 very intellect individuals became another story.

Exactly. This would be a great case study. Practically speaking this could happen to any similar cohort of close-working people. Always in close proximity, pretty good-ish with PPE but not perfect, might have an outside of work party, tends to be high functioning and non-crazy.

I think it's part of the mentality of thinking you are young and invulnerable and also thinking that the likelihood of infection is low. Also, at that time things had been reopening for several weeks, so people had their guard down.

16 million cases in and you’re still wondering how? This isn’t a story. Same thing probably happening in dozens of hospitals without making the news. In NY covid positive residents were staffing ICUs.

If party attendees were the only ones who tested positive, that would point to the party. We had several outbreaks in bars during the one week this month they were open in my county.

There’s these events too.

Party Zero: How a Soirée in Connecticut Became a ‘Super Spreader’

16 million cases in and you’re still wondering how? This isn’t a story. Same thing probably happening in dozens of hospitals without making the news. In NY covid positive residents were staffing ICUs.

I know my own shop. I know from my old residency hospital that it didn’t happen to either departments. It probably happened for icu staff, but why not anesthesiologists?

Are we more careful? Are we more intelligent? I don’t know. Please point me to another anesthesia department that has more than 10% infection rate. (I only assume UF has more than 200 people, even at 400, find me another place that has 5% infection rate).

Reactions: 2 users
I know my own shop. I know from my old residency hospital that it didn’t happen to either departments. It probably happened for icu staff, but why not anesthesiologists?

Are we more careful? Are we more intelligent? I don’t know. Please point me to another anesthesia department that has more than 10% infection rate. (I only assume UF has more than 200 people, even at 400, find me another place that has 5% infection rate).

At least 340 resident physicians in New York City have confirmed or suspected coronavirus cases, according to a new report that cites a lack of adequate testing and safety equipment among young doctors.

Taken during the height of the crisis last month, the survey of program directors identified 101 resident physicians testing positive and 163 “presumed” to have COVID-19 “based on symptoms but awaiting or unable to obtain testing.” Another 76 resident doctors had “suspected” virus infection.

The survey of program directors also shows that 15% of resident physicians failed to be quarantined even though they tested positive

Yea you must’ve outsmarted it. Solid work bro. Did you test for it? Hmmm. Asymptomatic carriers. Hmmm. If we didn’t test for coronavirus, we wouldn’t have any no that’s crazy.

Yea you must’ve outsmarted it. Solid work bro. Did you test for it? Hmmm. Asymptomatic carriers. Hmmm. If we didn’t test for coronavirus, we wouldn’t have any no that’s crazy.

Our whole department did test for a few weeks straight. We are all good, thank you for your concern. We don’t have 17 people tested positive all at the same time. I guess we were doing something right.

Were they anesthesiologists? And that was without proper ppes. I guess my ****ty ghetto hospital is doing alright than some of the ivory towers.

Not your bro. Something is not right, regardless if it was from a party or not. It can be all of them went to Trump event. I really don’t give a damn. I want to know why 17 anesthesiologists all got covid at the same time. It’s no different than if the whole department all got flu, TB at the same time. When they should know how to protect themselves. Then the next question is, if you have your work force/horses sick, did they transmit to patients. Who is ultimately the people who were at the receiving end of this unfortunate event.

But you do you, bro.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

A lot of hospitals are testing all staff - mine did. Nearly everyone was negative, and surprisingly almost everyone was negative for the antibody too - except for the well known prior positives. So I wonder whether the asymptomatic carriers are less prevalent in healthcare vs other populations. Also of note we have many COVID positive patients where I work, so I'm curious what happens when a small cohort of staff get it - do we in the hospital have more or less transmission than the general public?

Last edited:
Or protesting and looting..

I bet it was an end of residency party. Timing is perfect.
I think "beginning of residency party" is more likely since they just started and this just barely happened.

I think "beginning of residency party" is more likely since they just started and this just barely happened.
That's what he said. End of their residency party. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Word is that it was from an infected ACLS instructor...

Same, they treat me like a beggar. They would give me food outside but I can't go in their house or touch them.
I was allowed inside but had to stay away. We bumped elbows and promptly went to the patio.
Understandable as they are in their 70s. And since I sometimes work in Covid ICUs, they have a totally legit fear.

Like others inferred - it's hard to say with certainty that they got this at the party. Where I am we are up in each other's personal space in the anesthesia workrooms, ORs, breakrooms, cafeterias, elevators, offices. It's hard to truly maintain social distancing in healthcare (and really in any personal service occupation). I'm surprised we haven't had more large groups of healthcare worker outbreaks. So far just small pockets.

That said... having a party during COVID was really poor judgment.
Aren’t you wearing N95s at work? There’s a reason healthcare workers aren’t dying at the same rate as regular people. We take more precautions.

I was allowed inside but had to stay away. We bumped elbows and promptly went to the patio.
Understandable as they are in their 70s. And since I sometimes work in Covid ICUs, they have a totally legit fear.

i know you're in denial... sorry to be the one to break this to you, they don't love you.

• Haha
Aren’t you wearing N95s at work? There’s a reason healthcare workers aren’t dying at the same rate as regular people. We take more precautions.[/

Think about your anesthesia office/lounge, how close are you sitting? Masks on or off? How many people in a small space for lunch?

I’m mask (N95) on all day even in the lounge. Except when I’m eating and they’ve set up socially distanced single seat cafe tables on the patio outside our lounge. That’s where I eat. Some people do have their masks off in the lounge. At our sister hospital they had a small outbreak traced to a lounge.