1st and 2nd year grades....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docman85

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know there are a few posts about this but we recently had a PD from an osteo EM residency come to our school and discuss things that they like to see if applicants. He stated that they want to see "strong grades, rather than an off the chart board score..." THis is all fine and dandy except I have almost been brainwashed into thinking that just passing is fine for first 2 years (obviously you want to do as good as possible) and then ace the boards and your 3rd/4th years rotations.

I am wanting to know what others experience has been either with recently going through the match or current residents? Also I could never get the PD to give me an ideal GPA, he just stated "high" was what they were looking for.

I am only a first year with a 2.9, hoping to God that I have not screwed myself early in the game.

Members don't see this ad.

So I know there are a few posts about this but we recently had a PD from an osteo EM residency come to our school and discuss things that they like to see if applicants. He stated that they want to see "strong grades, rather than an off the chart board score..." THis is all fine and dandy except I have almost been brainwashed into thinking that just passing is fine for first 2 years (obviously you want to do as good as possible) and then ace the boards and your 3rd/4th years rotations.

I am wanting to know what others experience has been either with recently going through the match or current residents? Also I could never get the PD to give me an ideal GPA, he just stated "high" was what they were looking for.

I am only a first year with a 2.9, hoping to God that I have not screwed myself early in the game.

If it's osteo, and you are applying osteo, impressing them on a rotation will go much further than your application. Where I matched, the PD was "unaware" of my grades, board scores, etc after I rotated with them. He claimed he didn't know any of that information when I was interviewing with him. However, after the interview they may have looked, but I don't think they cared as much after I proved myself. If applying allo, you will run into the grades/scores issue more.

As a chief resident (in a DO program) who did a decent amount of interviews this season, I can tell you that while grades count to some degree and board scores count a ton too, we actually like our people to have a personality and people skills too.

The best docs aren't necessarily the smartest. They're the ones that can apply the knowledge the best, while still being able to relate to people.