18 years old GPA: 3.5 what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOGuyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to medical school soon. I'm 18 years old and I'm graduating this summer with a bachelors of science in biochemistry. My GPA is a 3.5. I'm also latino/hispanic.

EC:
-volunteering at hospital for more than a year approximately 6 hours a week
-more than 100+ hours of shadowing
-one semester of undergraduate research (doing another this summer in the same lab to finish up my research and hopefully get a publication)
-Went on a medical mission trip to Jamaica
-Played ice hockey since I was 7. Won states twice with my team and also came 2nd at nationals twice.
-volunteered also at numerous places including nursing homes, school libraries, and fundraisers for amsa.
-member of amsa

Assuming I do well on the MCAT what are my chances looking like? Also, is it bad to apply at such a young age? Finally, do medical schools look at your major and take that into consideration when looking at your GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What are your MCAT practice scores? sGPA? state of residence?

To answer your questions:

1. Assuming you do average on the MCAT (31) your chances will likely be good as a URM.
2. Yes, you will be at disadvantage since most med schools favor older (22+) applicants with more significant life experience and ECs.
3. Depends on the school. Biochem is usually considered to be middle of the road in terms of rigor.

Applying to medical school soon. I'm 18 years old and I'm graduating this summer with a bachelors of science in biochemistry. My GPA is a 3.5. I'm also latino/hispanic.

EC:
-one semester of undergraduate research (doing another this summer in the same lab to finish up my research and hopefully get a publication)
-Played ice hockey since I was 7. Won states twice with my team and also came 2nd at nationals twice.
-volunteered also at numerous places including nursing homes, school libraries, and fundraisers for amsa.
-member of amsa

Assuming I do well on the MCAT what are my chances looking like? Also, is it bad to apply at such a young age? Finally, do medical schools look at your major and take that into consideration when looking at your GPA?
You won't be discriminated against based on your age, but as with every applicant, you will be evaluated for evidence of maturity and for longevity of extracurriculars. You will not be given a break on EC expectations because you're young and will be expected to measure up with those having more years to accumulate relevant activities. Do you see where there is need and help out? Have you taken on peer leadership roles? Have you taken responsibility for teaching/coaching/TA/tutoring? Can you present yourself in a professional manner? Will you interview well?

That said, your active clinical experience and shadowing look very good (and hopefully a good chunk of the shadowing was with US physicians). Your dedication to hockey showcases teamwork, ability to work hard toward a goal, and dedication. Your research activity is below the average of about 1 year currently. You don't mention the total hours of nonmedical community service, but hopefully one of those causes is something you care about and have given a fair amount of time to for more than a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your MCAT practice scores? sGPA? state of residence?

To answer your questions:

1. Assuming you do average on the MCAT (31) your chances will likely be good as a URM.
2. Yes, you will be at disadvantage since most med schools favor older (22+) applicants with more significant life experience and ECs.
3. Depends on the school. Biochem is usually considered to be middle of the road in terms of rigor.

I haven't taken any mcat practice tests yet. My sGPA is higher than my cumulative GPA. I believe it's like a 3.6. Also I live in Florida

You're competitive for all low-medium tier programs, and all DO programs. MCAT will make or break you, naturally. Not all Latinos are URMs, BTW.

EC:
-member of amsa

Reactions: 1 user