19 and preping for med school in 10 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rorysam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently 19 and I'm from Singapore. I'm posting here in the non-trad threads cuz' I'm not 'traditionally' a science student. I just completed junior college (under the brit. system - i.e. the GCE A levels) and I'm considered an Arts student. Right now, I'm serving my military service - compulsory for the guys when they reach 18 - and i'll be done in 09. I will matriculate at a local U in 2010, complete my UG studies when i'm about 25.

i'm not sure how it's like in the states, but having not taken any sci. subjects in junior college, i can't take up a sci. major in the local universities (even if we may allowed to take introductory classes). and much less, go to med school. thing is - singapore doesn't really offer 'pre-med' programs; we only have med school or no med school. you don't study for a major and do a pre-med prog enroute to med school. you just get there. and yes, you need more than perfect grades at junior college.

there is this Duke-NUS post-bacc med school in singapore, which is great, but the problem is i'll still need a degree in the sciences before i can enroll. if anyone's interested though.. http://www.gms.edu.sg/index.php?Education/Curriculum/The Duke Model

i'll graduate by 25 with a math/econ, or maybe a biz degree. i think i'd have to work for a few years before i can go back to school for a post bacc. a positive gauge: 6 years? i'll be 31 by then.

from there i'm not sure what to do. should i go study for a sci. major at undergrad level...then enroll into a grad med school (like the duke-nus thing). or can i go overseas..maybe to the states..and enter a post-bacc. prog, before entering med school. also, generally how long are post-bacc. programs (i've heard from a range of 1 to 4 years)? and the costs?

i don't really know what to expect, wanting to make a shot like that - probably an uphill road - and really, all i can do at the moment is to find out my options (which could ultimately be reduced by financial restraints, academic performances, and what not) ...... and brush up on my chemistry.

haven't really talked to anyone seriously about this yet...even i think it's a little far off... but really, it'll be nice if someone could talk me through this.

*edit: i just checked the site again, and well, Duke-NUS doesn't require you to be a sci. major. But...they still require a MCAT score. just read a couple more threads...and i'm wondering if it's possible to do the prereqs while i'm working (and how long does it take you guys?)

Members don't see this ad.

you do not need to be a science major to attend a US medical school (i think this is the goal. i got lost along there). in fact, it is less and less common.

yes, it is possible to do the pre-reqs while working. it can be difficult, depending on what you are taking and how much you are working. i would recommend working no more than 20 hours a week. at that pace, you should be able to complete all of your pre-reqs in 2 years. but then again, why not just take them when you are working on your undergrad degree? again, you do not need to be a science major. you can do econ if you like, just take biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics.

can you clarify - are you trying to attend medical school in the US, or in singapore?

Okee dokee - there are a lot of factors I'm unfamiliar with here, but I'll try to help out since nu's the only other response.

Like nu said, you don't need a science degree for med school here, just the science pre-reqs. If I read your plan right, you're looking to get an undergrad degree in biz etc, then another bachelors in science, and then med school thing through the duke program? If I read the info on the duke program correctly you don't need a science degree, just the science courses. Can you not take the Bio I&II, Chem I&II, Physics I&II and Orgo I&II while majoring in Biz?

I think you should call the duke program and see what they say. I'm sure your situation isn't completely novel. Whatever you do, keep those grades up!

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
, i guess it's still a long way, so i'm just considering my options as i go ahead (everything said, i still think i'm a little insane). thanks for the input, guys. well, i am actually thinking of doing the prereqs on top of my uni course, just not sure if it's allowed or possible (adidas says impossible is nothing, though.). anyways, i still have more than a year in boot camp to figure things out and get some answers from the colleges.

oh and, nu2004, yep if i can think i'll prefer to stay in singapore for my studies.

thanks guys!

oh and, nu2004, yep if i can think i'll prefer to stay in singapore for my studies.

thanks guys!

Hard to know what you are saying with the above. Bear in mind that most of the advice on the nontrad board is for getting into US med schools. If you are looking for input on training in Singapore, you probably want to look at the appropriate international forum on SDN. Also note that it is generally easier to get into a US med school with US prereqs, so if you are saying you are going to take the prereqs in singapore, it may make things more difficult than some of the posters above have indicated. Again, I would probably try to find someone on one of the international forums who has taken a similar path to what you are contemplating.