1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

19/19/21

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by polf, Apr 14, 2007.

1. polf

Dental Student
    Results:
    Bio: 18
    Chem: 19
    Orgo: 19
    RC: 20
    QR: 20
    PAT: 21
    TS:19
    AA:19

Predictions yesterday were:
    Bio: 18
    Chem: 20
    Orgo: 18
    RC: 21
    QR: 24
    PAT: 21
    TS:19
    AA:20

these are my general observations, without going into exact details (please don't pm me asking for specific questions):

Bio: no need to worry. this was actually one of my more consistent scores. i got ~18 for the past few practice tests. You can't depend on Achiever, TopScore etc. though. better to study from straight from a bio textbook.

Chem: calculation stuff were easy, anything more than multiplying 3 things, they will write out like (22)(33)/(44)(33 etc.). I had the bad luck of getting a bunch of solubility stuff which was my only weakness

Orgo: almost entirely conceptual, actually easier than practice test. I wasted time memorizng formulas when I should have just relearned from book (like where and why electrons move to figure out anti, syn etc.)

PAT: basicically the same with excpetion of hole punch and angle ranking. those were ridicoulous. I usually finish the PAT section with 15 min to spare, not this time.

RC: as everyone said, its entirely different from the RC you have seen elsewhere. not much of the find the exact phrase in the passage type questions

QR: !!!!:mad: this was my best section. I was so good at word questions, but it seemed I got a geometry heavy one. You definitely need a math text, the geometry isn't the basic find circumference of a circle.

:cool:
    I'll probably end up taking it again in July (I hate this 90 day waiting period) I was really looking for a AA of 20 or 21... to make up for a gpa of overall3.4/sci3.2

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    good scores. you really want to go through all that trouble again just to increase a point in your AA?

4. Chrono1984

Chrono1984 Member

Dental Student
    Those are solid (and consistant) scores, don't let SDN or predents convince you otherwise. I wouldn't bother retaking.

Assuming your application is strong everywhere else (aside from the lower sGPA) you will get interviews.

However, don't let what I or anyone else say detract from your plan, if you are dead set on retaking, than do it.

Good luck this year

5. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!

Pre-Dental
    Yea, you are in the same boat as me!, I got a 21-TS/19-AA/20-PAT. I have also decided to take the test again. Hey, could you tell me how you studied for QR, seems like you knew your things for that section!!

Btw, if you know you can do better than what you got then go ahead and take it, only you know your potential!!

6. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    Good scores!

7. polf

Dental Student
    sorry, don't really have QR advice. (unless you want to take 27 credits of math in college? thats basically what helped me) but I can definitely tell you that the Kaplan book is lacking. That was my only reference when studying, and all of the stuff I missed today were concepts/formulas not in the Kaplan book.

8. DailyDrivenTJ

Pre-Dental
    Polf, if I were you, I would definitely retake it. You have both strong RC and QR scores which not many people improve in matter of weeks or months.

Your score is great but you can definitely do better judging from your RC and QR.

9. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero

Dental Student
    those are good scores, you dont have to retake.

10. polf

Dental Student
    I decided I'm retaking July 14th. I'm kind of borderline with my gpa, so a extra point or two does make a big difference. 19=average
    21=:) :) :)

11. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!

Pre-Dental
    YESSS!!!! I have someone who is in the same boat as me!!:thumbup: 21-23 is the goal, hopefully we will get it this time since I know what I need to focus on and you know wat you need to focus on!!

Good luck!!:D

12. mooredge

mooredge Junior Member

Dentist
    I'm was in a similar situation as you guys, and after applying this year and only getting waitlisted i've decided to retake the DAT. I took the DAT about 2 years ago Bio:21, Chem: 17, OChem: 17, QR: 21, RC: 21, PAT: 20, AA: 19, TS:19,

GPA 3.2

Obvisously i bombed the chem section which really brought down my AA. I had 3 interviews and I am now waitlisted at 2 schools. Just started studying again so i can be ready to retake the DAT in August if i don't get in. If you want to gaurantee that you'll get in somewhere, i would definitly take it again.

Just my 2 cents.