Quantcast

19 credit hours.

DATBooster | The Ultimate DAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Dentista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating 19 credit hours.

I'm wondering who here has done around this amount, how was it for you? I know classes are different, and this post is a little vague (about the other classes I am taking), etc etc.
But aside from chem + bio (and both their labs), and math, one of those classes is an intermediate Spanish and another is an intro psych class (thinking about adding the psych class because the teacher hands all students A's + the study guides are word-for-word test material -- it's pretty much confirmed by all students).

So for people who have taken on a similar amount of hours, was there anything you wished or are glad you did/didn't do? Any advice you'd like to bestow onto me? ;):thumbup:

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
...19 is not hard to do, you will need to study a few extra hours a week. However, if you think it will hurt your grades, then you really shouldn't do it.
I know someone who did 20-22 units for 2 years and all his classes where all tough engineering courses.

bigstix808

Mac Daddy Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i did 21 my graduating semester (3 sciences with lab, 1 science no lab, 1 theatere class, 1 biotechnology class, 1 XIDS class <-BS class), and 19 the semester before that. it was tuff, but i just really learned to manage my time. made 2 B's and rest A's that last semester, but i think i was just more motovated to graduate!!

Lurchdubious

the Homeless Ninja
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
definitely doable, tho i would say it also depends on labs and amount of work required. my first year of school i didn't take any science, but took 36 total credits while working 30-38 hours per week. (and also paying attention to my girlfriend ;)). I maintained a 4.0.

La Dentista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, sounds good.

I'm guessing it's all about the time managament, I know it's not hard or impossible to do, was just wondering about things to watch out for/experiences/possible warnings :]

La Dentista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
definitely doable, tho i would say it also depends on labs and amount of work required. my first year of school i didn't take any science, but took 36 total credits while working 30-38 hours per week. (and also paying attention to my girlfriend ;)). I maintained a 4.0.

:thumbup: Since you seem to do well in the whole time managament area, want to shine down any advice?

Lurchdubious

the Homeless Ninja
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:thumbup: Since you seem to do well in the whole time managament area, want to shine down any advice?
for me it's all about prioritizing. I do the assignments that are due the soonest first. It's also helpful to tackle the subjects you like the least first (or you may end up procrastinating). If I have a paper coming up I'll break it down beginning about 2 weeks before. first I'll spend a couple hours looking for sources one day, next I'll spend some time reading through the sources on a different day, do some more on another day, etc. I don't like waiting until the day before to begin a 10 page paper; doesn't work for me.

In studying for exams I like to make a study guide, or occasionally flash cards, and carry them with me as I walk around campus, study them while in a boring class, or even right before bed. This semester I have 16 credits, 3 upper division science courses (which take most of my time), one online course, and Spanish. Since it's my last semester and I've already been accepted I'm only aiming for B's and C's, although I've worked pretty hard and been able to maintain A's so far, so finals will be pretty easy ;). I actually have to have a freaking bug collection for my Invertebrate Zoology class (I'm sitting in lecture right now, actually), and it's worth 20% of my grade. I'm only going to do enough to get half the points and not stress about running around outside in a field with a butterfly net.

Frederico Albin

Yes thats my bulldog :)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you determine the amounts of credits that you are going to take based on the amount you have taken earlier. I took 17 credits last semester with some challenging courses like bio/eng/math among few others and I thought I could take maybe one more class. So for next semester Im thinking about going 19-20.

Im also planning on going to summer school, how many courses do you guys often take during summer?

Neuro178

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This semester I'm taking 20 credits. It was hard to adjust to at first, but you'll get the hang of it. I usually take about 16 credits.

This sem I'm taking ochem 2, FS Bio (a lab/presentation/report writing class), physics 1, a history 200-level, and a independent study/lab for neuroscience. With 3 labs + ind study lab, I've been in the lab for about... 10 hours a week. Not recommended!!

Just limit your number of labs and you should be fine... :oops:

sajjy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i havent taken any sem less than 17 credits with maximum going upto 21. And i think the last non-science class i took was in first semester and will be completing 117 by the end of this spring semester......
i still dont know why i overkilled myself....